Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Emirates A380 jet returns to Sydney after engine failure

Emirates A380 jet returns to Sydney after engine failure

Old Nov 12th 2012, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirates A380 jet returns to Sydney after engine failure

Plummet to their death :-) You should b,ve a journo. There are statistics on the world wide interweb net but I can't be fagged to dig them out as I have genuine man flu. Seen the Dr and everything, had to dissuade him from calling an ambulance though.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 6:06 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the bottom line is that air travel *is* the safest form of transport under normal circumstances, but when something does go wrong - which is fortunately very rare - the death toll from a single accident can be higher than for any other form of transport.

I've not been on an A380 yet, but friends who did a few weeks ago said that the sheer number of passengers meant that serving the meals took a ridiculously extended amount of time and the queues for the toilets afterwards were enormous. Is this a common problem with the A380 or were the cabin crew just having an off day?
Old Nov 12th 2012, 7:58 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
I'm in the industry and I can assure you that flying is the safest mode of transport. Please note that no one was even scratched in any of these incidents.
Scared shitless, maybe.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:31 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
I've not been on an A380 yet, but friends who did a few weeks ago said that the sheer number of passengers meant that serving the meals took a ridiculously extended amount of time and the queues for the toilets afterwards were enormous. Is this a common problem with the A380 or were the cabin crew just having an off day?
My prefered ac for trips back to UK at my own expense hence going economy Never experienced a problem yet and there are about 16 trolley dollies downstairs, so maybe a crew shortage. I always reserve a seat at the front (Emirates allow you to reserve seats as soon as you book your flight, not only at the online check in stage 24 hours before) where there are 4 toilets, dunno what it's like down the back.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikewot
My prefered ac for trips back to UK at my own expense hence going economy Never experienced a problem yet and there are about 16 trolley dollies downstairs, so maybe a crew shortage. I always reserve a seat at the front (Emirates allow you to reserve seats as soon as you book your flight, not only at the online check in stage 24 hours before) where there are 4 toilets, dunno what it's like down the back.
Have flown it 5-6 times and my only comment is they do seem to slam it onto the runway, but I guess it is a pretty heavy weight to be handling?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Have flown it 5-6 times and my only comment is they do seem to slam it onto the runway, but I guess it is a pretty heavy weight to be handling?
What, 617 tons instead of 358 tons?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
I've always thought the landings quite smooth for auto land but not quite 777-300 smooth. I'm more used to the dash 8 which smashes down carrier deck landing style, in about 400 flights only 3 gentle landings.