British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Emirates A380 jet returns to Sydney after engine failure (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/emirates-a380-jet-returns-sydney-after-engine-failure-777336/)

mikewot Nov 12th 2012 5:08 pm

Re: Emirates A380 jet returns to Sydney after engine failure

Plummet to their death :-) You should b,ve a journo. There are statistics on the world wide interweb net but I can't be fagged to dig them out as I have genuine man flu. Seen the Dr and everything, had to dissuade him from calling an ambulance though.

Eeyore Nov 12th 2012 6:06 pm

Surely the bottom line is that air travel *is* the safest form of transport under normal circumstances, but when something does go wrong - which is fortunately very rare - the death toll from a single accident can be higher than for any other form of transport.

I've not been on an A380 yet, but friends who did a few weeks ago said that the sheer number of passengers meant that serving the meals took a ridiculously extended amount of time and the queues for the toilets afterwards were enormous. Is this a common problem with the A380 or were the cabin crew just having an off day?

Bahtatboy Nov 12th 2012 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10378460)
I'm in the industry and I can assure you that flying is the safest mode of transport. Please note that no one was even scratched in any of these incidents.

Scared shitless, maybe.

mikewot Nov 13th 2012 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 10378749)
I've not been on an A380 yet, but friends who did a few weeks ago said that the sheer number of passengers meant that serving the meals took a ridiculously extended amount of time and the queues for the toilets afterwards were enormous. Is this a common problem with the A380 or were the cabin crew just having an off day?

My prefered ac for trips back to UK at my own expense hence going economy :) Never experienced a problem yet and there are about 16 trolley dollies downstairs, so maybe a crew shortage. I always reserve a seat at the front (Emirates allow you to reserve seats as soon as you book your flight, not only at the online check in stage 24 hours before) where there are 4 toilets, dunno what it's like down the back.

Jim Smith Nov 13th 2012 11:36 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10379514)
My prefered ac for trips back to UK at my own expense hence going economy :) Never experienced a problem yet and there are about 16 trolley dollies downstairs, so maybe a crew shortage. I always reserve a seat at the front (Emirates allow you to reserve seats as soon as you book your flight, not only at the online check in stage 24 hours before) where there are 4 toilets, dunno what it's like down the back.

Have flown it 5-6 times and my only comment is they do seem to slam it onto the runway, but I guess it is a pretty heavy weight to be handling?

LaLaLayla Nov 13th 2012 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 10380192)
Have flown it 5-6 times and my only comment is they do seem to slam it onto the runway, but I guess it is a pretty heavy weight to be handling?

What, 617 tons instead of 358 tons? :D

mikewot Nov 13th 2012 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 10380192)

I've always thought the landings quite smooth for auto land but not quite 777-300 smooth. I'm more used to the dash 8 which smashes down carrier deck landing style, in about 400 flights only 3 gentle landings.