Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Emirate Airlines has been sold to Bharain!

Emirate Airlines has been sold to Bharain!

Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:54 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirate Airlines has been sold to Bharain!

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
Cheers..

To make it a bit further complicated Sheikh Mo of Dubai got an Al-Nahyan mum, and got a Bani Fatima son in law in Sheikh Mansour (The Royal chamberlain) that married Sheikha Manal so the two families are sort of joined at the hip..

The Maktoums might gnash their teeth if the Al-Nahyans "take over" Dubai in a financial sense but it would be worth untold billions for Dubai as a financial hub to have direct access to Al-Nahyan wealth I think.
Just look at the Amlak Tamweel merger..under the Real Estate Bank of Abu Dhabi actually.
Apart from the benefits of avoiding a possible financial crisis such a move safeguards the Maktoum family fortune inside UAE itself which will eventually carry the day I think.

At the end of the day we got two emirates..

One with pots of gold so huge that they employs thousands of people to basically ship it out of Abu Dhabi to financial markets all over the world.
The other one is cash-strapped at the moment but got spectacular developments and have become a major trading and financial centre in the region.

They are within shouting distance of each other...The writing is on the wall I suspect.

Shades of Nostradamus about this famous quote from Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Makhtoum:
''My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I drive a Mercedes,
my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel." ''

Imho, the stronger position held by AD is in a small way due to the circumspect Sheikh Zayed's legacy- not to mention greater oil&gas
reserves of course and retention of land.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of
Default Re: Emirate Airlines has been sold to Bharain!

Originally Posted by Eva
Shades of Nostradamus about this famous quote from Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Makhtoum:
''My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I drive a Mercedes,
my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel." ''

Imho, the stronger position held by AD is in a small way due to the circumspect Sheikh Zayed's legacy- not to mention greater oil&gas
reserves of course and retention of land.

Well, the Maktoums will most likely continue to be rich and influential whatever happens. But I see what you mean...

Sheikh Zayed is a person that have grown in stature over time, my favo story about him is the famous water incident at the palace.

"Thirsty bedo walks up to the palace and asks for a glass of water, annoyed guards chase him away...He walks away but Sheikh Zayed that had been approaching the gate ask the guards what is what about.
After being told the story he flew into an absolute rage and had the scared guards practically drag the poor guy back to drink his fill. For an old chieftain of a desert tribe like Zayed not giving a thirsty fellow tribesman water was more than a sin, it was a unthinkable.."

Of course the fact that the old palace was built to guard the only freshwater well on Abu Dhabi itself comes into it but the morals show a strict "desert" ethic in many ways.