British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Emirate Airlines has been sold to Bharain! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/emirate-airlines-has-been-sold-bharain-574652/)

Bison Nov 22nd 2008 6:48 pm

Emirate Airlines has been sold to Bharain!

A friend of mine who has worked on all the Networks in T3 has told me today that Mr Maktoum had approached the Bahrain Royals for some money, they turned round and said ok, but we want Emirates Airline and apparently that's exactly what they got.

Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Bison

The Dean Nov 22nd 2008 7:07 pm

Re: Emirate Airlines has been sold to Bharain!

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 6999580)
A friend of mine who has worked on all the Networks in T3 has told me today that Mr Maktoum had approached the Bharain Royals for some money, they turned round and said ok, but we want Emirates Airline and apparently that's exactly what they got.

Bison

Anything similar? Yes - I've heard that Princess Diana was the illegitimate love child of JFK............ this is about as likely as your story.

Bison Nov 22nd 2008 7:37 pm

Anything similar? Yes - I've heard that Princess Diana was the illegitimate love child of JFK............ this is about as likely as your story.
I'm not saying it's true, purely something I heard, don't shoot the messenger.

Bison

Fairydust Nov 23rd 2008 2:41 am

I heard that 50% of it may be sold

Kix Nov 23rd 2008 6:42 am

A little bird told me that 51% of it was sold to the Al Nahyan's on thursday.....

admon Nov 23rd 2008 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 7000539)
A little bird told me that 51% of it was sold to the Al Nahyan's on thursday.....

if its true, the sale of dubai silverware is underway.

Could I offer 1,000dhs for the Burj Al Arab?

Charismatic Nov 23rd 2008 7:08 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7000548)

Have you considered the maintenance bill? :eek:

lionheart Nov 23rd 2008 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 6999580)
A friend of mine who has worked on all the Networks in T3 has told me today that Mr Maktoum had approached the Bahrain Royals for some money, they turned round and said ok, but we want Emirates Airline and apparently that's exactly what they got.

Bison

What exactly do you mean by "all the Networks in T3"...it means zilch to me.

admon Nov 23rd 2008 7:12 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7000571)
What exactly do you mean by "all the Networks in T3"...it means zilch to me.

computer networks

Terminal 3

come on LH, duuuhhh?

lionheart Nov 23rd 2008 7:15 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7000575)
computer networks

Terminal 3

come on LH, duuuhhh?

Why didn't the joker say what he means. Just too damned lazy...duhhh? It really pisses me off when people use initials for work related things ...as if we all work in the same field.

admon Nov 23rd 2008 7:18 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7000578)
Why didn't the joker say what he means. Just too damned lazy...duhhh? It really pisses me off when people use initials for work related things ...as if we all work in the same field.

I work in publishing mate and it seemed pretty obvious

Squirty Cream Nov 23rd 2008 10:45 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7000548)
if its true, the sale of dubai silverware is underway.

Too late, that's already owned by Abu Dhabi.........

W10 Nov 23rd 2008 11:15 am

I heard it was sold two weeks ago. Seriously.

But I haven't heard anything from a remotely credible source. Emirates is probably the last asset they will sell off.

pauldxb Nov 23rd 2008 11:22 am

THE ACTUAL TRUTH !!!!

Sheikh Mo approached Sheikh Khalifa for a loan & part of the loan was a guarentee that if it wasnt paid back Abu Dhabi would get both Emirates airline & Port Rashid. This was REFUSED by Sheikh Mo but both parties are still in negotiation

admon Nov 23rd 2008 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7001005)
THE ACTUAL TRUTH !!!!

Sheikh Mo approached Sheikh Khalifa for a loan & part of the loan was a guarentee that if it wasnt paid back Abu Dhabi would get both Emirates airline & Port Rashid. This was REFUSED by Sheikh Mo but both parties are still in negotiation

Ok, 2,000dhs. But i want JBH thrown in for that much as well.

The Dean Nov 23rd 2008 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7001005)
THE ACTUAL TRUTH !!!!

I think, for a statement of such magnitude, you ought to at least hint at your source........

twinkle-star Nov 23rd 2008 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7000578)

Sorry even i got that one .....:lol:

pauldxb Nov 23rd 2008 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7001320)
I think, for a statement of such magnitude, you ought to at least hint at your source........

Sultan Bin Sulayem

bimcnorth Nov 23rd 2008 9:10 pm

I don´t think Sheikh Khalifa is doing any negotiations by himself, not even on the behalf of Abu Dhabi..

So it´s either the "Bani Mohammad bin Khalifa" fraction that basically is the old guard that was in power under Sheikh Zayed or the bright and ambitious "Bani Fatima" block headed by the crown prince Sheikh Mohammad bin Zayed that currently is most powerful in Abu Dhabi, that is negotiating with Sheikh Mo I mean.
Most things in Abu Dhabi comes into either fractions sphere of influence.

That of course means that Khalifa can go hunting, visit other royalties and generally enjoy life as his ambitious brothers are at each others throat privately, while of course instantly shielding each other from outsiders if the need arise..

So who is negotiating for Abu Dhabi?, the two main fractions don´t necessary have the same view on Dubai..

shiva Nov 23rd 2008 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7002158)
I don´t think Sheikh Khalifa is doing any negotiations by himself, not even on the behalf of Abu Dhabi..

So it´s either the "Bani Mohammad bin Khalifa" fraction that basically is the old guard that was in power under Sheikh Zayed or the bright and ambitious "Bani Fatima" block headed by the crown prince Sheikh Mohammad bin Zayed that currently is most powerful in Abu Dhabi, that is negotiating with Sheikh Mo I mean.
Most things in Abu Dhabi comes into either fractions sphere of influence.

That of course means that Khalifa can go hunting, visit other royalties and generally enjoy life as his ambitious brothers are at each others throat privately, while of course instantly shielding each other from outsiders if the need arise..

So who is negotiating for Abu Dhabi?, the two main fractions don´t necessary have the same view on Dubai..

top post

AD's sheikh mo often sees eye to eye with Dubai's Sheikh Mo so i would suspect that that may be the route they are taking but any help given will cost Dubai dearly. The old guard whilst willing to shield dubai from international embembarrassment would privately be very happy for Dubai to collapse especially if it meant they owned the place.

Never forget that only 60 odd years ago Dubai and Abu Dhabi were often raiding each other with blood spilled as a result and neither side is that fond of the other.

bimcnorth Nov 23rd 2008 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7002203)
top post

AD's sheikh mo often sees eye to eye with Dubai's Sheikh Mo so i would suspect that that may be the route they are taking but any help given will cost Dubai dearly. The old guard whilst willing to shield dubai from international embembarrassment would privately be very happy for Dubai to collapse especially if it meant they owned the place.

Never forget that only 60 odd years ago Dubai and Abu Dhabi were often raiding each other with blood spilled as a result and neither side is that fond of the other.

Cheers..:thumbup:

To make it a bit further complicated Sheikh Mo of Dubai got an Al-Nahyan mum, and got a Bani Fatima son in law in Sheikh Mansour (The Royal chamberlain) that married Sheikha Manal so the two families are sort of joined at the hip..;)

The Maktoums might gnash their teeth if the Al-Nahyans "take over" Dubai in a financial sense but it would be worth untold billions for Dubai as a financial hub to have direct access to Al-Nahyan wealth I think.
Just look at the Amlak Tamweel merger..under the Real Estate Bank of Abu Dhabi actually.
Apart from the benefits of avoiding a possible financial crisis such a move safeguards the Maktoum family fortune inside UAE itself which will eventually carry the day I think.

At the end of the day we got two emirates..

One with pots of gold so huge that they employs thousands of people to basically ship it out of Abu Dhabi to financial markets all over the world.
The other one is cash-strapped at the moment but got spectacular developments and have become a major trading and financial centre in the region.

They are within shouting distance of each other...The writing is on the wall I suspect.

The Dean Nov 24th 2008 4:37 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7001952)
Sultan Bin Sulayem

Surprising then that nobody else has heard this.........

The Dean Nov 24th 2008 4:39 am

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7002356)

To make it a bit further complicated Sheikh Mo of Dubai got an Al-Nahyan mum, and got a Bani Fatima son in law in Sheikh Mansour (The Royal chamberlain) that married Sheikha Manal so the two families are sort of joined at the hip..;)

The Maktoums might gnash their teeth if the Al-Nahyans "take over" Dubai in a financial sense but it would be worth untold billions for Dubai as a financial hub to have direct access to Al-Nahyan wealth I think.
Just look at the Amlak Tamweel merger..under the Real Estate Bank of Abu Dhabi actually.
Apart from the benefits of avoiding a possible financial crisis such a move safeguards the Maktoum family fortune inside UAE itself which will eventually carry the day I think.

One with pots of gold so huge that they employs thousands of people to basically ship it out of Abu Dhabi to financial markets all over the world.
The other one is cash-strapped at the moment but got spectacular developments and have become a major trading and financial centre in the region.

They are within shouting distance of each other...The writing is on the wall I suspect.

It's the old dilemma then.............. which would you rather be?

A rich slave or a poor free man?

pauldxb Nov 24th 2008 4:52 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7002973)
Surprising then that nobody else has heard this.........

I thought id throw it in there and wait for the feedback & congrats your the first, no a fiend of mine who works at Emirates told me, but hey this is Dubai who really knows

Grace O Malley Nov 24th 2008 7:08 am

Yes i heard that also

Eva Nov 24th 2008 1:27 pm

Agree with Shiva...great posting bimcnorth- a joy to read.Keep it up
Please....

Eva Nov 24th 2008 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7003262)
Yes i heard that also

For sure EYEK merge......

Confucius Nov 24th 2008 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7004126)
For sure EYEK merge......

Etirates Airlines...Catchy...

The Dean Nov 24th 2008 1:38 pm

Incest........... a great game for all the family!!!

Eva Nov 24th 2008 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7004172)
Incest........... a great game for all the family!!!

Nothing new there then probably.

Eva Nov 24th 2008 1:54 pm

Shades of Nostradamus about this famous quote from Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Makhtoum:
''My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I drive a Mercedes,
my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel." ''

Imho, the stronger position held by AD is in a small way due to the circumspect Sheikh Zayed's legacy- not to mention greater oil&gas
reserves of course and retention of land.

bimcnorth Nov 24th 2008 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7004221)
Shades of Nostradamus about this famous quote from Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Makhtoum:
''My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I drive a Mercedes,
my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel." ''

Imho, the stronger position held by AD is in a small way due to the circumspect Sheikh Zayed's legacy- not to mention greater oil&gas
reserves of course and retention of land.

Well, the Maktoums will most likely continue to be rich and influential whatever happens. But I see what you mean...

Sheikh Zayed is a person that have grown in stature over time, my favo story about him is the famous water incident at the palace.

"Thirsty bedo walks up to the palace and asks for a glass of water, annoyed guards chase him away...He walks away but Sheikh Zayed that had been approaching the gate ask the guards what is what about.
After being told the story he flew into an absolute rage and had the scared guards practically drag the poor guy back to drink his fill. For an old chieftain of a desert tribe like Zayed not giving a thirsty fellow tribesman water was more than a sin, it was a unthinkable.."

Of course the fact that the old palace was built to guard the only freshwater well on Abu Dhabi itself comes into it but the morals show a strict "desert" ethic in many ways.