British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Elizabeth Taylor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/elizabeth-taylor-710534/)

Blue Cat Mar 23rd 2011 1:30 pm

Elizabeth Taylor

Has died :( I used to love watching her on the silverscreen, a real legend.

Millhouse Mar 23rd 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Elizabeth Taylor

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9259268)

where are you going to get the jewelery from now?

oops, I always get Taylor and Duke mixed up.

Spugsy Mar 23rd 2011 1:55 pm

That's a shame, before my time but she seemed nice enough - although was good mates with Michael Jackson wasn't she?

Also didn't Za Za Gabor (I'm positive that's not how you spell it) have her leg amputated the other week? She'll be next for the knackers yard.

Boomhauer Mar 23rd 2011 1:57 pm

Sad, she always came across as a gentle person on TV interviews.

NorthernLad Mar 23rd 2011 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9259319)
That's a shame, before my time but she seemed nice enough - although was good mates with Michael Jackson wasn't she?

Also didn't Za Za Gabor (I'm positive that's not how you spell it) have her leg amputated the other week? She'll be next for the knackers yard.

Below the knee I think. She is properly nuts.

Spugsy Mar 23rd 2011 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 9259334)
Below the knee I think. She is properly nuts.

And all those shoes eh? Now she can wear only one of each...

nottmbantam Mar 23rd 2011 3:10 pm

Sad to hear the news, a proper Hollywood Legend.

lionheart Mar 23rd 2011 4:24 pm

In her youth, one of the most beautiful women alive.

rowell Mar 23rd 2011 5:00 pm

Cant believe you beat Lionheart to that one :p

hnd Mar 23rd 2011 9:31 pm

Can somebody remind me when she last made / starred in a decent film please and wasn't just famous for - well, being famous, or her various marriages or weird friends?

Kim67 Mar 24th 2011 1:20 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 9260329)
Can somebody remind me when she last made / starred in a decent film please and wasn't just famous for - well, being famous, or her various marriages or weird friends?

Nominated for five oscars and winning two for Best Actress - isn't that enough to make you a screen legend. She was gorgeous in her younger years, bit strange, but most arty types are.

Ethos83 Mar 24th 2011 5:02 am

I never thought much of her because all the pictures of Eliz Taylor were of the old woman - fat, awful dyed black hair, glittery jewelry - not attractive.

Then I saw one of the movies she did back in the fifties. Whoa! A stunner.

But she wasn't the kind of stunner that would have made her an actress today. Funny how our concept of hollywood beauty changes over the years. A lot of today's starlets wouldn't have cut the cake in the 1950s because they're too scrawny. Elizabeth Taylor was....voluptuous.

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9260743)
Nominated for five oscars and winning two for Best Actress - isn't that enough to make you a screen legend. She was gorgeous in her younger years, bit strange, but most arty types are.

kittycat1 Mar 24th 2011 5:19 am

hnd- also her enormous contribution to charities, she has been a huge supporter of aids charities, I believe she has her own aids charity as well

Meow Mar 24th 2011 6:47 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9261037)
hnd- also her enormous contribution to charities, she has been a huge supporter of aids charities, I believe she has her own aids charity as well

Exactly! She did a huge amount of work for AIDS awareness and fundraising, before it became mainstream as well and she ought to be remembered for that as much as anything else.

The stupidest comment I have seen about her death was some daft cow saying 'Now she'll be reunited with Richard Burton in heaven' - and all the other husbands too presumably! That's be a nice menage a huit!

Ethos83 Mar 24th 2011 6:58 am

I wonder if her cloud will be pink lined with sparkling diamonds?

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9261132)
Exactly! She did a huge amount of work for AIDS awareness and fundraising, before it became mainstream as well and she ought to be remembered for that as much as anything else.

The stupidest comment I have seen about her death was some daft cow saying 'Now she'll be reunited with Richard Burton in heaven' - and all the other husbands too presumably! That's be a nice menage a huit!