Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The elation that a sunny day brings...

The elation that a sunny day brings...

Old May 22nd 2010, 8:14 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The elation that a sunny day brings...

[QUOTE=Eva;8581678]
Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Ah know @Ilklley but can't be arsed to research which side of Mother Shipton it sits.
This side.

And the sun's shining again this morning. Oh to be in England... (God, that sounds twee. It is ordered and peaceful though: no a/cs, no Ali's Snack Bar, no dust, no pre-bandaged drivers...)
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

For pale skinned (as in lily white) I struggle here- too hot, I've just recovered from second degree burns- the whole of the back of my legs and back were blistered, scabbed and f**king painful, spent the rest of my holiday in and out of hospitals and the doctors, including long lectures from my doctor on my stupidity. (I spent one day at the beach in 34 degree heat using factor 15 but didn't reapply after swimming so the damage was done). Luckily no long term damage, and then last weekend I spend half an hour in the sun with factor 15 on and got burnt again! I have now upped to complete sunblock as I just can't cope in this heat - I'm too much of an english rose!

I also recently had my skin analysed and was shocked by the results. My skin is badly sun damaged at the age of 33, the sun is bad bad bad! I don't want to look like a leather hand bag by 40 so am now taking care not to go out without a high factor sun screen on.

So for me I miss the fresh weather of the UK ( having said that I have burnt many times in the UK as wouldn't use sunblock on a daily basis like you do here). For me a happy temperature would be 27 max, but I love it when you go home and get rosy cheeks and have to wrap up warm.
Old May 22nd 2010, 6:11 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you get well soon, Kittycat. Glorious sunny evening here in God Own Country.
Old May 22nd 2010, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bahtatboy- the legs have more or less healed- 5 weeks on! Have a fab time in the UK xxx
Old May 22nd 2010, 6:45 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
For pale skinned (as in lily white) I struggle here- too hot, I've just recovered from second degree burns- the whole of the back of my legs and back were blistered, scabbed and f**king painful, spent the rest of my holiday in and out of hospitals and the doctors, including long lectures from my doctor on my stupidity. (I spent one day at the beach in 34 degree heat using factor 15 but didn't reapply after swimming so the damage was done). Luckily no long term damage, and then last weekend I spend half an hour in the sun with factor 15 on and got burnt again! I have now upped to complete sunblock as I just can't cope in this heat - I'm too much of an english rose!

I also recently had my skin analysed and was shocked by the results. My skin is badly sun damaged at the age of 33, the sun is bad bad bad! I don't want to look like a leather hand bag by 40 so am now taking care not to go out without a high factor sun screen on.

So for me I miss the fresh weather of the UK ( having said that I have burnt many times in the UK as wouldn't use sunblock on a daily basis like you do here). For me a happy temperature would be 27 max, but I love it when you go home and get rosy cheeks and have to wrap up warm.
dude. stay-under-cover... I'm Scotch... I'm not traditionally blue skinned, but can burn easily I guess. I prefer cold weather, walks on the beaches of Fife at Xmas, 2 degrees below, bliss... yet - I like it here, even in the summer... but you gotta never, ever, even with factor 99 sit in the sun. That's just not good...

You wanna go brown, spray it on....
Old May 22nd 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
dude. stay-under-cover... I'm Scotch... I'm not traditionally blue skinned, but can burn easily I guess. I prefer cold weather, walks on the beaches of Fife at Xmas, 2 degrees below, bliss... yet - I like it here, even in the summer... but you gotta never, ever, even with factor 99 sit in the sun. That's just not good...

You wanna go brown, spray it on....
I am from Scottish stock..red hair, green eyes, fair skin and freckles...I have lived abroad for almost 20 years, I don't sunbathe but I love the heat, I use a factor 50 and still burn even sitting in the shade. I use a sunblock all the time on my face.
oh and Autonomy ...you are a Scot or Scottish...... scotch is a drink darling and for our overseas brothers... it is whisky not whiskey
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:54 am