British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The elation that a sunny day brings... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/elation-sunny-day-brings-669180/)

lullabelle May 21st 2010 11:20 am

The elation that a sunny day brings...

For those from a colder, temperate climate...

Do you, as the title says, miss the elation of a sunny day? Here in the south east of the UK we're getting the first proper warm weekend of the year: it's been rather colder than it should have been. And everyone is so happy! My local Market is buzzing, cheery people are sitting outside enjoying the sunshine, parks filled with laughter etc etc. It doesn't half lift the spirits.

So what's it like when it's pretty much a sunny day everyday? And do you miss the joy of random weather. Or at least the joy of blue skies instead of the more common dull grey ones?

I'm interested as sun really does affect my mood: be fascinating to find out what it's like when it's on tap!

lullabelle May 21st 2010 11:22 am

Re: The elation that a sunny day brings...

Oops, sorry meant to post in the sandpit...

Millhouse May 21st 2010 11:42 am

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 8580676)
For those from a colder, temperate climate...

Do you, as the title says, miss the elation of a sunny day? Here in the south east of the UK we're getting the first proper warm weekend of the year: it's been rather colder than it should have been. And everyone is so happy! My local Market is buzzing, cheery people are sitting outside enjoying the sunshine, parks filled with laughter etc etc. It doesn't half lift the spirits.

So what's it like when it's pretty much a sunny day everyday? And do you miss the joy of random weather. Or at least the joy of blue skies instead of the more common dull grey ones?

I'm interested as sun really does affect my mood: be fascinating to find out what it's like when it's on tap!

Well today, I drove down the corniche, windows down, 40oC. I need sunshine and heat, but don't get excited by it anymore.

Rain however... in this place... that is exciting!

Jim Smith May 21st 2010 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8580713)
Well today, I drove down the corniche, windows down, 40oC. I need sunshine and heat, but don't get excited by it anymore.

Rain however... in this place... that is exciting!

I miss a nice brisk wind, whilst walking along the seaside, without being full of sand of course.

lionheart May 21st 2010 12:13 pm

Quite frankly I hate the weather here except during the months of November to April, when its bearable. My favourite climate by a mile is Nairobi where it's a comfortable 18-28 degC all year round.

Millhouse May 21st 2010 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8580767)
Quite frankly I hate the weather here except during the months of November to April, when its bearable. My favourite climate by a mile is Nairobi where it's a comfortable 18-28 degC all year round.

Why don't you just go there then? maybe, just maybe, it might have a positive effect on your outlook on life.

Roadking May 21st 2010 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8580799)
Why don't you just go there then? maybe, just maybe, it might have a positive effect on your outlook on life.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:yeah right!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ethos83 May 21st 2010 4:00 pm

It does make a difference. The weather in the UAE between November and April is glorious. Always sunny with tropical blue skies (the skies here are never a deep blue as you get in the UK, but are paler and have a tropical sheen to them. The clarity of the light at certain parts of the day is very strong that I sometimes stop and stand still to absorb it. Addictive? Yes.

Summer, however, is a different tale. White skies, white haze, white dust clouds for three solid months. Bright, yes, shiny, yes, GLARING, yes, but not blue.

While I miss very much a brisk cool wind and the variety of UK weather (the weather out here is exactly the same every single day. It's only over a long time period that you get the gradual heating and the gradual cooling), I have to admit that I don't miss the short, dark grey winter days and the damp blackness of winter evenings.

I am in a positive and great mood during the UAE winters, but the monotonousness of the seemingly endless summer months can get to me at times. Which is why frequent holidays are important.

Bahtatboy May 21st 2010 4:50 pm

Arrived back in Yorkshire at 10 this morning to glorious sunshine--perfect temperature, beautiful green countryside, immaculately kept lawns, tidy driveways, pretty houses. Those things have a very positive effect--endless heat and humidity are tiring, although the near-endless sunshine does have something of a positive effect its the total environment which is the governing factor.

However, arriving here on a perma-grey November morning to horizontal, chilled rain isn't so life-affirming...

Big pork pie for tea.:D

Patsy Stoned May 21st 2010 6:46 pm

I just love the weather here, just been for a dip in my pool at 10.30 at night, I have all the doors in my villa open and no a/c on...it is perfect..lovely to know that I will wake up tomorrow to sunshine :-)

Eva May 21st 2010 7:13 pm

[QUOTE=Bahtatboy;8581311]Arrived back in Yorkshire at 10 this morning to glorious sunshine--perfect temperature, beautiful green countryside, immaculately kept lawns, tidy driveways, pretty houses. Those things have a very positive effect--endless heat and humidity are tiring, although the near-endless sunshine does have something of a positive effect its the total environment which is the governing factor.

You just left slumdog India ffs,everything looks grand after that...well maybe not cellulite on my left thigh :frown:Too much pepsi,not enough Shirley but you 're further south, Harrogate probably.
New money.

Bahtatboy May 21st 2010 7:22 pm

[QUOTE=Eva;8581543]

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8581311)
Arrived back in Yorkshire at 10 this morning to glorious sunshine--perfect temperature, beautiful green countryside, immaculately kept lawns, tidy driveways, pretty houses. Those things have a very positive effect--endless heat and humidity are tiring, although the near-endless sunshine does have something of a positive effect its the total environment which is the governing factor.

You just left slumdog India ffs,everything looks grand after that...well maybe not cellulite on my left thigh :frown:Too much pepsi,not enough Shirley but you 're further south, Harrogate probably.
New money.

My "location" is a bit of a giveaway. Show us a picture of your left thigh and I'll let you know if its worse than Navi Mumbai. Mind you, if its only your left thigh then I'm trying to imagine anything that's worse than assymetrical cellulite. And any money's fine by me:D

lullabelle May 21st 2010 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8581496)
I just love the weather here, just been for a dip in my pool at 10.30 at night, I have all the doors in my villa open and no a/c on...it is perfect..lovely to know that I will wake up tomorrow to sunshine :-)

that sounds effin fabulous. And there was me getting excited cos I was about to sit out on me patio and have a glass of fizz. First evening drink outside of the year! It would be MUCH better with a pool!

hnd May 21st 2010 8:37 pm

Ok, am in our pool right now with a rather nice balloon shaped glass of something very nice. Isn't wireless/bluetooth (whatever you call it) a wonderful thing? Have had friends round for supper, have cleared up, got into the pool and chatted to family ... what a perfect way to end the evening:thumbsup:

Eva May 21st 2010 8:38 pm

[QUOTE=Bahtatboy;8581561]

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 8581543)

My "location" is a bit of a giveaway. Show us a picture of your left thigh and I'll let you know if its worse than Navi Mumbai. Mind you, if its only your left thigh then I'm trying to imagine anything that's worse than assymetrical cellulite. And any money's fine by me:D

Hahaaha-the right is less under attack for some reason:D
Ah know @Ilklley but can't be arsed to research which side of Mother Shipton it sits.