British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   El cheapo holiday... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/el-cheapo-holiday-752292/)

MataHari Mar 21st 2012 10:25 am

El cheapo holiday...

as a single mum with 'no money', what would be a nice place to go on holiday to in August...any offers of people offering us to stay at their lovely sea side villa will be considered.

Ethos83 Mar 21st 2012 10:44 am

Re: El cheapo holiday...

Sri Lanka is cheap as chips. It's monsoon season in August but it doesn't rain every day and when it does it's only for 2-3 hours at a time. It will be cooler and greener than Dubai.

Greek islands. Rent a cheap self flat somewhere within walking distance of a beach. Santorini is nice.

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 9964513)
as a single mum with 'no money', what would be a nice place to go on holiday to in August...any offers of people offering us to stay at their lovely sea side villa will be considered.

Bahtatboy Mar 21st 2012 11:04 am

There's a bloke in America who'd probably put you up.

Meow Mar 21st 2012 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9964573)

:rofl:

MataHari Mar 21st 2012 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9964538)
Sri Lanka is cheap as chips. It's monsoon season in August but it doesn't rain every day and when it does it's only for 2-3 hours at a time. It will be cooler and greener than Dubai.

Greek islands. Rent a cheap self flat somewhere within walking distance of a beach. Santorini is nice.

yeah, that's something I have been looking at, but it's quite daunting googling, sooo much stuff comes up and getting a bit lost as to where to start. And then you go and look on Tripadvisor and there's people saying how lovely it was and the next review is that it was the worst place ever :confused:

MataHari Mar 21st 2012 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9964573)

maybe his wife and 5 kids would object though...

Millhouse Mar 21st 2012 11:31 am

You need a month in Magaluf girl - that'll sort out any cobwebs.

Welivehere Mar 21st 2012 11:32 am

Cyprus - Good weather, 4hr direct flight and rent a villa / aparrment as per budget....

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/cyprus.htm

The Dean Mar 21st 2012 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 9964513)

Does it have to be a beach holiday?

MataHari Mar 21st 2012 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9964727)
Does it have to be a beach holiday?

I think so...I'd be going with a friend and her kids, so we'll be having them ranging from 5 years old to 18, which makes it a bit harder as the young ones will be fine if there's a beach and a pool, but the teenagers will want a bit more action.

kittycat1 Mar 21st 2012 2:16 pm

Thailand- once you're there its cheap as chips! Flights arent awful either. If you go to Koh Phangan, go north to Thong Nai Pan Yai, beautiful beach, little bungalows (name of where I stayed is Bamboo Bungalows )- 350-450 baht a night- sleeps 2- theres some bigger ones about as well if you want to have more to a room- it is basic- no hot water, funnny bed spread - mine had rabits and bears cuddling- aww sweet- but the people and place is lovely. I iwsh i'd had time to staythere longer. Koh Tao is also cheap as its a little more off the beaten track- beautiful beaches and we stayed in a posh villa there which was amazing and worked out at 100 aed a night but was lush with its own private infinity pool. It's chilled out, relaxed and a world away from here- was just what i needed and I'm sure you would love it there.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Province.html

weasel decentral Mar 22nd 2012 8:29 am

sharm el sheikh in Egypt is very cheap at the moment, they are doing a lot of promotions to try bring the tourists back.

Its a normal resort type location, so you don't have to experience the horrors of "real" Egypt but maybe the horrors of some chavtastic Brits and Russians

Ethos83 Mar 22nd 2012 8:50 am

Went to Sharm el Sheikh last November. Stayed at some fancy Marriott resort and paid about £55 per night, which included half board.

The commercial areas are absolutely awful. Blackpool on the Red Sea.

But the water, swimming, snorkelling and diving is fantastic and if you get an all-inclusive resort deal and never leave the resort it can be a great holiday.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 9966501)
sharm el sheikh in Egypt is very cheap at the moment, they are doing a lot of promotions to try bring the tourists back.

Its a normal resort type location, so you don't have to experience the horrors of "real" Egypt but maybe the horrors of some chavtastic Brits and Russians

Lorna at Vicenza Mar 22nd 2012 8:54 am

Costa cruises are selling cheap these days.

MataHari Mar 22nd 2012 8:59 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 9966501)

I would be up for that but my friend has been there before and wants to go somewhere new...pity, as the teenage boys would have liked that, I imagine sleazy bars etc...