EK in trouble?

Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EK in trouble?

MISS ANN i like you - you articulate yourself so well.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:39 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
MISS ANN i like you - you articulate yourself so well.
I need to get my arse in gear and articulate some work rather than wasting time on here!! And I have to articulate myself these days as nobody else is willing to articulate me...

Last edited by Miss Ann Thrope; Mar 9th 2017 at 5:42 am.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:44 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Another interesting and equally scary take:
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...us-up-disaster

The automation paradox: relying on machines reduces our basic skills because they don't routinely get used but when something goes wrong, necessitating human intervention, it is going to be something very extreme or unusual requiring a highly skilled response.....oops!
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:53 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
OK, i found the article. I haven't read back through it but, as I recall, the point was that the older pilot had learned his trade on equipment which required a more instinctive understanding and reading of the conditions outside, especially at night. The younger pilot had only ever worked on planes which were highly automated and thus hadn't developed instincts which allowed him to correctly interpret what was happening especially when the equipment was giving false readings. Therefore he exactly made the wrong calls on how to react.
Just read the article, it's interesting in the fact that its a nice piece of writing or an author's impression of what happened. Bad pilots/inexperienced pilots make bad decisions is about all I got from it.

Last edited by weasel decentral; Mar 9th 2017 at 6:09 am.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I need to get my arse in gear and articulate some work rather than wasting time on here!! And I have to articulate myself these days as nobody else is willing to articulate me...
Sometimes when the mrs is out I have a cheeky articulation session. Sometimes posh.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Sometimes when the mrs is out I have a cheeky articulation session. Sometimes posh.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 6:16 am
...we killed the flame

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Just read the article, it's interesting in the fact that its a nice piece of writing or an author's impression of what happened. Bad pilots/inexperienced pilots make bad decisions is about all I got from it.
And because equipment is so heavily automated these days, more and more operators will be less experienced and less capable of making good judgements when those extreme situations occur which require their intervention...
Old Mar 9th 2017, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I'm giving you a look. You know that, right?

Now stop making me talk about pensions and seem even more boring than usual.
Is the sentiment (in simple terms) of this pretty much true?

Remember, not only did you and I contribute to our Pension, our employer did, too. It totalled 15% of your income before taxes.

If you averaged only £15 000 over your working life, that's close to £220,500. Read that again. Did you see anywhere that the Government paid in one single penny?

We are talking about the money you and your employer put in a Government bank to ensure that you and I would have a retirement pension from the money we put in, it was not money that the Government had any right to spend elsewhere.

Now they've started to call the money we paid in an 'entitlement' when we reach the age to take it back.

If you calculate the future invested value of £2500 per year (yours & your employer's contribution) at a simple 5% interest (that's less than what the govt. pays on the money that it borrows from overseas), after 49 years of working you'd have £892,919.98.

If you took out only 3% per year, you'd receive £26,787.60 per year and it would last better than 30 years (that means until you're 95 if you retire at age 65) and that's with no interest paid on that final amount on deposit!

If you bought an annuity with the money and it paid 4% per year, you'd have a lifetime income of £1,976.40 per month.
If so, that's a bit shocking.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 11:26 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Is the sentiment (in simple terms) of this pretty much true?

If so, that's a bit shocking.
Hmmm, not really. That would only work if there was a pot that was invested to start with but the State Pension has never been a funded scheme and as soon as money is paid in it is paid straight out to others, as it has been from the outset.

Any NI payments made are not ring-fenced for an individual, it's a State arrangement so for everyone's benefit so you really can't do a calculation like that.

It's also overly simplistic and flawed. Not all NI payments go towards pensions. Some people pay in much less and are still entitled to receive a pension payment as it's an equitable system designed so that everyone receives an income in their later years as part of the overall welfare system.

People have been permitted to partially opt out (SERPS/S2P redirection) but that received criticism too and is far less beneficial than it was, partly as the monies redirected were, with hindsight, overoptimistic albeit many of us benefited from that.

The main point however, is that any payments to the State Pension have never been invested to the claim is essential pointless. Someone has woefully misunderstood the system.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 1:51 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

And because equipment is so heavily automated these days, more and more operators will be less experienced and less capable of making good judgements when those extreme situations occur which require their intervention...
The situation wasn't extreme according to the article, just the pilot's reaction. I think you are suffering the same confirmation bias that the author laboured to create. From one incident I might add.