British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   EK in trouble? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ek-trouble-893602/)

Irishbeekeeper Mar 8th 2017 9:08 am

EK in trouble?

I have been following the PPRune website for a while now and it has always been the usual EK pilots complaining and I would put most of it down to them being pampered babies but since late the tune has changed to a more serious tone. Words like 'before the inevitable happens' and 'hopefully there isnt a hole in the ground before they realize' are not words / sentences to be thrown about carelessly and I am concerned now.

Is it true that the training staff as well as both seat staff are mostly newbies?
Here is just one example of the many threads in the past, well, 1 year?

Good bye EK - PPRuNe Forums

Them being over-priced and snobbish obviously goes without saying but there is a huge difference between proud and careless.

mission Mar 8th 2017 9:59 am

Re: EK in trouble?

err what is 'PRRUNe'?

mission Mar 8th 2017 10:01 am

just read the post...dayummm
i'd have thought being an experienced pilot you could virtually pick and choose who YOU want to work for.
I have a mate who's a captain for Emirates...will ask him what's the DL

Pollyana Mar 8th 2017 10:12 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12199828)
just read the post...dayummm
i'd have thought being an experienced pilot you could virtually pick and choose who YOU want to work for.
I have a mate who's a captain for Emirates...will ask him what's the DL

Not that simple. Like any job you have to wait for a vacancy and then you have to work your way to seniority in that airline. Even if you enter as a Captain most airlines will still rank you below those who have been there longer. And when redundancy comes round its usually last in, first out, even if you have been flying for other airlines for years.

mission Mar 8th 2017 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12199835)
Not that simple. Like any job you have to wait for a vacancy and then you have to work your way to seniority in that airline. Even if you enter as a Captain most airlines will still rank you below those who have been there longer. And when redundancy comes round its usually last in, first out, even if you have been flying for other airlines for years.

ah i see....interesting.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 8th 2017 10:32 am

Flying jets, chasing hosties, seeing the world, getting paid good money and moaning.

Some people eh.

Irishbeekeeper Mar 8th 2017 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12199850)
Flying jets, chasing hosties, seeing the world, getting paid good money and moaning.

Some people eh.

In most cases I would agree with all of what you said mate, but not if it comes at the cost of over-working or tiredness / fatigue. I'd like my pilot to have an even number of take-offs and landings if you know what I mean

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 8th 2017 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12199879)
In most cases I would agree with all of what you said mate, but not if it comes at the cost of over-working or tiredness / fatigue. I'd like my pilot to have an even number of take-offs and landings if you know what I mean

Yeah, agreed.

Incidentally, how many cabs have you been in out here where the driver nods off on SZR?

mission Mar 8th 2017 11:23 am

most pilots i have seen have been mingers.....kinda goes hand in hand with you can't be gorgeous AND have a brain:p

Millhouse Mar 8th 2017 11:33 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12199891)
most pilots i have seen have been mingers.....kinda goes hand in hand with you can't be gorgeous AND have a brain:p

we've not met

Are pilots glorified bus drivers? Can't help thinking it's a job that won't exist in 10 years time.

Meow Mar 8th 2017 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12199894)
we've not met

Are pilots glorified bus drivers? Can't help thinking it's a job that won't exist in 10 years time.

I know quite a few pilots and that is pretty much how they describe themselves.

Most also don't earn anything close to what many people imagine.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 8th 2017 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12199894)
Can't help thinking it's a job that won't exist in 10 years time.

It barely exists now. They don't do anything beyond what a 7yr old could do on a simulator.

Meow Mar 8th 2017 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12199898)
It barely exists now. They don't do anything beyond what a 7yr old could do on a simulator.

Not watched the film Sully then?

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 8th 2017 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 12199900)
Not watched the film Sully then?

Nah. Sort of proves my point. When a pilot actually had to fly a plane, they made a film about it. :rofl:

Millhouse Mar 8th 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 12199896)
I know quite a few pilots and that is pretty much how they describe themselves.

Most also don't earn anything close to what many people imagine.

exactly. So when I was having my mid-life performance review :lol:, I looked into training to be a pilot.

Then I discovered it was something like 100k USD to fully train, for a job that starts on around 25kAED a month. Bit of a disconnect there.