British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   EK more flight cuts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ek-more-flight-cuts-896470/)

Millhouse May 8th 2017 11:30 am

EK more flight cuts

Smaller Bite of Big Apple: Emirates airline reduces flights to New York | Zawya UAE Edition

Only temporary... I wonder if it's linked to the staffing issues?

Dubai: Emirates on Monday has announced that it will temporarily cut its daily non-stop service to New York’s JFK down to twice a day.
The Dubai-based airline currently operates three flights to JFK.

In a statement, Emirates confirmed that the changes will take from June 4 until June 20, and will resume normal operations from July 1.

“Emirates can confirm that one of its three daily non-stop flights (EK 207/208) serving the New York (JFK) – Dubai (DXB) route will be cancelled from June 04, 2017 to June 30, 2017. This flight will be re-introduced on July 01, 2017,” an Emirates spokesperson said in an emailed statement to Gulf News.

scrubbedexpat141 May 8th 2017 4:07 pm

Re: EK more flight cuts

Surely linked...

NorthernLad May 11th 2017 10:43 am

Ouch....

Emirates profits nosedive 82% on low oil prices and terror concerns - Transport - ArabianBusiness.com

Statistix May 12th 2017 3:59 pm

A somewhat contradictory article - if EK has to buy its fuel, like most airlines, how can a drop in oil prices be a reason for a fall in profits? It's a good thing, surely? I assume I'm misunderstanding something............

big b May 13th 2017 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Statistix (Post 12251509)
A somewhat contradictory article - if EK has to buy its fuel, like most airlines, how can a drop in oil prices be a reason for a fall in profits? It's a good thing, surely? I assume I'm misunderstanding something............

Hi, airlines buy fuel in advance thereby hedging their bets as to a rise in fuel costs.... therefore with a fall in the cost of fuel they have previously paid over the odds for it and it impacts on their profitability. If they purchase in advance now and the price of fuel rises then they will make a saving against the cost of fuel...

Swings and roundabouts

Boomhauer May 13th 2017 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by big b (Post 12251757)
Hi, airlines buy fuel in advance thereby hedging their bets as to a rise in fuel costs.... therefore with a fall in the cost of fuel they have previously paid over the odds for it and it impacts on their profitability. If they purchase in advance now and the price of fuel rises then they will make a saving against the cost of fuel...

Swings and roundabouts

But if all the airlines bought their fuel in advance and 1 assumes they paid about the same, then why would the current lower price matter?

I can see a drop in profitability if some carriers bought much lower volume of fuel in advance (compared to EK) and subsequently bought fuel at current prices whicH allows them to lower the airfare but EK can't match them due to having higher fuel costs.