British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Eid (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/eid-932795/)

scrubbedexpat141 May 21st 2020 9:26 am

Eid

Who's got 3 days then?
It seems the rest of the region has declared apart from the UAE...work emailed today saying we might get Sun/Mon off or might get Sun/Mon/Tue off.
Public Holidays were announced for Sun/Mon/Tue so thought we'd follow that now but guess we wait and see.

Hoping for 3 days off, obviously but weirdly going to plan things for every day, just not hotel stays or the like.

We've made a list of shit we need to do or sort and it's pretty dull, but if we're smart and organised (I know, I'm super fun aren't I) then we'll have more time to chill, drink, do what we want.
We're moving so will have a day or two mornings of sorting more shit to sell, bin and donate.
Will have a bit of work to do, so will schedule a morning for that - we'll see. Really going to limit this though.
Sofa day. Going to dedicate an entire day to duvet, sofa, movies and takeaways.
Golf - will try and get at least one round in, which is exciting.
Personal admin - a morning to be booked or afternoon for moving jobs, calls and bookings.
Exercise - continue the morning jog / walks.

Lots to do but hoping for a good break as well. What's everyone else got planned?

csdf May 21st 2020 10:40 am

Re: Eid

Will be stuck at home, entertaining fractious children. Aka an anti-holiday.

Millhouse May 21st 2020 10:59 am

Long weekend at the all inclusive Hilton doubletree.
Friends over for pool party and dinner.
Several trips to the mall and one to IKEA.

that’s my neighbour probably. I’m staying in with the kid, wife and maid. May drive somewhere far away to buy and ice cream and come back.

nonthaburi May 21st 2020 1:34 pm

Been off since the 10th of May, back to work on the 31st. All government holiday. There are sometimes when Saudi has its benefits.

Miss Ann Thrope May 21st 2020 2:19 pm

This will be the 15th Eid that I have been with my Omani partner (jeeeeezus....) and the first that we will actually spend together as he is stuck here in the UK, where it will be just another lockdown day. Every other year he would get incredibly stressed about how much he hated Eid and having to endure days of family visits to the village with endless interrogation from dozens of relatives about his marital prospects (he turns 50 this year). I would invariably have to endure a barrage of moaning in advance of the event, which, of course then never really turned out to be as bad as he was expecting.

This year he is moaning about being home sick and wanting to be there for Eid :banghead:

Bless. It's mainly about the food I think. Especially lamb which is buried and slow cooked in smoke...tastes incredibly sour, interesting but definitely an acquired taste.

I won't miss being blasted awake at 6am by the Eid prayer being broadcast super loud from the loudspeakers of my local mosque in contravention of all tradition...(Eid prayer is supposed to be held outdoors).

scrubbedexpat141 May 28th 2020 9:43 am

Did everyone have a nice time then?

We chilled the **** out. Beers, bit of golf, movie days, really nice and relaxed.