British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Egyptian resort hotel bans alcohol and creates women only floor. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/egyptian-resort-hotel-bans-alcohol-creates-women-only-floor-796049/)

Boomhauer May 4th 2013 5:18 pm

Egyptian resort hotel bans alcohol and creates women only floor.

Well I'm sure it will be a buggering success;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...customers.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr...hotel-20130430

norsk May 4th 2013 7:31 pm

Re: Egyptian resort hotel bans alcohol and creates women only floor.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10691937)

It will be brilliant for sure! One of the major sources of income in pre-revolution Egypt was tourism. I guess they don't need the money Westerners used to leave behind anymore.

Anyway who cares? If the Egyptians want to screw up their own country in the name of revolution they are obviously welcome to do so..

Millhouse May 4th 2013 7:37 pm

What I hear is quite interesting - the revolution crashed the real estate market. It's made it a great buying time for two very rich members of the brother hood.

norsk May 4th 2013 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10692072)
What I hear is quite interesting - the revolution crashed the real estate market. It's made it a great buying time for two very rich members of the brother hood.

yep. get rid of the corrupt leader only to see him replaced by others who are even more corrupt...

i seriously think egypt will see another revolution within the next 5 years - once the man in the street realises they were duped into handing power to a bunch of nutters with only their own interests in mind..

flares May 4th 2013 8:38 pm

Too much being made out of this. Good business sense despite liquor being a good mark up.

Just catering for a pretty large market. Not dissimilar to the Arjan Rotanas in UAE.

norsk May 5th 2013 5:25 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10692118)
Too much being made out of this. Good business sense despite liquor being a good mark up.

Just catering for a pretty large market. Not dissimilar to the Arjan Rotanas in UAE.

If making a few hotels no-alcohol is the only thing happening I would agree and clearly it makes sense from a business point of view as fewer Westerners are interested in visiting their country so they are targeting local/regional tourists instead.

scrubbedexpat141 May 5th 2013 5:34 am

Who actually cares?

Surely if you want to go to Egypt to be boozey, you'd check first?

norsk May 5th 2013 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10692499)
Who actually cares?

Surely if you want to go to Egypt to be boozey, you'd check first?

If you are aware of the situation for sure. Someone my parents know were coming to Dubai for a holiday recently and my mum asked me to check out the hotel they were going to stay in. Turns out it was some 5 star hotel in Sharjah.....:rofl::rofl:

I don't think we can assume that anyone outside the ME understand how things are here...

nonthaburi May 5th 2013 5:45 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10692118)

Agree , the same kind of hotels are popping up in Turkey so there is obviously a market for it . If you don't like it then don't stay there .

Same kind of thing happens all over the world as businesses try to adapt to changing customer bases .

scrubbedexpat141 May 5th 2013 5:56 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 10692505)
If you are aware of the situation for sure. Someone my parents know were coming to Dubai for a holiday recently and my mum asked me to check out the hotel they were going to stay in. Turns out it was some 5 star hotel in Sharjah.....:rofl::rofl:

I don't think we can assume that anyone outside the ME understand how things are here...

Oh yeah, totally understand the lack of understanding from UK visitors for example....but I don't get why this is even an article.

I bet there are/were hotels in Egypt that didn't serve booze in the years before Morsi.

norsk May 5th 2013 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10692519)

I bet there are/were hotels in Egypt that didn't serve booze in the years before Morsi.

for sure.

britexpat76 May 5th 2013 6:17 am

I would rather go to croydon than Cairo.

flares May 5th 2013 6:40 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10692528)
I would rather go to croydon than Cairo.

steady on

Millhouse May 5th 2013 8:22 am

Grand Hyatt Cairo - for one. It was bought by a Saudi.

flares May 5th 2013 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10692641)
Grand Hyatt Cairo - for one. It was bought by a Saudi.

bet you can still get a Johnny Walker on the VVIP floor