British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   EgyptAir flight MS804 from Paris to Cairo disappears (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/egyptair-flight-ms804-paris-cairo-disappears-877690/)

Irishbeekeeper May 19th 2016 9:00 am

EgyptAir flight MS804 from Paris to Cairo disappears

What a waste and what a tragedy :(
My heart goes out to the families and friends affected but is it me or has the frequency of these disasters increased a bit over the past 2 years?

EgyptAir flight MS804 from Paris to Cairo disappears from radar - BBC News

iggle May 19th 2016 9:34 am

Re: EgyptAir flight MS804 from Paris to Cairo disappears

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11951778)
What a waste and what a tragedy :(
My heart goes out to the families and friends affected but is it me or has the frequency of these disasters increased a bit over the past 2 years?

EgyptAir flight MS804 from Paris to Cairo disappears from radar - BBC News

Actually there is a stat showing its decreased. It's just the social media age highlights the problems. Its concerning that a couple of times now its Egypt related.

Millhouse May 19th 2016 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11951804)
Actually there is a stat showing its decreased. It's just the social media age highlights the problems. Its concerning that a couple of times now its Egypt related.

The number of fatalities in aviation accidents has been trending downwards in recent years thanks to significant safety improvements. If the EgyptAir crash is confirmed, it will be the second major disaster in 2016 after Flydubai Flight 981 crashed in Rostov-onDon, Russia, on March 19, killing all 62 people onboard. According to data compiled by the Aviation Safety Network, 1972 was the worst year on record for the aviation industy with 2,373 people losing their lives in accidents.

https://d28wbuch0jlv7v.cloudfront.ne...nce_1942_n.jpg

Irishbeekeeper May 19th 2016 3:18 pm

Well after 1980 it seems to be more random than anything, with juuuuust a slight downward gradient

Boomhauer May 20th 2016 2:39 am

Sisi, tourism industry officials, tour guides and hotel owners must be crappin bricks.

Davita May 20th 2016 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11952043)
Well after 1980 it seems to be more random than anything, with juuuuust a slight downward gradient

The statistics do not identify how many more aircraft and people are flying today compared with when stats were introduced.

That statistic might be more informative to come to any relative conclusion.

Bahtatboy May 20th 2016 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Davita (Post 11952315)
The statistics do not identify how many more aircraft and people are flying today compared with when stats were introduced.

I'd guess that's an upward trend, which would make the decreasing trend in the original graph more significant if converted to fatalities per flight, passenger journey or passenger mile.

Irishbeekeeper May 20th 2016 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Davita (Post 11952315)

Yes, thats a fair comment, I hadnt taken that in account at all tbh.
According to google the chances of dying in a plane is 1 in 11 million as opposed to 1 in 5000 in a car so it still is considered safe. And I agree that the number of flights have actually increased in the past 10 years so the number of deaths per year, even if they remained static would actually depict a downward trend. Here is an interesting thought : I wonder if we can take the number of deaths caused by radicalism / deliberate acts of sabotage etc out of the number of total fatalities make 2 separate graphs of those numbers. The former would probably be upwards and the latter would definitely be downwards

Bahtatboy May 20th 2016 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11952687)
Yes, thats a fair comment, I hadnt taken that in account at all tbh.
According to google the chances of dying in a plane is 1 in 11 million as opposed to 1 in 5000 in a car so it still is considered safe. And I agree that the number of flights have actually increased in the past 10 years so the number of deaths per year, even if they remained static would actually depict a downward trend. Here is an interesting thought : I wonder if we can take the number of deaths caused by radicalism / deliberate acts of sabotage etc out of the number of total fatalities make 2 separate graphs of those numbers. The former would probably be upwards and the latter would definitely be downwards

This could keep you busy for an hour or so:

Accident statistics

Lightandbitter May 23rd 2016 4:26 pm

Curious that this story has just disappeared from the media, especially in the French press considering 15 of their own were on that flight

Bahtatboy May 23rd 2016 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter (Post 11954612)
Curious that this story has just disappeared from the media, especially in the French press considering 15 of their own were on that flight

On average, 37 people would have died in car accidents in France since then...

Millhouse May 24th 2016 10:43 am

Well, the gyppos think it was a bomb. Not that I trust anything they say:

"CAIRO, May 24 (Reuters) - Human remains retrieved from the crashed EgyptAir flight suggest that there was an explosion on board the plane, although no traces of explosives have been detected, an Egyptian forensics official and investigation sources said on Tuesday.

The official based his assessment on the small size of body parts so far recovered from the Mediterranean Sea, where EgyptAir flight 804 crashed on Thursday.

"The size of the remains points towards an explosion, the biggest part was the size of a palm," the forensics official said, adding that about 23 bags of body parts had been collected since Sunday. " - Reuters