Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The easiest languages to learn?

The easiest languages to learn?

Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The easiest languages to learn?

The Easiest languages for speakers of English to learn would be the generally accepted easiest are Malay and Indonesian, which are very similar and Swahili.
I think the grammar structure in French doesn't make it particularly easy same for German.
Spanish would most likely be the easier of European languages to speak.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The Easiest languages for speakers of English to learn would be the generally accepted easiest are Malay and Indonesian, which are very similar and Swahili.
I think the grammar structure in French doesn't make it particularly easy same for German.
Spanish would most likely be the easier of European languages to speak.

I learnt quite a bit of Malay when I was a small child living in Singapore and much of it has stick with me despite never having had much use for it.

I found French pretty easy and at one point I was spending a great deal of time in France (and had a French boyfriend who barely spoke English) that I was almost fluent, but lack of practice means I'm a bit rusty but can still manage well. Similar in Turkish but I've managed to forget much of that apart form food related items and can read it aloud fluently despite not understanding most of it these days.

I thought German was much harder, but I'd studied French for two years before I started German and as The Dean says the sentence structure is weird.

I'm ashamed to say that I only understand very little Arabic, despite good intentions when I first moved here some seven years ago.

Edited to ask, does this make me at all cultured???
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow

Edited to ask, does this make me at all cultured???
It depends if you've ever read The Sun....apparently.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
It depends if you've ever read The Sun....apparently.
No, so yes then.

I knew it.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
No, so yes then.

I knew it.
Regardless of language skills I look at the Sun's football bit for their outrageous gossip / transfer talk.

Therefore; Scamp = Uncultured.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

I think it's important to read the Sun and the Mail to see what Murdoch and Co are feeding the masses.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:17 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Regardless of language skills I look at the Sun's football bit for their outrageous gossip / transfer talk.

Therefore; Scamp = Uncultured.
Read the Sun in French or Spanish ( if that's possible) you will be a living paradox
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Cypselos
I think it's important to read the Sun and the Mail to see what Murdoch and Co are feeding the masses.
Careful. On here that kind of search for other opinions will have you branded before you blink.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Read the Sun in French or Spanish ( if that's possible) you will be a living paradox
Shit the bed. I wonder if the Earth would start turning the other way?
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:47 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Agree that bahasa malay/indonesia is probably the easiest though in fact basic English is extremely easy as it's very flexible on word order and poor grammar and hence so popular. Learning English completely fluently is almost impossible for a non native and very rare. Which is strange because even scousers seem to manage it so it's clearly not difficult per se.

The reason native English speakers don't speak second/third etc languages is basic economics at work - it's a simple matter of payback. English is spoken as a first language by around 400 million and as a second language by around a billion.

If a German, Spaniard, Italian etc learn English they can then also talk to nearly 1.5 billion new people in almost any country, but an English speaker learning German only gets repaid with the ability to converse (boringly..) with the 80 million Germans.

Having said that you'll have much more fun in Russia if you can discuss the finer points of трусики in Russian. (perhaps nsfw..)
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp has asked about my foreign languages. German and Bulgarian are my best. My French is rusty and my Arabic is slowly withering as I no longer use it at all.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scot47
Scamp has asked about my foreign languages. German and Bulgarian are my best. My French is rusty and my Arabic is slowly withering as I no longer use it at all.
Bulgarian is a random one to chuck in the mix? I assume there is a reason?
Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Lived (and worked) there for a long time. Bulgarian wife and Bulgaro-Scottish daughters. I liked BG until they joined the EU and all those dreadful Oiks from GB started buying properties there.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scot47
Lived (and worked) there for a long time. Bulgarian wife and Bulgaro-Scottish daughters. I liked BG until they joined the EU and all those dreadful Oiks from GB started buying properties there.
Fair enough, good reason to learn!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I once met a Thai girl who offered to teach me her native tongue........
Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
I once met a Thai girl who offered to teach me her native tongue........
That's a bit of a low offer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.