British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Early August escape (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/early-august-escape-899152/)

martinbkk Jul 9th 2017 8:02 am

Re: Early August escape

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12288102)
BKK is a dump.

Seriously?

You must have had newbie stamped all over you!

Banyan Tree ??? Odd choice and nice but, over rated, over hyped, over priced.

Bangkok is a big Asian city soooo, it's going to be a bit like, well, a big Asian city. And maybe at the superficial, I'm a tourist, do touristy stuff for me, you might easily get royally shafted.

But ready to turn off the western perceptions, suspend your disbelief for a while and get into the heart of the beast and you'll likely come away with one of two things, a serious medical condition or a damn great smile. Bangkok is one of very few places where both are a real possibility.

Okay I'm biased, it's been home for 20 years barring a year on Koh Samui and a year on Phuket but after a lifetime of traveling Thailand is really the one place I have truly felt at home and would happily spend my own money to get to. Indeed I do, on a regular basis taking a week or so off every 7 or 8 weeks to be at home with the family. Spending much more time at a stretch in this neck of the woods seems impossible.

The biggest problem with Thailand visits is they are generally far too short.

Rubydo Jul 9th 2017 8:04 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12290053)
I wanted to post something rude and scathing about your unexpected return but I realised I can't. Welcome back, even if just for the moment ;)

Haha and why can't u? Thanks, it would be so much easier as an app- or am I missing something?!

DXBtoDOH Jul 9th 2017 8:07 am

Nope, nothing. Just that you're such a nice person (in a fun way) that being nasty would be like being mean to kittens.

* I'm perfectly capable of being mean to little kids because the buggers generally deserve it, but there's never a reason for being mean to kittens.

Originally Posted by Rubydo (Post 12290057)
Haha and why can't u? Thanks, it would be so much easier as an app- or am I missing something?!

Rubydo Jul 9th 2017 8:09 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12290059)
Nope, nothing. Just that you're such a nice person (in a fun way) that being nasty would be like being mean to kittens.

* I'm perfectly capable of being mean to little kids because the buggers generally deserve it, but there's never a reason for being mean to kittens.

Haha I can handle any banter it's all good- It takes a lot to offend me. But mean to kittens is harsh:p

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 9th 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 12290056)
Seriously?

You must have had newbie stamped all over you!

Banyan Tree ??? Odd choice and nice but, over rated, over hyped, over priced.

Bangkok is a big Asian city soooo, it's going to be a bit like, well, a big Asian city. And maybe at the superficial, I'm a tourist, do touristy stuff for me, you might easily get royally shafted.

But ready to turn off the western perceptions, suspend your disbelief for a while and get into the heart of the beast and you'll likely come away with one of two things, a serious medical condition or a damn great smile. Bangkok is one of very few places where both are a real possibility.

Okay I'm biased, it's been home for 20 years barring a year on Koh Samui and a year on Phuket but after a lifetime of traveling Thailand is really the one place I have truly felt at home and would happily spend my own money to get to. Indeed I do, on a regular basis taking a week or so off every 7 or 8 weeks to be at home with the family. Spending much more time at a stretch in this neck of the woods seems impossible.

The biggest problem with Thailand visits is they are generally far too short.

Being 6ft something and white, yeah, I definitely stuck out as a tourist....:rofl:....However, the problem wasn't me, the problem was Bangkok. Other Asian cities are fantastic and much better in my opinion, not having been to them all yet. I enjoyed parts and moments but I didn't enjoy Bangkok overall. Koh Samui was cool, Koh Phangan (sp) was even better in my eyes, not been to Phuket.

Banyan Tree was a slight regret from a location perspective, but a great bit of foresight that we'd enjoy somewhere pleasant to finish our holiday. You might think it's overpriced but it was good value, I got no hype or rating for it before I went so I enjoyed it, sorry(?)..... The first hotel next to the mall was a good location (can't remember it's name but was good) and where we went for drinks the first night (google tells me Thong Lor [?]) because that was good fun with some awesome bars.

Rubydo Jul 9th 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12290069)
Being 6ft something and white, yeah, I definitely stuck out as a tourist....:rofl:....However, the problem wasn't me, the problem was Bangkok. Other Asian cities are fantastic and much better in my opinion, not having been to them all yet. I enjoyed parts and moments but I didn't enjoy Bangkok overall. Koh Samui was cool, Koh Phangan (sp) was even better in my eyes, not been to Phuket.

Banyan Tree was a slight regret from a location perspective, but a great bit of foresight that we'd enjoy somewhere pleasant to finish our holiday. You might think it's overpriced but it was good value, I got no hype or rating for it before I went so I enjoyed it, sorry(?)..... The first hotel next to the mall was a good location (can't remember it's name but was good) and where we went for drinks the first night (google tells me Thong Lor [?]) because that was good fun with some awesome bars.

I had a bad experience in Bangkok! Granted I was on the backpackers street but it's defo put me off Bangkok as a whole

DXBtoDOH Jul 9th 2017 8:43 am

Do tell. Don't hold back.

Originally Posted by Rubydo (Post 12290071)
I had a bad experience in Bangkok! Granted I was on the backpackers street but it's defo put me off Bangkok as a whole

Rubydo Jul 9th 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12290076)
Do tell. Don't hold back.

It's really nothing funny but quite serious- basically the 4 of us me being the only female were beat up with wooden bats! Was a great start to a holiday- black eyes and swollen faces- joy

scot47 Jul 9th 2017 8:49 am

I wonder wher the Bangladeshi construction workers go for their holidays.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 9th 2017 8:53 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12290081)

The insipid wisdom of the ageing hypocrite.

mission Jul 9th 2017 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Rubydo (Post 12290071)

gotta admit i didn't rate BKK either......full of old fugly men with young thai girls/ladyboys young enough to be their kid....i was there for 3 or so days and was looking forward to getting out....have no desire to go there again...highlight of my time was going to that open roof top bar with the glass floor....the one that featured in the Hangover sequel.

Rubydo Jul 9th 2017 9:04 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12290090)
gotta admit i didn't rate BKK either......full of old fugly men with young thai girls/ladyboys young enough to be their kid....i was there for 3 or so days and was looking forward to getting out....have no desire to go there again...highlight of my time was going to that open roof top bar with the glass floor....the one that featured in the Hangover sequel.

Agreed

Millhouse Jul 9th 2017 9:10 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12290090)

Try Pattaya

co durham boy Jul 9th 2017 9:23 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12290081)

Bangladesh

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 9th 2017 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Rubydo (Post 12290077)
It's really nothing funny but quite serious- basically the 4 of us me being the only female were beat up with wooden bats! Was a great start to a holiday- black eyes and swollen faces- joy

How did that happen? Were you able to get police involved?