Early August escape

Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early August escape

Originally Posted by Rubydo
I would love to go to HK and wouldn't be put off with the Bangkok issue- I am very reluctant to travel to Thailand again tho which is pretty annoying as most places look stunning - just been put off massively
Don't let it put you off. I know what you mean though, very easy for something like that to leave a massive bad taste. I honestly think you can run in to the same sort of problems just about anywhere. I'm a bit of a wimp and there are places in my home town I wouldn't venture at night some even with mates. Same goes for just about anywhere. Unfortunately some of these sort of places are what Thailand labels as tourist zones. I think that moniker came to be before the locals really got to think about what a tourist really is. As a result some "tourist" places are nothing more than the seedy underbelly of a big Asian city.

Don't forget you can get to a lot of the islands without having to go in to the big mango.

As an aside I don't think I would wander the potholed mud lanes of Doha's industrial area are night Where not to go in UAE, Bahrain, Saudi?
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Don't let it put you off. I know what you mean though, very easy for something like that to leave a massive bad taste. I honestly think you can run in to the same sort of problems just about anywhere. I'm a bit of a wimp and there are places in my home town I wouldn't venture at night some even with mates. Same goes for just about anywhere. Unfortunately some of these sort of places are what Thailand labels as tourist zones. I think that moniker came to be before the locals really got to think about what a tourist really is. As a result some "tourist" places are nothing more than the seedy underbelly of a big Asian city.

As an aside I don't think I would wander the potholed mud lanes of Doha's industrial area. Where not to go in UAE, Bahrain, Saudi?
I totally agree with it happening just about anywhere but unfortunately it's hard to not think about it if travelling there again. Like I said before this incident happened on day 2 of a 2 week holiday and I was then constantly watching my back and couldn't relax.

As for places in the UAE not to visit I can only say certain areas due to them being more run down than the rest than being made to feel threatened or uneasy really. I feel incredibly safe in Abu Dhabi
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Don't let it put you off. I know what you mean though, very easy for something like that to leave a massive bad taste. I honestly think you can run in to the same sort of problems just about anywhere.
Agreed. Like pretty much every city in the UK. It sounds like a bit of a wrong place, wrong time situation.

As for places in the UAE not to visit I can only say certain areas due to them being more run down than the rest than being made to feel threatened or uneasy really. I feel incredibly safe in Abu Dhabi
Maybe you should just give it a go and put the demons to bed. As Martin says there are several Asian Cities on a par or worse than Bangkok.

I agree about feeling safe in the UAE but I wouldn't advise walking round Naif in Dubai after dark and i'm sure Shaby Dhabi has similar areas.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Agreed. Like pretty much every city in the UK. It sounds like a bit of a wrong place, wrong time situation.

Maybe you should just give it a go and put the demons to bed. As Martin says there are several Asian Cities on a par or worse than Bangkok.

I agree about feeling safe in the UAE but I wouldn't advise walking round Naif in Dubai after dark and i'm sure Shaby Dhabi has similar areas.
Yeah think it was wrong place wrong time and u r right about putting the demons to bed and will eventually go back as I do want to visit the islands.
Never heard of that area of Dhabi and don't suppose I need to haha.
Just the outer areas of AD that I would avoid
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah think it was wrong place wrong time and u r right about putting the demons to bed and will eventually go back as I do want to visit the islands.
Never heard of that area of Dhabi and don't suppose I need to haha.
Just the outer areas of AD that I would avoid
The Islands are wicked. Definitely worth the trip! I spent 4 weeks travelling them between jobs a decade or so back, and that wasn't enough time.

Naif is the other side of the tunnel in Dhabi.... . If you read the local rags about shizzle going down its always in Naif.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

My precious trips to Thailand always went straight to the islands so I know little of BKK.

Which is the ideal neighbourhood to stay in if looking for something comparable to the French Concession in Shanghai? Great Thai grub and street food, great coffeeshops run by Australian baristas, both fancy rooftop bars and low key bars with cheap beer, decent greenery (no concrete jungle) and good transportation links? Somewhere a bit upmarket but still very Thai?
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Islands are wicked. Definitely worth the trip! I spent 4 weeks travelling them between jobs a decade or so back, and that wasn't enough time.

Naif is the other side of the tunnel in Dhabi.... . If you read the local rags about shizzle going down its always in Naif.

Ah nice sounds like a good plan although probably too old for travelling now haha.

I'll take your word for Naif
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

The Islands of Thailand are beautiful....but I would definitely give this one a miss!!!!!

Thailand's 'death island': fatalities prompt corruption concerns
Old Jul 11th 2017, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah nice sounds like a good plan although probably too old for travelling now haha.
You're never too old.... You just need to travel at a slower pace and stay in some nice places...
Old Jul 11th 2017, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

You're never too old.... You just need to travel at a slower pace and stay in some nice places...
Ok maybe I'm just lazy then
I've just been to Sri Lanka for 2 weeks and id class that as travelling around- stayed and visited 6 places
Old Jul 11th 2017, 5:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Ok maybe I'm just lazy then
I've just been to Sri Lanka for 2 weeks and id class that as travelling around- stayed and visited 6 places
I got ****ing hammered at the weekend for going to Sri Lanka and not doing any 'travelling'. We fly on Thursday and it's meant to be 5 days of chilling the **** out after a full on year so far.

It'll be the first holiday we've been on where the onus isn't on exploring.

I've justified it in my head that it's OK but I do feel bad visiting a place with the sole intention of chilling and doing nothing but attending and propping up the swimming pool bar.

Can't be perfect all the time.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
I got ****ing hammered at the weekend for going to Sri Lanka and not doing any 'travelling'. We fly on Thursday and it's meant to be 5 days of chilling the **** out after a full on year so far.

I've justified it in my head that it's OK but I do feel bad visiting a place with the sole intention of chilling and doing nothing but attending and propping up the swimming pool bar.

Slightly confused here- u r going to Sri Lanka or have been? Of going where u off to to chill out?
I loved travelling round but by the end just wanted to relax and sunbathe! Yes I know I can sunbathe here but just was ready for a break after exploring ha.
As for the drinking- managed to do that whilst travelling around too just got a little set back when bars were closed from 2-5 every afternoon! In hotels it's not the case but else where was!
Old Jul 11th 2017, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Slightly confused here- u r going to Sri Lanka or have been? Of going where u off to to chill out?
I loved travelling round but by the end just wanted to relax and sunbathe! Yes I know I can sunbathe here but just was ready for a break after exploring ha.
As for the drinking- managed to do that whilst travelling around too just got a little set back when bars were closed from 2-5 every afternoon! In hotels it's not the case but else where was!
Adding to this- I know you said you were going away Thursday it's just the first part that's thrown me?!
Old Jul 11th 2017, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp

Nothing wrong with going somewhere to just chill.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 6:26 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp, don't know when you're travelling but are you aware of the alcohol ban on full moon days?

Liquor banned for 19 selected holidays in 2017 - Excise Dept. - Daily Mirror - Sri Lanka Latest Breaking News and Headlines

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/pha...-lanka/colombo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.