Early August escape

Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early August escape

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
How did that happen? Were you able to get police involved?
Police don't want to know! We struggled getting a taxi to a hospital as they won't get involved.
We literally were just eating from a cart thing and my friend lent on someone's car whilst doing so- he was told to get off and he apologised and did so- the next minute all the food cart men shut shop and grabbed wooden bats and chased us and beat us.
It was a scary and horrible experience. When we eventually got someone to take us to a hospital there was another couple there too and the same had happened to them! English couple.
Apparently it happens a lot
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:06 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubydo
Police don't want to know! We struggled getting a taxi to a hospital as they won't get involved.
We literally were just eating from a cart thing and my friend lent on someone's car whilst doing so- he was told to get off and he apologised and did so- the next minute all the food cart men shut shop and grabbed wooden bats and chased us and beat us.
It was a scary and horrible experience. When we eventually got someone to take us to a hospital there was another couple there too and the same had happened to them! English couple.
Wow, and so random, which makes it scarier. Thai police don't have the best rep. Mind you, neither do Lebanese..

DXBtoDOH, is Israel an option? Do QX fly there or would that be just too provocative?
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Being 6ft something and white, yeah, I definitely stuck out as a tourist........However, the problem wasn't me, the problem was Bangkok. Other Asian cities are fantastic and much better in my opinion, not having been to them all yet. I enjoyed parts and moments but I didn't enjoy Bangkok overall. Koh Samui was cool, Koh Phangan (sp) was even better in my eyes, not been to Phuket.

Banyan Tree was a slight regret from a location perspective, but a great bit of foresight that we'd enjoy somewhere pleasant to finish our holiday. You might think it's overpriced but it was good value, I got no hype or rating for it before I went so I enjoyed it, sorry(?)..... The first hotel next to the mall was a good location (can't remember it's name but was good) and where we went for drinks the first night (google tells me Thong Lor [?]) because that was good fun with some awesome bars.
Jakarta, Manila and Beijing I think all pale alongside Bangkok.
Hotels anywhere are, meh, some good some not so, if you got good value and liked the place then it was good, nuff said.

Thonglor puts you in another part of town, yes more trendy hipster upscale bars and pubs. Can be edgy too at times depending on just where or when but usually in decent amounts, nothing scary.

People who ask about it I usually suggest a night or two in town before the island hopping jungle trekking rice paddy wandering then similar onthe way back. There is some cool stuff to see in town if you know where to look but most just get drowned in an avalanche of bs tourist junk.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Israel many moons ago but would love to go back. Especially to Tel Aviv. Especially Tel Aviv. Especially certain beaches in Tel Aviv Hottest men and best food in the Middle East are in Tel Aviv.

But as long as I'm in Qatar it's probably sensible not to. No direct flights certainly.

Right now I'm leaning towards BKK. Book a posh hotel with a nice pool and rooftop bar and spend the days prowling the hot, steaming streets after great spicy food and ogle some of the ... ahem ... sights. Including a certain Babylon... strictly watching, mind you.

Lebanon should tick all the boxes but somehow I'm still a bit reluctant. Really wish I could justify going to the Amalfi coast but it's only a few days.

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Wow, and so random, which makes it scarier. Thai police don't have the best rep. Mind you, neither do Lebanese..

DXBtoDOH, is Israel an option? Do QX fly there or would that be just too provocative?
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear that is truly horrific. I've heard of such things and been in some situations that I can well see this sort of stuff can and does happen and absolutely right on the police. They only work if you have a contact. Sad to say but that really is true 95% of time. It's also understood that Thais never go one on one, they will always show up mob handed out of nowhere. As soon as a situation goes negative get humble apologise and leave, quick. These are not well educated people in the main and rational thinking has little place in their approach to things.

In all my years living there I've only been to Khao San Road once and that was enough. Awful squalid sort of place, even more so than much of the lower Sukhumvit area.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Right now I'm leaning towards BKK. Book a posh hotel with a nice pool and rooftop bar and spend the days prowling the hot, steaming streets after great spicy food and ogle some of the ... ahem ... sights. Including a certain Babylon... strictly watching, mind you.

Lebanon should tick all the boxes but somehow I'm still a bit reluctant. Really wish I could justify going to the Amalfi coast but it's only a few days.
Sounds like a plan. Got me grumbling to be home again and I just got off the plane from a 10 day stay. It's hot, but not as bad as here. It's wet, but usually just an hour or two in the evening and even that can be nice as long as you're not just stood out in it. It's low season so the deals are good and you will likely have all the company you could want (if that's your thing).
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Oh dear that is truly horrific. I've heard of such things and been in some situations that I can well see this sort of stuff can and does happen and absolutely right on the police. They only work if you have a contact. Sad to say but that really is true 95% of time. It's also understood that Thais never go one on one, they will always show up mob handed out of nowhere. As soon as a situation goes negative get humble apologise and leave, quick. These are not well educated people in the main and rational thinking has little place in their approach to things.

In all my years living there I've only been to Khao San Road once and that was enough. Awful squalid sort of place, even more so than much of the lower Sukhumvit area.
Yeah we should have left straight after being asked to get off the car. Granted shouldn't have lent on it but doesn't warrant a beating in my opinion.
Hey ho- we had an amazing day on khao san road up until this point.
I remember screaming in one of their faces when they came at me- probably wasn't the best choice at the time ha.
It's really put me off Thailand as well as just Bangkok, which is a shame as there's lots of beautiful places to visit.
I just can't get the image out of my head and going back would be worse too, and constantly on guard and not relaxing isn't my kind of holiday. I found myself for the rest of the 2 weeks in Bangkok and Phuket just staring at locals and very scared!
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Bangkok is OK but I can only do a few days before I get cabin fever and need to get out to the islands.

Half of its charm is its mentalness (hey Ruby) but that does sound a bit OTT.

I was there about a decade ago and had been on Khao San Rd for a few days boozing while waiting for some inoculations to come into the pharmacy before I moved on. I got to know the bar owner pretty well as we'd been playing a lot of pool. He was the biggest Thai I have ever seen. One evening there was some pissed up paddy having a go at some local chap and as you say next minute there were 5 on him. Lucky for him I got the bar owner to stop it right away but I can certainly see how it can turn nasty very quickly.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mission
gotta admit i didn't rate BKK either......full of old fugly men with young thai girls/ladyboys young enough to be their kid....i was there for 3 or so days and was looking forward to getting out....have no desire to go there again...highlight of my time was going to that open roof top bar with the glass floor....the one that featured in the Hangover sequel.
Grr! How do you know that they weren't? Okay, I know they're not but it grates a bit. My own daughter is half Thai and looks very Thai, is a typical fashion conscious teenager and I most definitely fit the fugly label. Going anywhere with her after the sun goes down can be most disheartening.

For a different roof top bar try Above 11. Just a regular roof top bar until you go to the bathroom. There you get high level nigh time views of the Bangkok cityscape whilst, well whilst whatever you do in the bathroom
Old Jul 9th 2017, 11:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Jakarta, Manila and Beijing I think all pale alongside Bangkok.
Hotels anywhere are, meh, some good some not so, if you got good value and liked the place then it was good, nuff said.

Thonglor puts you in another part of town, yes more trendy hipster upscale bars and pubs. Can be edgy too at times depending on just where or when but usually in decent amounts, nothing scary.

People who ask about it I usually suggest a night or two in town before the island hopping jungle trekking rice paddy wandering then similar onthe way back. There is some cool stuff to see in town if you know where to look but most just get drowned in an avalanche of bs tourist junk.
Very much what we did, night in BKK, traveled around, finished with two nights back again.

Like most cities, it's where to go and what you know that gives you the advantages.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Grr! How do you know that they weren't? Okay, I know they're not but it grates a bit. My own daughter is half Thai and looks very Thai, is a typical fashion conscious teenager and I most definitely fit the fugly label. Going anywhere with her after the sun goes down can be most disheartening.

For a different roof top bar try Above 11. Just a regular roof top bar until you go to the bathroom. There you get high level nigh time views of the Bangkok cityscape whilst, well whilst whatever you do in the bathroom
MARTIN certainly no disrespect to you yaar
on an eye opening level.....we did venture to the part of BKK where they have the live sex shows....NOW that was 'intriguing' to say the least
Old Jul 9th 2017, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Bangkok is OK but I can only do a few days before I get cabin fever and need to get out to the islands.

Half of its charm is its mentalness (hey Ruby) but that does sound a bit OTT.

I was there about a decade ago and had been on Khao San Rd for a few days boozing while waiting for some inoculations to come into the pharmacy before I moved on. I got to know the bar owner pretty well as we'd been playing a lot of pool. He was the biggest Thai I have ever seen. One evening there was some pissed up paddy having a go at some local chap and as you say next minute there were 5 on him. Lucky for him I got the bar owner to stop it right away but I can certainly see how it can turn nasty very quickly.
Yeah they literally come out of nowhere. I appreciate as tourist we can probably be annoying and pissed up idiots but still no need for it when we are the ones actually spending money there!
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Shawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond repute

Having just watched the film 'No Escape', I can somehow vividly picture this. Must say the Far East has dropped significantly in my to-do list. I do have to visit HK for work before year end, so a gradual entry to maybe change my mind...
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shawlands
Having just watched the film 'No Escape', I can somehow vividly picture this. Must say the Far East has dropped significantly in my to-do list. I do have to visit HK for work before year end, so a gradual entry to maybe change my mind...
I would love to go to HK and wouldn't be put off with the Bangkok issue- I am very reluctant to travel to Thailand again tho which is pretty annoying as most places look stunning - just been put off massively
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Been to HK multiple times. It's fine. Just avoid Chungking Mansions.

Fantastic food, great nightlife, very scenic city, what more do you need? Truth be told, HK is very sanitised compared to most Asian cities, only Singapore is even more whitewashed.

I'm old enough to have been to HK before the new airport opened. The takeoff was a solid 45% angle due to the very short runaway. For a kiddo that was amazing but the parents were terrified though they tried not to show it.

Originally Posted by Shawlands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.