British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Ear Piercing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ear-piercing-806683/)

Irishbeekeeper Aug 21st 2013 7:06 am

Re: Ear Piercing

well naturally my first reaction would have to go nuclear ofcourse, if I wasnt told beforehand
but having said that...where I am from, its perfectly natural for the women to get it done in the first few months as (and I dont know if its medically true or not) the wise ones say that it hurts the baby less as most of the nerve endings havent developed at that early stage
and based on that we get the boys circumcised within the first 10 days (usually), yes I know I know how bad that sounds and trust me it looks much worse and I was cringing both times and kept on saying sorry to the poor lads all day next day but its custom, what can you do? I know there are a lot of religious discussions for it and a lot of medical discussions for and against it but I am just trying to say that I understand where you wife is coming from. When its custom from where is one from and when you grow up with everyone around you being ok with it, then it sort of becomes second nature to you I guess. Sort of like those giraffe neck ladies or the chinese small feet ladies, both horrible practices in my opinion, but that just proves my point doesnt it :D

btw micro after...not before ;)

Blue Cat Aug 21st 2013 7:46 am

My 9 year old has asked for her ears to be pierced, I have no issue with it at all but I know it will hurt and she will end up only getting the one done. She can wait til she is in her teens then get it done if she still wants too. Personally I hate it on babies but it is a cultural thing. I would have been furious as well if I was in your shoes Brains.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 21st 2013 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10861475)
My 9 year old has asked for her ears to be pierced, I have no issue with it at all but I know it will hurt and she will end up only getting the one done. She can wait til she is in her teens then get it done if she still wants too. Personally I hate it on babies but it is a cultural thing. I would have been furious as well if I was in your shoes Brains.

Let her do it and tell her she's got it easy. My Mum and Auntie pierced each other's ears with cork, ice and a needle.

shiva Aug 21st 2013 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10861419)
and based on that we get the boys circumcised within the first 10 days (usually), yes I know I know how bad that sounds and trust me it looks much worse and I was cringing both times and kept on saying sorry to the poor lads all day next day but its custom, what can you do?

what can you do?

errrr, how about not following a barbaric tradition based in a time of no soap and clean water, both of which trump any so called medical justification.

Dorothy Aug 21st 2013 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10861507)
Let her do it and tell her she's got it easy. My Mum and Auntie pierced each other's ears with cork, ice and a needle.

My sister did mine when I was about 6 with a needle and ice cubes. My mother was not amused.

Dumbo Aug 21st 2013 9:06 am

http://www.feminiya.com/wp-content/u...ith-babies.jpg

Baby ear piercing.......what could possibly be wrong with that? :thumbdown:

DohaLady Aug 21st 2013 9:09 am

I think little girls look cute with pierced ears :scarper:

Dorothy Aug 21st 2013 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Dumbo (Post 10861575)
http://www.feminiya.com/wp-content/u...ith-babies.jpg

Baby ear piercing.......what could possibly be wrong with that? :thumbdown:

WTF!! Does that baby have tattooed eyebrows? :ohmy:

Dumbo Aug 21st 2013 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 10861579)
WTF!! Does that baby have tattooed eyebrows? :ohmy:

Seeing as how the mother has a vanity issue and is giving her pierced ears, I would think it is more likely pencilled on eye brows rather than tattoos. I would like to see more pencil moustachiod women.......looks hot......

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JYT5ro65Xm.../moustache.png

flares Aug 21st 2013 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10861383)
12 is down beside where my wife is from. I'm in for 12, 26, 35 & 48. Also got all of the wife's family registering for tickets aswell.

Curtiba...looks nice as does Porto Alegre.

Being in't South not as tropical as the rest of the country and could therefore be a bit nippy in June. I'd be surprised if my application is successful. Tickets are expensive though so that may lower demand.

Bahtatboy Aug 21st 2013 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10861383)
12 is down beside where my wife is from. I'm in for 12, 26, 35 & 48. Also got all of the wife's family registering for tickets aswell.

Is that the special fried rice or the prawn balls?

Bahtatboy Aug 21st 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 10861548)
My sister did mine when I was about 6 with a needle and ice cubes. My mother was not amused.

I had to double check to see if that was ears or foreskin. The ice cubes I could handle...

Brains1983 Aug 21st 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10861676)
Curtiba...looks nice as does Porto Alegre.

Being in't South not as tropical as the rest of the country and could therefore be a bit nippy in June. I'd be surprised if my application is successful. Tickets are expensive though so that may lower demand.

I read that they expect a similar demand to Germany in 06 / 7 applicants per ticket. However I also expect that most foreigners are going to apply for Rio / SP and Braslia (not sure offhand if Recife is hosting, if so - them aswell). Curitiba and Porto Alegre will attract Argentina and German fans I would image.

June will be fine tempwise, warmer than Scotland that's for sure!

I'm heading off there in a couple weeks - 3 weeks of doing nothing and since I'm working my notice - the blackberry is staying on my desk!

Brains1983 Aug 21st 2013 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10861708)
Is that the special fried rice or the prawn balls?

That part of Brazil is likely to be Saurkraut or Bratwurst!

Irishbeekeeper Aug 21st 2013 11:30 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10861532)
what can you do?

errrr, how about not following a barbaric tradition based in a time of no soap and clean water, both of which trump any so called medical justification.

:) but that's exactly my point mate. Cust