British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Ear Piercing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ear-piercing-806683/)

Brains1983 Aug 21st 2013 4:05 am

Ear Piercing

Had a bit of an argument with the wife last night, she had our daughters ears pierced at the hospital. Young Martina is not yet 3 months old.

Wife tells me this is normal in Brazil while I am I of the opinion that 3 months is far too young.

Am I right to be pissed off or am I in the wrong on this?

Kim67 Aug 21st 2013 4:13 am

Re: Ear Piercing

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10861254)
Had a bit of an argument with the wife last night, she had our daughters ears pierced at the hospital. Young Martina is not yet 3 months old.

Wife tells me this is normal in Brazil while I am I of the opinion that 3 months is far too young.

My girls don't have their ears pierced and they are 10 and 14 - it's now optional and neither of them have taken up the offer. Before they were old enough to look after the responsibility of taking care of them they were not allowed.

Regardless of what age you think is okay, it should be the decision of BOTH parents.

Kix Aug 21st 2013 4:45 am

You should be pissed off. Your wife did it without discussing this with you.

As an (extreme) example, female circumcision is the accepted practice in certain countries. Would it be OK for you if your wife had that done to your daughter without any discussion?

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 21st 2013 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10861254)

Things like this are allowed to piss you off.

It now means you're going to have a baby with earrings...now I'm not one to judge (:rofl:) but babies with earrings means the parents are pikeys where I'm from. You don't seem like a pikey, or in fact Brazilian.

Maybe just have a go and use a MS Word template for a permission slip or something, make the wife come and get it signed whenever she wants to do something Brazilian with the little lady? ;)

Millhouse Aug 21st 2013 5:24 am

Tough one. To be honest, she probably didn't even think of the consequences or importance of the decision she made as for her is it just normal.

Let it go - but not until you have pissed in her tea.

Saff_Parker Aug 21st 2013 5:51 am

I had my ears pierced at about 2 months old.. so I'm biased in that I don't see what the problem is. But I *can* understand where you're coming from. It's normal in some countries, I'd say it's almost like a tribal custom. Let it be. Can't really undo it now. Wife should have informed you first htough.

Saff

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 21st 2013 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10861331)

Let it go - but not until you have pissed in her tea.

No, she'll taste that.

Just dip the left nut in the tea, or pour the milk over it into...she'll never notice and you'll have the sweetest satisfaction.

Saff_Parker Aug 21st 2013 5:55 am

Aguguihgh D:

Bongoman2 Aug 21st 2013 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10861349)
Just dip the left nut in the tea

I hope she likes her tea warm and not scolding hot then.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 21st 2013 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Bongoman2 (Post 10861369)
I hope she likes her tea warm and not scolding hot then.

If you're concerned with the water temp (rightly so) then use the milk drizzle option.

flares Aug 21st 2013 6:27 am

Why wouldn't she consult you? Gotta love the firey Latinos.

On the Brazil theme I've stuck my application in for WC tickets. Matches 12, 20 & 31. Obrigado.

Brains1983 Aug 21st 2013 6:34 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10861378)
Why wouldn't she consult you? Gotta love the firey Latinos.

On the Brazil theme I've stuck my application in for WC tickets. Matches 12, 20 & 31. Obrigado.

12 is down beside where my wife is from. I'm in for 12, 26, 35 & 48. Also got all of the wife's family registering for tickets aswell.

Brains1983 Aug 21st 2013 6:35 am

I guess there is bugger all I can do about it now anyway, not worth the hassle of being bothered about it. moving on.

Brains1983 Aug 21st 2013 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10861371)
If you're concerned with the water temp (rightly so) then use the milk drizzle option.

or micro it afterwards...

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 21st 2013 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10861386)
or micro it afterwards...

There you go.

Private victory, saves having the argument but you're happy that you've got some revenge.

I actually wouldn't recommend it though.