E-Vision...Is it me?

Old May 26th 2010, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice
Default E-Vision...Is it me?

After having Orbit Showtime on satellite and being perfectly happy, we just moved into Al Raha Gardens, and like dutiful residents, decided to observe the "No satellite dishes" rule and sign up for E-vision (Ok, I know, when you actully look around there's a forest of dishes there).

Found the office, spoke to a very nice man, paid the dosh and asked when they would come to switch it on.
"Probably 1-2 weeks, maybe more".
"Why the hell so long?".......
"It's fibre-optic!" he said with a gleam in his eye.
Ok, "Can you get him to install a second outlet in our bedroom (ala satellite)?"
"No, we cant do that"
"And why not?"
........"Because it's fibre-optic"
"Can I at least record programs?"
"Not at the moment.....not until we update our boxes"

2 weeks later the chap came round and flicked a switch. Yay, we have TV again! Next morning, switched on....nothing. 3 days later a technician comes round and gets it working again and left us with the instruction not to turn it off......ever. Apparently the box doesn't like it and refuses to work again.

So we now have only 1 outlet instead of 2, cant pause live TV, cant record any programs, cant read the stupid icons on screen and on top of that the programmed favourites resets itself each night and the remote has a mind of its own. It's like going back 10 years....utter rubbish!

As soon as I can get out of the Etishite contract I'll be digging out the dish again!

DB
Old May 27th 2010, 5:02 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-Vision...Is it me?

Hi Dusty,

Surprised to hear your comments. We have been on eVision for two years (Dubai) and have rarely had reason to complain. Ours is on the old copper cable system but we get all of the HD channels (Fabulous if you have a good screen), all of OSN and we even have Al Jazeera (world cup) through the same box. We can record, pause, schedule recordings and all of the other good stuff that you would expect from a top end cable box.

Fibre Optic is coming to my area soon - benefit is we can get eLife and very fast internet, but judging by your issues, I will resist them changing over my eVision.

Hope it gets better.
Old May 27th 2010, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

No it's not you - the customer service at EVsion is abysmal, program quality (picture and variety) is rubbish, it's expensive........

I had Sky in the UK 4 years ago before coming out here and even back then they were a world ahead of anything out here now.
Old May 27th 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheShed
Hi Dusty,

Surprised to hear your comments. We have been on eVision for two years (Dubai) and have rarely had reason to complain. Ours is on the old copper cable system but we get all of the HD channels (Fabulous if you have a good screen), all of OSN and we even have Al Jazeera (world cup) through the same box. We can record, pause, schedule recordings and all of the other good stuff that you would expect from a top end cable box.

Fibre Optic is coming to my area soon - benefit is we can get eLife and very fast internet, but judging by your issues, I will resist them changing over my eVision.

Hope it gets better.

Yes, apparently the 'old' box can do everything the fibre-optic cant. Unfortunately they wouldn't install that for us and cant say when they'll upgrade the new ones!
Old May 27th 2010, 1:03 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

I have been trying to get a definitive answer from E-vision regards the HD package.

Like the previous poster I was with Showtime and had a showbox. I could plan and record progs, pause live TV etc etc.

I have been to the Etisalat desk to the E-vision sales desk. I want to know whether, with the E-vision recordable box, I can preschedule recordings, or whether it is only the programme I am watching that can be recorded.

Do I get answer - yes!! well in fact I get three answers (a different one each time) "Yes you can sir", "no you can't sir" and the most common one - "I don't know sir".

I am not willing to pay the extra money for a new box, and contract just to find I can't preschedule recording.

Does anybody have an E-vision recordable box (not a Showbox)? Can you tell me if you can pre-schedule recordings (eg programme now to record something tomorrow/next week)

Thank you.
Old May 27th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, Etishite can't give evision to where I am ( but I have 16meg bb, and can upgrade to 30 no problem), so have hi-def box. Went and asked if we could have a recordable box for sat, they said yes (woohoo), but have to give up the hi-def.

****ing towels.

Surely they will have a hi-def recordable sometime soon??
Old May 27th 2010, 3:34 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Apparently, Etishite can't give evision to where I am ( but I have 16meg bb, and can upgrade to 30 no problem), so have hi-def box. Went and asked if we could have a recordable box for sat, they said yes (woohoo), but have to give up the hi-def.

****ing towels.

Surely they will have a hi-def recordable sometime soon??
I wouldn't hold your breath slaphead.