British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   E-Coli in local salad vegetables (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/e-coli-local-salad-vegetables-790255/)

Meow Mar 12th 2013 11:13 am

E-Coli in local salad vegetables

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/ge...eh8ts4.twitter

I am not one for scare-mongering, but this has to be something of a concern. There have been numerous suggestions of this over the past few years, but this is the first time I've seen any sort of confirmation.

britexpat76 Mar 12th 2013 11:16 am

Re: E-Coli in local salad vegetables

And that is exactly why I avoid salad. It poisons you.
(Do I have to remove the lettuce in BigMac's?)

Millhouse Mar 12th 2013 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10598757)
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/ge...eh8ts4.twitter

I am not one for scare-mongering, but this has to be something of a concern. There have been numerous suggestions of this over the past few years, but this is the first time I've seen any sort of confirmation.

scaremongering... it's also on your toothbrush

http://worldental.org/oral-hygiene/t...-bacteria/765/

just wash the shit off the veggies and you'll be fine.

Meow Mar 12th 2013 11:21 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10598763)

Perhaps just eat lots of boiled cabbage instead?

britexpat76 Mar 12th 2013 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10598773)
Perhaps just eat lots of boiled cabbage instead?

I smell bad enough as it is :(

jam25mack Mar 12th 2013 11:24 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10598763)

I'm with you there. I'm a 100% paid up carnivore!

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to then start eating plants!

Meow Mar 12th 2013 11:24 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10598778)
I smell bad enough as it is :(

I thought there was a growing market for natural gas?

al dente Mar 12th 2013 11:54 am

Our compound in AD became a toxic mess last year. 12 houses were diagnosed with Giardia, so we demanded testing etc. and there was no cholrine found in the communal pool. The ADDC came and tested our individual water tanks and found mine to have a full bacteria count but it didn't test positive for e.coli and other choleric bateria. That wasn't much consolation as I was ill for over a month and my 9 month old ended up in hospital.

In the end over 30 people had become ill.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 12th 2013 12:13 pm

I love the local cucumbers in my salad, and the local lettuces...but they always get a thorough wash.

Don't suppose that get's rid of a bug like E.coli though does it?

(BTW - yeah, I'm tight, those veggies are WAY cheaper)

Bahtatboy Mar 12th 2013 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10598899)
I love the local cucumbers in my salad, and the local lettuces...but they always get a thorough wash.

Don't suppose that get's rid of a bug like E.coli though does it?

(BTW - yeah, I'm tight, those veggies are WAY cheaper)

I also try to buy locally-produced stuff (partly for price, but mainly on principle: buying tomatoes from bloody Holland, which are tasteless but look lovely, versus shit-covered misshappen ones from the surrounding countries seems madness), but chemicals worry me far more than bugs, and I don't image Jordan, for example, has enforced controls on pesticides.

Spinneys sells veg cleaner--anyone tried it? I'd have thought that a good wash under the tap should remove bacteria, or am I being naive?

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 12th 2013 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10599365)
I also try to buy locally-produced stuff (partly for price, but mainly on principle: buying tomatoes from bloody Holland, which are tasteless but look lovely, versus shit-covered misshappen ones from the surrounding countries seems madness), but chemicals worry me far more than bugs, and I don't image Jordan, for example, has enforced controls on pesticides.

Spinneys sells veg cleaner--anyone tried it? I'd have thought that a good wash under the tap should remove bacteria, or am I being naive?

Agree with buying local for the same reasons.

Interested to see who knows what about bacteria. I'm still alive but who knows.

norsk Mar 12th 2013 8:05 pm

We eat local and regional vegetables whenever possible. Buying stuff shipped in from US/Aus and NZ is madness.

This whole story sounds like bullshit to me though...Bad journalism probably.

It did make me think about picking up some vegetable cleaner though. Growing up in Africa we used the stuff on all fruit and vegetables.

UKCityGent Mar 13th 2013 3:40 am

As someone who goes thru veg literally by the kilos - i throw all the veg in a pot of water and put some baking soda - no aftertaste or smell - and if that doesnt kill any bacteria then whatever doesnt kill you will make you stronger !

shiva Mar 13th 2013 4:19 am

Buy local
Shipping in shite veg from the us, holland etc is insane and the local mis shapen stuff tends to actually have a taste.
Local regulations on pesticides etc are actually not bad, enforcement however is a guess. That said European food regulations are a ****ing joke and fresh veg in Europe isnt even close to fresh, think huge underground bunkers chilled and full of shitty gases. Peppers for example sold as fresh in Europe can be over six months old that's why they look great but have zero taste.

Re washing, baking soda and water or Milton do the job but generally a good scrub to remove the shit will do an ok job.

We obsess over bacteria forgetting that by number we are composed of more bacterial cells than human. A total sterile human with no bacteria in their gut, body or skin will die.

If you want to avoid illness from bacteria, scrub your veg, DO NOT use anti bacterial soaps or cleaners especially any that contain triclosan.
Do not touch anything in public loos here, buy a new keyboard, clean your office phone, don't use water coolers and buy a new toothbrush.

Or just get on with life

gottheTshirt Mar 13th 2013 5:04 am

The best tasting vegetables are from Lebanon/Syria/Jordan most of which are grown in untreated sewage. Lebanese strawberries are excellent. But don't eat water melon: it grows too fast and the pathogens remain in the fruit.
E-coli will not survive above 70 degree C. Most water in the GCC is by thermal desalination and is consequently free (at source) from e-coli. When vegetables are exposed to e-coli (irrigated with contaminated water (e.g ineffectively treated treated sewage effluent in the GCC or raw sewage in MENA, Pakistan/India) then the e-coli can form a bio-film over the surface which will penetrate the surface of the vegetable. This cannot be removed by washing or disinfectant. The only effective removal is by heating to above 70 degree C. The same goes for the minced beef in your Big Mac. It is only safe if the meat is heated to above 70 degree C. Having said that my family and I have been living in Africa, Asia and MENA and eating the stuff without any special precautions (other than normal washing and occasionally disinfecting ,when we remember) for the last 35 years. We have inevitably suffered the odd case of Gastroenteritis, Gardia etc. but we have all survived. Apparently the benefits of eating fruit and vegetables far outweigh the concerns; just use some common sense. Only eat salad that you have prepared or comes from popular decent restaurants where the customers are mainly alive and are western. Many Africans and Asians (that manage to survive past childhood) have a much higher tolerance than westerners have.

As Shiva says "just get on with life" - the article is scaremongering.

Cypselos Mar 13th 2013 6:17 am

jarjeer (ccientific name rocket/rocca)
Tells you all you need to know about the quality of jornalism in this article.

Bahtatboy Mar 13th 2013 8:46 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 10599794)

It did make me think about picking up some vegetable cleaner though. Growing up in Africa we used the stuff on all fruit and vegetables.

Yeah, but you've got a nasty blue abcess on your lips...

Bahtatboy Mar 13th 2013 8:52 am

So how does the radio news work out here? The topic was the first item on Radio 2 news the day before yesterday, and I sort of took it as an official health warning. Or am I being naive, and the radio news is as vulnerable to crap reporting as the newspapers?

norsk Mar 13th 2013 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10600721)
Yeah, but you've got a nasty blue abcess on your lips...

fortunately it has disappeared over the years..:rofl:

britexpat76 Mar 13th 2013 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10600727)
Or am I being naive, and the radio news is as vulnerable to crap reporting as the newspapers?

Do they not just dictate what is in the papers?