British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   DXB? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dxb-839584/)

old.sparkles Jul 27th 2014 10:09 am

DXB?

Young spark will be flying back to the UK later this year and it makes me a bit nervous to say the least (young spark is 19 and has Asperger's). He has 2 1/2 hours between flights - is DXB easy to find your way around? Anything I need to be aware of before he gets on the plane this end? Any help much appreciated #worriedmum :unsure:

Bongoman2 Jul 27th 2014 11:04 am

Re: DXB?

You could always get him a chaperone for the whole transit with Marhaba service?

I have used it them a few times with visiting grandparents etc.

Marhaba Transfer Service at DXB

old.sparkles Jul 27th 2014 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Bongoman2 (Post 11349280)
You could always get him a chaperone for the whole transit with Marhaba service?

I have used it them a few times with visiting grandparents etc.

Marhaba Transfer Service at DXB

Thank you for that - was considering contacting Qantas / Emirates to see if they offer assistance but that would work wonderfully - thank you :)

Bongoman2 Jul 27th 2014 11:18 am

No problem,

There is also another option, Ahlan. My wife preferred Ahlan as they worked a bit higher in the aim-to-please stakes, so you might have more luck getting them to meet your son right up at the plane door, not at their stand like Marhaba does with their basic package.
Ahlan Service

i just remembered that the Ahlan service took my wife to their lounge while they collected her luggage, got visas stamped and called me while i was on the road to pick her up but stuck in traffic. Much better service thinking back.

old.sparkles Jul 27th 2014 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Bongoman2 (Post 11349290)
No problem,

There is also another option, Ahlan. My wife preferred Ahlan as they worked a bit higher in the aim-to-please stakes, so you might have more luck getting them to meet your son right up at the plane door, not at their stand like Marhaba does with their basic package.
Ahlan Service

i just remembered that the Ahlan service took my wife to their lounge while they collected her luggage, got visas stamped and called me while i was on the road to pick her up but stuck in traffic. Much better service thinking back.

Thanks - he's only passing through on way to UK, and both flights should be at Terminal 3 from the info I can find in google, but it does worry me. Being met at the plane would ensure no mistakes really :)

Patsy Stoned Jul 28th 2014 4:03 am

I would definitely use Ahlan service for your son. They meet you at the aircraft and take you to their lounge whilst the porter collects the luggage etc, although I guess you won't need that if he is transit with Emirates, but having somebody watching out for him and being able to access their lounge would put your mind at ease. Dubai is a very large, busy airport and your son could easily get lost.. better to be safe than sorry.
Also, Ahlan is much cheaper and also better than Marhaba.

mikewot Jul 28th 2014 5:07 am

Yes Ahlan over Marhaba, much better service and cheaper.

old.sparkles Jul 28th 2014 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 11349868)
I would definitely use Ahlan service for your son. They meet you at the aircraft and take you to their lounge whilst the porter collects the luggage etc, although I guess you won't need that if he is transit with Emirates, but having somebody watching out for him and being able to access their lounge would put your mind at ease. Dubai is a very large, busy airport and your son could easily get lost.. better to be safe than sorry.
Also, Ahlan is much cheaper and also better than Marhaba.

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11349885)
Yes Ahlan over Marhaba, much better service and cheaper.

Thank you both for taking the time to post - I had a look a the website, and it looks like I can book their services online :)

Patsy Stoned Jul 28th 2014 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11349964)
Thank you both for taking the time to post - I had a look a the website, and it looks like I can book their services online :)

Yes you can, and it is easy to do. If you need to give a Dubai number in case of problems, or they need a local number for any reason do let me know and I will pm my mobile number to you... just in case they need to get in touch with somebody urgently xx

old.sparkles Jul 28th 2014 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 11350250)
Yes you can, and it is easy to do. If you need to give a Dubai number in case of problems, or they need a local number for any reason do let me know and I will pm my mobile number to you... just in case they need to get in touch with somebody urgently xx

Thank you so much - that is a fantastic offer :)

Siouxie Jul 28th 2014 8:09 pm

Ummm old.sparkles - I hate to be the one to say it, but Ahlan say it's not for people in transit :(

"...This Ahlan Service is available only to passengers that are leaving the Dubai International Airport through Immigration and is not for those in transit..."

:(

old.sparkles Jul 28th 2014 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11350560)
Ummm old.sparkles - I hate to be the one to say it, but Ahlan say it's not for people in transit :(

"...This Ahlan Service is available only to passengers that are leaving the Dubai International Airport through Immigration and is not for those in transit..."

:(

Thanks Siouxie - I missed that bit :(

Patsy Stoned Jul 29th 2014 12:11 pm

Ok, I found this darling Al Majlis

Al Majlis

Experience new heights of luxury and exclusivity with Al Majlis. Housed in a dedicated facility minutes away from the three terminals, Al Majlis transforms Dubai International into your luxurious home away from home – whether you are arriving, departing or in transit.

Be our privileged guest and book now to enjoy the comfort of luxury every time you travel.

Patsy Stoned Jul 29th 2014 12:22 pm

AH!!!..this service costs about 1200dhs!!! Which is about £200 WTF!!!
However Marhaba do a transfer service..

https://www.marhabaservices.com/

"Marhaba is our exclusive meet & greet service that makes the airport something to look forward to—for you, your clients or your loved ones. From speedy clearance through arrivals or departures to helping with transfers, baggage and family travel, we ensure a swift, smooth and safe passage through the airport. We even have our own lounges, reserved for Marhaba customers.

Take the stress out of family travel and your holiday can begin before you even get to the airport. Book your family meet and greet service for departure dates before 10th October 2014 and receive a 20% discount. Enter the Promo Code FAMSP2014 to avail the discount. This offer is valid for passengers departing from Dubai airports only. "

https://www.marhabaservices.com/DXB/...erservice.aspx $44 (about £27 darling).. sounds ok to me :-D
I hope this helps xxx

old.sparkles Jul 29th 2014 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 11351184)
AH!!!..this service costs about 1200dhs!!! Which is about £200 WTF!!!
However Marhaba do a transfer service..

https://www.marhabaservices.com/

"Marhaba is our exclusive meet & greet service that makes the airport something to look forward to—for you, your clients or your loved ones. From speedy clearance through arrivals or departures to helping with transfers, baggage and family travel, we ensure a swift, smooth and safe passage through the airport. We even have our own lounges, reserved for Marhaba customers.

Take the stress out of family travel and your holiday can begin before you even get to the airport. Book your family meet and greet service for departure dates before 10th October 2014 and receive a 20% discount. Enter the Promo Code FAMSP2014 to avail the discount. This offer is valid for passengers departing from Dubai airports only. "

https://www.marhabaservices.com/DXB/...erservice.aspx $44 (about £27 darling).. sounds ok to me :-D
I hope this helps xxx

Thanks Patsy - it's all helping. I was having a little wobble after booking the flights :lol: