British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   DVD Lady (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dvd-lady-754922/)

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 15th 2012 12:45 pm

DVD Lady

Afternoon folks,

I used to get a DVD woman to come round and sell me some good, some dodgy copies when I lived in the Marina.

Since moving towards Downtown I haven't even had one knock on my door.

Does anyone have a number for one of these women that I can call that serves Business Bay / Downtown?

Thanks

Scampwantslatestreleasesnow.

Bahtatboy Apr 15th 2012 12:50 pm

Re: DVD Lady

Are you sure its the latest releases you want? My colleague, who lives in the Marina, had one such lady knock on his door; he said he'd buy 10 if she assisted him with some, er, hand relief. 100 dibs for the 10 dvds, and 50 for the extra service. Brings a whole new meaning to the question, "Were you satisfied with your home delivery service?".

(And yes, it was my colleague.)

Oyibopeppeh Apr 15th 2012 12:56 pm

Here in AD there's a Chinese girl called Toto who comes round to the office hawking DVD's

She's also rumoured to offer "extras" for a negotiable fee.

"Toto" in West African Pidgin means "pussy" :p

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 15th 2012 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10006491)
Are you sure its the latest releases you want? My colleague, who lives in the Marina, had one such lady knock on his door; he said he'd buy 10 if she assisted him with some, er, hand relief. 100 dibs for the 10 dvds, and 50 for the extra service. Brings a whole new meaning to the question, "Were you satisfied with your home delivery service?".

(And yes, it was my colleague.)

I never asked or was offered extras....feel left out now.

Definitely just the latest releases. I'm sure when one comes round she'd be told where to go by my mrs if she offered extras.

mikewot Apr 15th 2012 3:13 pm

Collegue who lives in the Ranches has very recently had the service (no not the hand relief) 10 Dhm for 1 12 for 100 Dhm. Myself I'm a tight sweatie and download everything off of bittorrent, using Du broadband and never had a problem :-)

the_red_sheep Apr 16th 2012 7:53 am

I’ve lived in Downtown for 2+ years and never had a squiff of anyone selling DVD’s (or anything else for that matter), and to the best of my knowledge known of the guys I know who live around there have either.

In my experience the door/reception staff in the downtown buildings tend to be a little more professional than those in the Marina, so I’m guessing the anyone selling anything doesn’t get past them.

Meow Apr 16th 2012 7:54 am

Who buys dodgy DVDs when you download better copies?

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 16th 2012 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10007738)

Because my last three laptops have been torn new arseholes by dodgy film downloads (not filth, but normal films)

mandm65 Apr 16th 2012 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10007738)

Either you are technology shy or don’t have super-duper broadband!!

Meow Apr 16th 2012 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10007750)
Because my last three laptops have been torn new arseholes by dodgy film downloads (not filth, but normal films)

I hate to think where you are downloading them from. What films are you after? There's a fair chance Mr Meow has them and if you ask nicely he'll transfer them to your own memory stick/hard drive.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 16th 2012 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10007756)
I hate to think where you are downloading them from. What films are you after? There's a fair chance Mr Meow has them and if you ask nicely he'll transfer them to your own memory stick/hard drive.

Off the likes of Piratebay / UK Nova. Always caused me issues historically.

I just want to flick through loads of films and take 10 every couple of weeks or whatever.

Autonomy Apr 16th 2012 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10007763)
Off the likes of Piratebay / UK Nova. Always caused me issues historically.

I just want to flick through loads of films and take 10 every couple of weeks or whatever.

not that I think I should advocate piracy....

kickass torrents has always been good. recently blocked here though but using a vpn will get you better download speeds anyway.

Check the downloader comments on the torrent and also check the files before you download. Never download a zip or RAR file. Also get a decent virus checker.

mikewot Apr 16th 2012 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10007779)
Check the downloader comments on the torrent and also check the files before you download. Never download a zip or RAR file. Also get a decent virus checker.

Concur, check the comments before you download. There are many free virus checkers like AVG out there.

Dumbo Apr 16th 2012 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10007779)
not that I think I should advocate piracy....

kickass torrents has always been good. recently blocked here though but using a vpn will get you better download speeds anyway.

I must be doing something wrong, I always lose about 60% of speed through to Veep.

Autonomy Apr 16th 2012 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Dumbo (Post 10007852)
I must be doing something wrong, I always lose about 60% of speed through to Veep.

I'm on Du - 16 mbps broadband. If I torrent without a Veep I'll get a max download of approx 100kb/s (I assume it's throttled) - if I turn on veep to LA or New York it'll regularly be 15 times faster.

We've had this conversation on the board before and seemed to be no definitive answers - but that's my experience....