British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dull question - nut flours in Dubai? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dull-question-nut-flours-dubai-699863/)

Autonomy Jan 9th 2011 4:43 pm

Dull question - nut flours in Dubai?

Hello Bored,

Anyone know where in Dubai sells coconut or almond flour?

Spinneys didn't seem to...

Thanks in advance...

Auto

shiva Jan 9th 2011 5:32 pm

Re: Dull question - nut flours in Dubai?

carrefour, lulu's, coop etc usually have almond flour and sometimes coconut flour.
for some recipes you can use shredded coconut instead of flour

nb almond flour is just finely ground almonds so can be made yourself in a blender if needed same with coconut

Autonomy Jan 9th 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9088886)
carrefour, lulu's, coop etc usually have almond flour and sometimes coconut flour.
for some recipes you can use shredded coconut instead of flour

nb almond flour is just finely ground almonds so can be made yourself in a blender if needed same with coconut

I thought you might know... :)

Day one of primal blueprint.... or as the wife is calling it - the caveman diet....

Hello.Kitty Jan 9th 2011 6:10 pm

AL Maya have coconut flour - at 40AED for 500g, mind. They also have hard coconut oil for cooking. At least the one under Dream Tower in the marina does. Coconut flour in the home baking section and the oil in, er... a random location, top shelf...I think near the evaporated milk, which is opposite the sugar... can you tell I spend far too much time in there?! lol

If you're looking for non-wheat flour, just get the biggest and cheapest bag of mixed nuts from lulus and blend the blighters senseless.

Spugsy Jan 9th 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9088800)
Hello Bored,

Thanks in advance...

Auto

theres a place in Wafi that does loads of amazing nuts, spices etc - you could try there?

Eva Jan 9th 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9088904)

Day one of primal blueprint.... or as the wife is calling it - the caveman diet....

You don't look like you need to diet.....

Blue Cat Jan 10th 2011 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9088800)
Hello Bored,

Thanks in advance...

Auto

almond flour? shortbread? :p

Autonomy Jan 10th 2011 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9089972)
almond flour? shortbread? :p

Thanks all - thanks for the blending suggestions too.

Eva - I've put on a few ounces of Plasticine since my avatar picture was taken. Don't need to lose too much - but some would be good... along with just generally being fitter and eating better....

BC - Nope - non-wheat fish cakes - but thanks!

shiva Jan 10th 2011 5:56 am

good stuff, enjoy the results

Meow Jan 10th 2011 6:20 am

Read The Sunday Times via the iPad then? ;) They had a big piece all about it in the Style section yesterday.

The foods they suggested sound nice, but reading anything that talks about restricting carbs or cheese just gives me terrible cravings for pizza...

Autonomy Jan 10th 2011 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9090090)
Read The Sunday Times via the iPad then? ;) They had a big piece all about it in the Style section yesterday.

The foods they suggested sound nice, but reading anything that talks about restricting carbs or cheese just gives me terrible cravings for pizza...

No - I didn't see that (or subscribe to it...) - it was Mr Shiva that highlighted it to me and sent loads of research papers etc - I bought the book etc - it all makes a lot of sense...

And yes there are things I'll miss and perhaps occasionally I'll slip up - but on the whole the science and theory makes sense to me - will let you know how it goes....

Hello.Kitty Jan 10th 2011 2:50 pm

just an update on the coconut oil - if anyone cares - they've moved it next to the philipino products, opposite the chilled cheese spreads.

Autonomy Jan 10th 2011 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9090957)
just an update on the coconut oil - if anyone cares - they've moved it next to the philipino products, opposite the chilled cheese spreads.

haha - thanks for the update - found the nut flours in a Carrefour...