British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dublin (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dublin-777164/)

Bahtatboy Nov 10th 2012 6:48 am

Dublin

...is frigging dangerous. Currently in the Etihad lounge at 07:45. Didn't actually get to bed last night. Hoping the eggs benedict and coffee are going to sober me up.

Bahtatboy Nov 10th 2012 7:16 am

Re: Dublin

And there is some wonderful Irishness here:

Irish Couple sitting at the table next to me, talking to an old Irish guy at the table next to them: "And there are a lot of superstitions." "What sort? Like silly superstitions?" Oh no, ******* rational ones.

Cash machine pre-sets: €20, €40, €90, €140. WTF? So I select €90. Machine thinks about it for a while, then informs me, "Your selected amount cannot be dispensed. Please choose another amount." Was tempted to go for €73 just to see.

Taxi driver was from Dalian, China. Just as well there's full employment here...

Bahtatboy Nov 10th 2012 7:18 am

God my head hurts.

kittycat1 Nov 10th 2012 7:19 am

love the irish- bring back some lovely irish boys please :-)

Sherlock Holmes Nov 10th 2012 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10375432)
God my head hurts.

BANG !

Bahtatboy Nov 10th 2012 7:21 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10375433)
love the irish- bring back some lovely irish boys please :-)

There were a couple of dancers at Johnny Fox's you'd have liked.

Bahtatboy Nov 10th 2012 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes (Post 10375434)
BANG !

Bastard.

Sherlock Holmes Nov 10th 2012 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10375438)
Bastard.

Been hitting the Smithwicks have we?

weasel decentral Nov 10th 2012 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10375436)
There were a couple of dancers at Johnny Fox's you'd have liked.

if you are still in dublin go find a pub called the blue light (no its not a gay pub)its up the mountains close to sandyford. so give the oirish one a miss (johnny foxes) and find this one.
for directions find a place called lamb doyles bar, very well known and its another 2 km up into the hills.

well worth a look

Bahtatboy Nov 11th 2012 5:22 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10375586)
if you are still in dublin go find a pub called the blue light (no its not a gay pub)its up the mountains close to sandyford. so give the oirish one a miss (johnny foxes) and find this one.
for directions find a place called lamb doyles bar, very well known and its another 2 km up into the hills.

well worth a look

Cheers, will have to be next time.

Bloody good food we had, along with the Guinness:
Black and white pudding, thick tasty bacon, juicy sausages and soft, creamy scrambled egg for brekky (at the Westin).
Eden smokies (rich and creamy), succulent salmon with interesting veg at the Eden Restaurant.
Good honest simple grub at Johnny Fox's, along with an entertaining band and great dancers (ok, probably at bit touristy, but the place was packed and everyone had a great time).
Gravalax-y smoked salmon with sesame puree and very juicy venison at Bang Restaurant. Cheese plate was a bit mean and they ran out of port after 4 glasses. Bit nouvelle cuisiney but good nonetheless.
Excellent service everywhere, and although the pubs were full it was all very convivial.

Need a week to sober up.

Desert Dubliner Nov 11th 2012 6:07 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10375586)

well worth a look

Stoop Your Head in Swords is another one with great sea food. Marco Pierre White's on Dawson street for steaks.