British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dubai - your metro guide.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-your-metro-guide-628079/)

Autonomy Aug 28th 2009 9:01 pm

Dubai - your metro guide....

1 Attachment(s)
All you wanted to know...

Eva Aug 28th 2009 9:16 pm

Re: Dubai - your metro guide....

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7884722)
All you wanted to know...

Won't open for me......
Do you think though it will smell as good as the orange from Cessnock to
St Georges X ? Lovely, musty, dank from the Molendiner :)

Autonomy Aug 28th 2009 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7884763)
Won't open for me......

not sure why... sorry Eva.... it probably will in the gold class 1/2 carriage western expats and GCC use it..... maybe moist too

Eva Aug 28th 2009 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7884862)
not sure why... sorry Eva.... it probably will in the gold class 1/2 carriage western expats and GCC use it..... maybe moist too

Gaaaaaads Auto TMI!!!
Ya know what I mean if you were ever on the SPTE Underground.
Anyway,think it's my Word which isn't letting it open from PDF.
x

Inselaffen Aug 29th 2009 12:39 am

Dubai Expats Guide to Metro

get a taxi!

The Dean Aug 29th 2009 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7885320)
Dubai Expats Guide to Metro

get a taxi!

Yea - changed economic circumstances means the old 'I-had-to-wait-over-an-hour' chestnut is a thing of the past. Last time I was in Dubai I had three empty taxis fighting each other to pick me up.

klaus3974 Aug 29th 2009 4:20 am

Give it a chance folks!

Ethos83 Aug 29th 2009 5:25 am

If I lived right by a metro stop and worked right by a metro stop, I'd give it a chance.

But I don't. There's no incentive to take the metro anywhere in Dubai, not even for boozing, as I would still need to take a taxi from the metro stop to my villa. A year ago I might have even bothered to take the metro to go to the Creek in Bur Dubai as a means to avoid the intense traffic jams of the area, but that's disappeared thanks to the credit crunch.

Originally Posted by klaus3974 (Post 7885602)
Give it a chance folks!

Inselaffen Aug 29th 2009 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 7885673)
If I lived right by a metro stop and worked right by a metro stop, I'd give it a chance.

But I don't. There's no incentive to take the metro anywhere in Dubai, not even for boozing, as I would still need to take a taxi from the metro stop to my villa. A year ago I might have even bothered to take the metro to go to the Creek in Bur Dubai as a means to avoid the intense traffic jams of the area, but that's disappeared thanks to the credit crunch.

if they want to make it suceed they need to vastly increase the number of buses and have a fully integrated public transport system (also get rid of the stupid rule with a few seats for women only) and then vastly increase taxatin on petrol and cars.

I ran a Mustang in Dubai and now don't even own a car in Singapore. the only annoying thing here is the surcharges on Taxis at certain times of day. I can't use a bus when I have hockey training due to the size of my hockey kit. I need to take 3 taxis which end up costing me 30 quid. thats a lot of money just to go training.

The Dean Aug 29th 2009 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7885734)
if they want to make it suceed they need to vastly increase the number of buses and have a fully integrated public transport system (also get rid of the stupid rule with a few seats for women only) and then vastly increase taxatin on petrol and cars.

I ran a Mustang in Dubai and now don't even own a car in Singapore. the only annoying thing here is the surcharges on Taxis at certain times of day. I can't use a bus when I have hockey training due to the size of my hockey kit. I need to take 3 taxis which end up costing me 30 quid. thats a lot of money just to go training.

They also need to open more than NINE stations!!

http://business.maktoob.com/20090000...ch/Article.htm

Confucius Aug 29th 2009 11:58 am

You think we might be fortunate to see Japanese types on the Metro???

TGFKASE Aug 30th 2009 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7884763)
Won't open for me......

Ahh... The Clockwork Orange.. I used to have the garden flat right next door to Cessnock station.. I always called it Cessnock as no self-respecting Aberdonian would EVER admit to living in Ibrox...

commander Aug 30th 2009 5:29 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7887998)
Ahh... The Clockwork Orange.. I used to have the garden flat right next door to Cessnock station.. I always called it Cessnock as no self-respecting Aberdonian would EVER admit to living in Ibrox...

so you lived beside the PRW then, you blue nose:D

TGFKASE Aug 30th 2009 6:00 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7888038)
so you lived beside the PRW then, you blue nose:D

I certainly did.. One day even chanced having a pint in The District.. Durrant pics and shirts everywhere...

My local was in Tradeston, the Lord Nelson. I was there token sheep shagger. Was only allowed to drink there 48 weeks of the year, as was banned from attending said establishment the week before the Aberdeen- Rankers games, lest any pre-match ribaldry went too far...

Sandboy Aug 30th 2009 12:40 pm

During Ramadan, the Metro will operate from 6am to midnight, apart from Fridays when operating hours will be 2pm until midnight. Initially, the trains will run at a rate of six per hour, or every ten minutes. Normal operating hours will be 6am to 11pm, except Fridays, when it will operate from 2pm
so on a Friday it will only operate from 2pm ? :confused: