Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai - what is happening

Dubai - what is happening

Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:09 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai - what is happening

Originally Posted by andrewhudson
Not much difference noted. The place is copying the US and UK in most things. Dubai has some great eatouts though.Love Chinese food, try P.F Changs. Great Place to shop as well with Mall of the Emirates, City centre Deira . Loved the Ski Dubai, the indoor Skiing fascility , it was quite an experience.
each to their own of course but personally i find PF Changs is ****ing awful food
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:13 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
each to their own of course but personally i find PF Changs is ****ing awful food
It's American Chinese but that's all the Americans seem to know. A couple of okay dishes and overpriced so I have no idea why people rave about it.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:16 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
It's American Chinese but that's all the Americans seem to know. A couple of okay dishes and overpriced so I have no idea why people rave about it.
simple really. the chinese offered in dubai is either greasy and disgusting or seriously overpriced and tasteless. my local takeaway in the UK had better chinese than any of the restaurants i have been to here..
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
So apparently the prices are slipping steadily (according to the media) and there is a lot more to come. According to the papers it is a couple of percent here and there, but nothing major and the way it is reported is of the expected journalistic standard. On the grapevine you hear plenty about massive drops as well, but I have not seen any proof and everything is a friend of a friend of a friend style.

The actual reasons for the slippage seems to be disputed amongst the so-called professionals, but this could just be a smoke screen. They can't seem to make up their mind whether it is the extra capacity in the form of new stock coming onto the market, a secondary/tertiary effect of the drop in oil price, the dollar, the euro, the rouble, the tiny increase in property fees , or maybe even the fact that the whole market was hyped up beyond belief and none of the good news stories we have seen since early 2014 were entirely true.... (of course nobody has reported on this last one - don't be stupid).

Anyone come across good deals on rental lately or is this drop in prices a red herring so far?
FWIW I have yet to hear of anyone getting any reduction in rent. That's when we know something is really changing.

I do know of a few redundancies but not vast numbers, although anyone linked to O&G is, understandably, very nervous.
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

It's American Chinese but that's all the Americans seem to know.I have no idea why people rave about it.
Because the OP is a raving lunatic who needs his bumps felt.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:18 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I have yet to hear of anyone getting any reduction in rent. That's when we know something is really changing.
Ditto. Although it is interesting that the RERA calculator is now only being updated once a year. Hhhhmmmm
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:21 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by mikewot
Ditto. Although it is interesting that the RERA calculator is now only being updated once a year. Hhhhmmmm
No wonder we're cynical about everything we hear...
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:23 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I do know of a few redundancies but not vast numbers, although anyone linked to O&G is, understandably, very nervous.
Me neither, but that could just be because everyone we know live in desirable locations (ie last to be hit).

As for redundancies I actually know at least 5 people who have been unceremoniously chopped in the last 6 months and many more who are convinced it is just a matter of time before they are off.

Another indicator is that companies with multiple offices seem to be downsizing again. In my building in Media City a huge oil company are moving out (they have a whole building next door) and also a massive two letter conglomerate are apparently vacating (they also have their own building close by).

I don't need a crash to be honest. It just makes things complicated..
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:25 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

No wonder we're cynical about everything we hear...
RERA is a tool to reduce volatility in the market. I'm actually surprised they ever updated it more often than once a year.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:29 am
Account Closed

As for redundancies I actually know at least 5 people who have been unceremoniously chopped in the last 6 months.
In my company all of the Western managers have been chopped this year. My own boss without warning, just called on Friday evening to come to main HQ Sat morning with his laptop and pass.
But this is all to do with Emiratisation, all have been replaced by locals. On the shop floor locals do not have the skills or experience yet, so still Westerners doing the grunt work.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:31 am
Account Closed

I'm actually surprised they ever updated it more often than once a year.
But when rents were shooting up it was good for LL. Now......
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:50 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by mikewot
But when rents were shooting up it was good for LL. Now......
True. If you are right this means they are blatantly manipulating the market though.

More fairy tales in the media this morning. Apparently people are afraid of ISIL, Yemen and Iran according to Better Homes CEO. What is he smoking?

"Rental price trends do not always follow sales price trends," says Better Homes CEO - ArabianBusiness.com
Old Sep 8th 2015, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

PF Changs is dreadful.

I've eaten there twice. The second time I came out of the place literally shivering and feeling odd due to the MSG.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by shiva
Could not agree more, apart from the Dynamite Prawns, the other items are rubbish and overpriced.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 9:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
PF Changs is dreadful.

I've eaten there twice. The second time I came out of the place literally shivering and feeling odd due to the MSG.
Never eaten there. The only Chinese I've ever had (and had several times without any issues) is Chin Chins. It's OK, but like everything - someone has had it and hated it or says it's shit...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.