Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai - what is happening

Dubai - what is happening

Old Sep 8th 2015, 9:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai - what is happening

Originally Posted by norsk
True. If you are right this means they are blatantly manipulating the market though.

More fairy tales in the media this morning. Apparently people are afraid of ISIL, Yemen and Iran according to Better Homes CEO. What is he smoking?

"Rental price trends do not always follow sales price trends," says Better Homes CEO - ArabianBusiness.com
His words:

"Investors and owner-occupiers are worried about the regional situation and one of two things need to happen for transaction volumes to grow significantly: either people need to see that the path ahead in terms of oil prices, Yemen, ISIL and Iran are firmly under control, stabilised and predictable; or, rental yields need to grow to 'price in' the regional risk. Of course some investors are still buying and taking advantage of the lower prices. It’s likely that they will be the real beneficiaries of this slow down but that route isn't for everyone because most people value security above profit."

I was going to pull apart much of his arguments but I really can't be arsed. In my experience a significant proportion of buyers here are driven purely by greed and eagerly swallow the hype regarding property.

One of the main reasons a fall in property values won't be such an issue this/next time is due to the Central Bank lending limits although foolishly some people are taking out massive personal loans for deposits.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

There's no good inexpensive Chinese in Dubai. Why? Because of pork.

There's two decent Chinese restaurants in JLT, Homey and Star Lake. Definitely Chinese and not American Chinese or British Chinese or Indian Chinese. Lots of Chinese diners. But I have mixed feelings about the quality of the ingredients, especially the meat, used.

Real Chinese food based on what I've seen can be extremely....different. I've had some fantastic Chinese and HK is brilliant but I'd still take P F Changs over a lot of authentic Chinese any day.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 9:35 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH

There's two decent Chinese restaurants in JLT, Homey and Star Lake. Definitely Chinese and not American Chinese or British Chinese or Indian Chinese. Lots of Chinese diners. But I have mixed feelings about the quality of the ingredients, especially the meat, used.

Real Chinese food based on what I've seen can be extremely....different. I've had some fantastic Chinese and HK is brilliant but I'd still take P F Changs over a lot of authentic Chinese any day.
I used to go to a few authentic Chinese restaurants in AD--few, if any, non-Chinese guests. Food was fantastic, and often extremely spicy. But I share your concerns about the ingredients, and probably the MSG. Worth risking occasionally, though.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
His words:

"Investors and owner-occupiers are worried about the regional situation and one of two things need to happen for transaction volumes to grow significantly: either people need to see that the path ahead in terms of oil prices, Yemen, ISIL and Iran are firmly under control, stabilised and predictable; or, rental yields need to grow to 'price in' the regional risk. Of course some investors are still buying and taking advantage of the lower prices. It’s likely that they will be the real beneficiaries of this slow down but that route isn't for everyone because most people value security above profit."

I was going to pull apart much of his arguments but I really can't be arsed. In my experience a significant proportion of buyers here are driven purely by greed and eagerly swallow the hype regarding property.

One of the main reasons a fall in property values won't be such an issue this/next time is due to the Central Bank lending limits although foolishly some people are taking out massive personal loans for deposits.
The bit about rental yields growing in to reflect risk is actually quite right in my opinion. Rental yields here have been way to low for too long and did not reflect the risk in the region. A 6% yield on a UAE property isn't enough in my opinion. Of course, he has tried to spin this to say everything is OK.

Of course... the other way of agreeing about rental yields growing in is that the capital values should plummet 25%, and the rents drop 20%.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Never eaten there. The only Chinese I've ever had (and had several times without any issues) is Chin Chins. It's OK, but like everything - someone has had it and hated it or says it's shit...
I refuse to eat Chin Chins too.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 11:47 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Chin Chins was our go to chinese takeaway until 2 years ago when we had a severely bad experience. We then changed to China Garden, but that also went downhill. The last few times we have ordered from Pei Wei which is owned by PF Changs, but seems less overpriced and awful.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 12:23 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Not true, the China Sea in Deira is excellent and does not have a pork licence (more's the pity because if it did it would be outstanding.)

PF Changs serves muck though..
Old Sep 8th 2015, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Been there.

Half the menu is disgusting. Innards and chicken feet and tripe. I'll take PF Changs any day.

Weird smell inside the place. Never looks clean.

Zomato users gives it pretty poor reviews, averaging 2.8/5.

Originally Posted by miuser2
Not true, the China Sea in Deira is excellent and does not have a pork licence (more's the pity because if it did it would be outstanding.)

PF Changs serves muck though..
Old Sep 8th 2015, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Been there.

Half the menu is disgusting. Innards and chicken feet and tripe. I'll take PF Changs any day.

Yes you're right it is a bit foreign alright.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 3:00 pm
Hit 16's

It's not that Chinese eat bits of animals that you didn't know you could eat, it's that they eat bits of animals you didn't know animals had.

Actually that's a description of Korean cuisine, but it holds good for Chinese too.

Plus, Chinese only eat animals whose backs face the sun.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Actually that's a description of Korean cuisine,
A Korean restaurant also gives dog obedience lessons, they'll teach you how to walk (wok) your dog!

I'm here all week folks!
Old Sep 9th 2015, 5:21 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Of course... the other way of agreeing about rental yields growing in is that the capital values should plummet 25%, and the rents drop 20%.
Far too sensible and far too much like an actual reflection of reality to happen here unfortunately
Old Sep 9th 2015, 5:23 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Been there.

Sounds like a fairly real Chinese restaurant then
Old Sep 9th 2015, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Back on topic.

Went to that wankfest known as Cityscape today for a few hours.

Some impressive projects. The canal tops it all. Dubai Hills estate, a larger version of the Ranches by Emaar, is probably second most impressive.

One thing I noticed compared to the last time I went which was back in 08 is that there were far fewer consultancy firms represented. Almost all developers. And lots of Turkish ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.