Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai Visa, working in Doha..

Dubai Visa, working in Doha..

Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough
Default Dubai Visa, working in Doha..

I am heading back to the UAE next month to take up a post in Dubai. Most of the first 9 months will be spent on a big project in Doha, I will be working out the Dubai office after this. This has an upside as I get UAE accommodation allowance and free house/car in Doha that I can use for the 9 months(with free flights back to Dubai at weekend if I want).

Timescales are tight so the initial plan seems that I head to Doha initially on UK tourist visa then head to dubai after a few weeks to get UAE residence visa sorted out again. I asked on forum earlier in week about my UAE driving license I previously held, so this should become valid again when I get my UAE residence visa.

Couple of questions I have not been able to find on forum search...

If I have UAE Visa can I freely go between UAE and Qatar at weekends, or will my UK passport soon fill up with UAE/Qatar exit/entry stamps?

Can I buy alcohol in Qatar with UAE visa at the QDC outlet, or am I limited to hotels?

I will also bat back opinions of Doha (and the lack of things to do) based on the understanding that I spent 1 year in Al Ain. Opinions are only valid if posters have lived in Al Ain....at least Doha has corniche!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:44 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Visa, working in Doha..

Originally Posted by flood2
If I have UAE Visa can I freely go between UAE and Qatar at weekends, or will my UK passport soon fill up with UAE/Qatar exit/entry stamps?
From personal experience, you need to paid around 100QAR each time you need to renew your one month visa. Not sure if that is multiple entry or not. Others will know better.

Can I buy alcohol in Qatar with UAE visa at the QDC outlet, or am I limited to hotels?
I'm not 100 per cent sure, but I think it's hotels only.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Britmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really nice

I think your passport will fill up pretty quickly, you could try for a Qatar multi entry business visa to smooth the way at that end.

You can't use the booze shop in Doha unless you have a Qatar liquor licence, and you need a Qatar RP to get one.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a multi entry business visa for Qatar you need a Qatar sponsor and can come in as many times as you want but everytime you leave you need an exit permit. Or your company/sponsor can get you a multiple exit permit. that would work for the doha bit. You can't get a booze licence as was said above but i'm sure people would help you out.

my business visa is a 6 month multiple entry but they usually only stamp my passport for one montgh stay at a time, with no extensions allowed. If you come in as a tourist they will usually extend it for one month. But as you're talking about going to dubai quite often it probably wouldnt be an issue for you.

If you come in on a tourist visa technically you can't work but i've heard that it does happen. The exit permit thing is a pain in the arse unless you have a multiple exit one.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I am heading back to the UAE next month to take up a post in Dubai. Most of the first 9 months will be spent on a big project in Doha, I will be working out the Dubai office after this. This has an upside as I get UAE accommodation allowance and free house/car in Doha that I can use for the 9 months(with free flights back to Dubai at weekend if I want).

Timescales are tight so the initial plan seems that I head to Doha initially on UK tourist visa then head to dubai after a few weeks to get UAE residence visa sorted out again. I asked on forum earlier in week about my UAE driving license I previously held, so this should become valid again when I get my UAE residence visa.

Couple of questions I have not been able to find on forum search...

I will also bat back opinions of Doha (and the lack of things to do) based on the understanding that I spent 1 year in Al Ain. Opinions are only valid if posters have lived in Al Ain....at least Doha has corniche!
As a British passport holder you can come and go as many times as you like into Qatar , it will cost you 100QAR for a single entry visa . Your passport will fill up quickly so i would suggest a U.A.E E-gate to save yourself 2 stamps per trip .

You can't use QDC as you'll not have a Qatari residency , you'll have to find yourself a welcoming friend or just use the Hotels for a few beers .

You'll be fine in Doha , there's plenty to keep you amused during the week until you bail out on a Thursday .
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Cheers, I will look into the UAE E-gate, but do I then have to pay 100QAR every time I come back to Doha? Will they stamp my passport every visit?

I am not sure how often I will go to Dubai as I get free house in Doha and may give it a bit of a go at weekend, maybe staying 2 weekends a month. As I said it has to be an improvement on Al Ain!
Old Sep 29th 2012, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, I will look into the UAE E-gate, but do I then have to pay 100QAR every time I come back to Doha? Will they stamp my passport every visit?

I am not sure how often I will go to Dubai as I get free house in Doha and may give it a bit of a go at weekend, maybe staying 2 weekends a month. As I said it has to be an improvement on Al Ain!
The tourist visa is 100 chips a shot and yes they will stamp your passport in and out .

Doha is a much better place than Al Ain , there's enough to keep you amused .