Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai Villas/Apartments

Dubai Villas/Apartments

Old Jul 1st 2013, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Villas/Apartments

Originally Posted by Millhouse
most like, this post is a boasting one...

No matter what I earn, I would check the bill if it was in my name.
Not boasting - why would I need to? - just pointing out that sometimes people don't realise how lucky they are - me included.

BTW - how do you check a bill? Read the electric meter? How do you know it's right? There is a broad sense of helplessness about all of this..... same as the 'speeding fines' etc - I got done for breaking the limit on the Al Khail Road at a time I know I was parked at work - I asked to see the photo, and there it was..... my car, apparently 'speeding' and 'apparently' at that time.......
Old Nov 12th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

2 1/2 weeks left of this ******* 6 month notice period, finally light at the end of the tunnel. Company has went from being total dicks to being pretty good. I'm going to buy out the rest of the lease and stay in AD until March as the commute wont be bad from Al Reef. I'm pretty much up to speed with the everything on the transfer, but three things stand out that hopefully you DXB folks can answer...

1.) Do I need to register my cars in Dubai, or can I keep them on AD plates? It's no big deal, but if I dont need to, then it'll save me a few hours at the RTA.

2.) Am I expected to change my license from AUH to DXB?

3.) are the A/C bills really that wild in DXB? We have downstairs on all day as the wife is at home with two kids, and we have 3 running at night. This costs me (along with other electric usage and water) around 700 AED a month during the summer. Info I am hearing says it's gonna cost me 3 or 4 times that in DXB?

Thanks in advance as always!

Brian
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Brains1983

3.) are the A/C bills really that wild in DXB? We have downstairs on all day as the wife is at home with two kids, and we have 3 running at night. This costs me (along with other electric usage and water) around 700 AED a month during the summer. Info I am hearing says it's gonna cost me 3 or 4 times that in DXB?

Thanks in advance as always!

Brian
My one bed (1450 sq ft) in the summer costs between 600-900 a month.

I leave it on a higher temp all day (26) just to keep the air moving and some AC coming through so it cools quicker when we're home.

In the winter it's 200-300 a month depending on standing charge (about 1200 a quarter I think).

Palm District cooling are absolute thieves apparently, we're with Empower.

It's not as cheap as yours sounds.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
My one bed (1450 sq ft) in the summer costs between 600-900 a month.

I leave it on a higher temp all day (26) just to keep the air moving and some AC coming through so it cools quicker when we're home.

In the winter it's 200-300 a month depending on standing charge (about 1200 a quarter I think).

Palm District cooling are absolute thieves apparently, we're with Empower.

It's not as cheap as yours sounds.
bugger. we only get the one bill, no district cooling or any of that malarky for us for a (small) 3 bed villa. we left the Aircon on at 22oC for the cats when we went to Brazil for 3 1/2 weeks it was that bloody cheap!

Guess they'll just have to sweat it out next time...
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
bugger. we only get the one bill, no district cooling or any of that malarky for us for a (small) 3 bed villa. we left the Aircon on at 22oC for the cats when we went to Brazil for 3 1/2 weeks it was that bloody cheap!

Guess they'll just have to sweat it out next time...
In the last 12 months, my lowest DEWA bill was 1000dh (power, water & tax) - highest was 3200dh. Tax (fixed) is 700 AED
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

In the last 12 months, my lowest DEWA bill was 1000dh (power, water & tax) - highest was 3200dh. Tax (fixed) is 700 AED
I assume your DEWA includes the AC.....the housing fee is a bugger. Doubled my bill now we are getting charged it in the new apartment.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

What temperature do people keep their homes? 21/22c is cold and I'd be wanting a jumper if the house was that cold. Ours stays largely on 26c which is comfortable unless doing something physical in which case I might drop it a degree.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
What temperature do people keep their homes? 21/22c is cold and I'd be wanting a jumper if the house was that cold. Ours stays largely on 26c which is comfortable unless doing something physical in which case I might drop it a degree.
26oC for TV n sleeping
24oC for guests
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:20 am
Account Closed

Bedroom is at 22.5 all night, I'd like it colder but she'd be in jumper and trackie-bums if it was.

Lounge at the moment is 24 or maybe 22.5 if I'm eating something spicy. The other day we just had the balcony doors open all night and it was lovely.

In the summer though, living room is at 22/23.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

26oC for TV n sleeping
24oC for guests
That sounds reasonable.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That sounds reasonable.
I'm glad that you approve of how I cool my home.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:34 am
Bored liberal

I'm glad that you approve of how I cool my home.
I do. I know you crave my approval.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

79 f living room, 78 in the bedroom
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
79 f living room, 78 in the bedroom
There's always one.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 1:47 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
There's always one.