British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dubai Villas/Apartments (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-villas-apartments-793946/)

Brains1983 Apr 14th 2013 4:24 pm

Dubai Villas/Apartments

Evening bored!

I have a friend, that is looking at a position in Jebel Ali. Him, his mrs and 2 toddlers. I'm confident enough in advising him over the flights/salary/medical sort of stuff, however pretty clueless on the property front.

They would be looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom home, and there would be a preference for a villa over an apartment, but not a very important point.

Looking at a maximum of 45mins commute to Jebel Ali (if possible and for the purpose of this question, let's say interchange 9 or 10 since Jebel Ali is a fair old size).

I can't really help him as I know bugger all about property in Dubai, and wasn't overly confident at the few google search results.

I will suggest he speaks to an agent over here, but any rough indications of what he should be expecting to pay and the sort of locations that he would be looking at would be appreciated!

mikewot Apr 14th 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Dubai Villas/Apartments

Loads of places close to Jebel Ali as the road connections are excellent now onto the old Emirates Road (E311). Springs/Meadows, Jumeirah Village Circle, Victory Heights, Jumeirah Park, Green Community, Al Furjan releasing soon (although roads not great yet).
Dependant on budget Jumeirah Islands or Emirates Hills. Avoid Disco Gardens.

jam25mack Apr 14th 2013 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10658575)
Loads of places close to Jebel Ali as the road connections are excellent now onto the old Emirates Road (E311). Springs/Meadows, Jumeirah Village Circle, Victory Heights, Jumeirah Park, Green Community, Al Furjan releasing soon (although roads not great yet).
Dependant on budget Jumeirah Islands or Emirates Hills. Avoid Disco Gardens.

Jumeriah Village Triangle....(not circle) just in case nothing is coming up. Its a good suggestion, newish reasonble villas, however, apparently there is a lack os 3 beds at the mo.

Emirates Hills..... very expensive as the villas are massive (private pool, lift between floors etc).

Disco Gardens can be OK, just need to look around.

My boss actually lives with his family in a villa in Jebel Ali Village which is nice.

mikewot Apr 15th 2013 4:59 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10658673)
Jumeriah Village Triangle....(not circle) just in case nothing is coming up. Its a good suggestion, newish reasonble villas, however, apparently there is a lack os 3 beds at the mo.

No not JVT, I live there and only 2 beds. JVC has many 3 and 4 beds being released and has facilities which JVT does not.

jam25mack Apr 15th 2013 5:45 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10659307)
No not JVT, I live there and only 2 beds. JVC has many 3 and 4 beds being released and has facilities which JVT does not.

I stand corrected!

Brains1983 Apr 17th 2013 6:13 am

Thanks, what about the utilities?

I've heard that aircon is charged separately at some of the developments (and can be up to 2000 AED p/month for some locations!).

We only pay 300 AED a month for water/electricity combined where we are, seems an excessive jump? Or have I misunderstood things?

Millhouse Apr 17th 2013 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10663592)
Thanks, what about the utilities?

I've heard that aircon is charged separately at some of the developments (and can be up to 2000 AED p/month for some locations!).

We only pay 300 AED a month for water/electricity combined where we are, seems an excessive jump? Or have I misunderstood things?

you understand it correctly.

Winter DEWA (water, tax, and leccy) for me is 1200. Summer 2500-3000.

Brains1983 Apr 17th 2013 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10663600)
you understand it correctly.

Winter DEWA (water, tax, and leccy) for me is 1200. Summer 2500-3000.

bloody hell that's dear!

same story with apartments?

jam25mack Apr 17th 2013 7:43 am

DEWA is made up on the spot, it's just a great big con! Our bills make zero sense! Confusingly our bills are more in the winter when we don't have the AC on than when it is running a lot in the summer.

When you realise that locals don't pay for DEWA then you realise who does! All those stupid lights covering a house for a wedding.... thats coming out of your pocket!

As for AC, it depends. If you are in JBR or on the Palm you will have to pay for district cooling rather than individually within your DEWA. This means you are likely to be paying for all the communal areas in your building aswell. So if you are out of the country and not using anything you are still running up a bill. This is additional to your DEWA bill.

mentalist Apr 17th 2013 8:37 am

and don't forget the bloody housing tax based on a percentage of your rent.

Millhouse Apr 17th 2013 8:41 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10663725)

I just see the tax as rent. all the same - money out of the door. In fact it is rent paid on slightly better terms than my rent.

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2013 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10658535)
Evening bored!

I have a friend, that is looking at a position in Jebel Ali. Him, his mrs and 2 toddlers. I'm confident enough in advising him over the flights/salary/medical sort of stuff, however pretty clueless on the property front.

They would be looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom home, and there would be a preference for a villa over an apartment, but not a very important point.

Looking at a maximum of 45mins commute to Jebel Ali (if possible and for the purpose of this question, let's say interchange 9 or 10 since Jebel Ali is a fair old size).

I can't really help him as I know bugger all about property in Dubai, and wasn't overly confident at the few google search results.

I will suggest he speaks to an agent over here, but any rough indications of what he should be expecting to pay and the sort of locations that he would be looking at would be appreciated!

what budget?

Brains1983 Apr 17th 2013 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10663799)
what budget?

he's still in the negotiating stage, he's looking for a number to suggest to the employer, or if he isn't asked, that he can tell whether the offer is in the right area or not.

Meow Apr 17th 2013 10:37 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10663725)

Not everyone is paying housing tax.... :whistle:

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 17th 2013 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10663889)
Not everyone is paying housing tax.... :whistle:

Nor am I. WHat's the penalty?