Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai / Middle East Sayings

Dubai / Middle East Sayings

Old May 22nd 2017, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dubai / Middle East Sayings

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Think how excruciating it sounds when Americans try to say Derby and that's only half the level of pain...
As excruciating as when they pronounce Derby perfectly, but as the second word in Abu Dhabi.
Old May 22nd 2017, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Some of my favourite Dubai / Middle East Sayings

"Tell me, tell me" When answering the phone.

'What to Do' catch all for when there is a cock up, and don`t blame me.

"Where are you" when you turn up and meet people.

"Inshalla" get out clause for lying.

"Habibi/ Habibti" trying to sound nice when they mean I would steal the sperm from your testacles given half a chance.

"Yannie" I have not got a clue what I want to say but will keep repeating this until I have thought of something.

"Is`nt it" still figuring this one out

"Ma`am Sir" chirrup from the flips

There are more, but I think this will get a list going!!
"Did you reach?"

"Upgradation"

etc...
Old May 23rd 2017, 3:36 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GolfGardener
As excruciating as when they pronounce Derby perfectly, but as the second word in Abu Dhabi.
Yes this, along with Jew-bai (irony much?).

Availing things unprepositionally.

Speaking of prepositions, the following is creeping in everywhere, not least on this bored: between x to y. It doesn't even make sense! You go from x to y and en route you are between x and y.

Meow, it's time to dig up that pedants' revolt meme...
Old May 23rd 2017, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

'Do the needful' and 'revert back to you'. Both make me very shabby and I see native English speakers writing them too.
Old May 23rd 2017, 4:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
start each sentence with 'actually and end it with 'only'
and jiggle your head a bit while doing it
Very good

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I thought twat was fairly universal across the languages?
Yeah, I guess so.

Originally Posted by al dente
'Do the needful' and 'revert back to you'. Both make me very shabby and I see native English speakers writing them too.
Hateful. A bit like random '-ings' added on to the end of words.
Old May 23rd 2017, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The only one that really annoys me is...
It's ok sir

When clearly it is not ****ing ok.
Old May 23rd 2017, 4:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The only one that really annoys me is...
It's ok sir

When clearly it is not ****ing ok.

I couldn't tell you the last time I called a traffic light anything other than 'signal' (coupled with straight / left / right / U-turn).
Old May 23rd 2017, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Yes this, along with Jew-bai (irony much?).

Availing things unprepositionally.

Speaking of prepositions, the following is creeping in everywhere, not least on this bored: between x to y. It doesn't even make sense! You go from x to y and en route you are between x and y.

Meow, it's time to dig up that pedants' revolt meme...
Bored??

I usually travel from A-B never took the X-Y route!!
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

I couldn't tell you the last time I called a traffic light anything other than 'signal' (coupled with straight / left / right / U-turn).
the Mrs got very confused on a driving test when the examiner instructed her to signal straight. think she was looking for the straight ahead indicator.
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
the Mrs got very confused on a driving test when the examiner instructed her to signal straight. think she was looking for the straight ahead indicator.

My Mrs regularly asks me "is ok?" or "it's ok?" like I'm a 5yr old kid she just put a swimming cap on.
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

I'll be reaching the office in the second half.
I met with an accident.
Revert on the same.
Same same.
Prepone.
Kindly.
Needful.
Plz.
I'm round the backside.
Do one thing.
Suggest me.
Cabin (no, it's an office).
Hello? Hello? Hello? (when someone's calling me).
No problem.
Thrice.
I've got my down (I'm menstruating).
You're from the UK? Is that in London?
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

My Mrs regularly asks me "is ok?" or "it's ok?" like I'm a 5yr old kid she just put a swimming cap on.
I've caught myself talking to me husband like that.

"We need do this, otherwise big problem"
Old May 23rd 2017, 8:31 am
Account Closed

Sorry he's currently out of station. (Not at desk).
Old May 23rd 2017, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Sorry he's currently out of station. (Not at desk).
"Not in his seat"
Old May 23rd 2017, 8:59 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1
"Not in his seat"
Isn't it usually not "on his seat" or "in his cabin".

Anyway, I realise a lot of these sound odd but many are not grammatically or syntactically incorrect (hence it's the "avail something" one that drives me nuts; oh and "upgradation").

Some of the phrases probably reflect English terms that were in common use at the time that the India civil service was set up or indeed became independent. Needful is a clear example of this. Usage has evolved separately subsequently, especially as English is a second language for most of the sub-continent population and so has become heavily "functionalised". American English retains some relics of 18th century UK usage like Fall and Eggplant which in England were supplanted by the French terms Autumn and Aubergine (I believe Afrikaans has a similar relationship to Dutch). Perhaps in the 1930s people were on their seats in their cabins in Surbiton and Dudley also?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.