Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai to Fujairah by car - best route?

Dubai to Fujairah by car - best route?

Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai to Fujairah by car - best route?

I keep hearing/reading about a new road that opened a year or so ago but I have no idea which road that is; nor where to pick it up at the Dubai end. Anyone driven there lately? How long should I allow for the journey?

TIA.

[It's the Al Aqah Beach Rotana I'm heading for]

Last edited by The Dean; Jan 7th 2013 at 8:54 am. Reason: .
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:38 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai to Fujairah by car - best route?

Originally Posted by The Dean
I keep hearing/reading about a new road that opened a year or so ago but I have no idea which road that is; nor where to pick it up at the Dubai end. Anyone driven there lately? How long should I allow for the journey?

TIA.

[It's the Al Aqah Beach Rotana I'm heading for]
2:30-3 hours I think depending on where you are in Dubai.

Take either Umm Sequim or the 66 to the 611 and then head towards Sharjah. Then take the 88 and it'll take you all the way to Fujairah.

Here's a map from the Umm Sequim junction with the 611.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=%...via=1,2,3&z=11

Last edited by auzdafluff; Jan 7th 2013 at 9:42 am. Reason: Typo...
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
2:30-3 hours I think depending on where you are in Dubai.

Take either Umm Sequim or the 66 to the 611 and then head towards Sharjah. Then take the 88 and it'll take you all the way to Fujairah.

Here's a map from the Umm Sequim junction with the 611.
Fantastic - thanks. Didn't even know that route was possible..........
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:29 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

That map has you going to Masafi and then north, but has anyone ever timed the trip if you turn onto the E18 north just after Dhaid and then take the E87 east?

We haven't been to Fujairah for a while, but the last few times we went we took the Emirates Road to just south of RAK and then used the truck road to cut across east to join up with the E87. Seemed to be quicker than the old-school Dhaid/Masafi route.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eeyore
That map has you going to Masafi and then north, but has anyone ever timed the trip if you turn onto the E18 north just after Dhaid and then take the E87 east?

We haven't been to Fujairah for a while, but the last few times we went we took the Emirates Road to just south of RAK and then used the truck road to cut across east to join up with the E87. Seemed to be quicker than the old-school Dhaid/Masafi route.
I'll happily plump for the route that is the least mountainous..........
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:51 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

In that case I think you want to go the E87 route. It cuts straight through the mountains and IIRC it's a proper motorway for much of its length, not a single carriageway like the road from Masafi. It meets the Masafi road by the cement works.

If they built a direct link road from the E611 to the E87, you could get from Dubai to Dibba in probably under 90 minutes.

Last edited by Eeyore; Jan 7th 2013 at 11:54 am.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:19 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
I'll happily plump for the route that is the least mountainous..........
Surely a journey through the mountains is a big part of the pleasure of going to Fujairah?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Surely a journey through the mountains is a big part of the pleasure of going to Fujairah?
What she said.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

It normally takes me 1hr 45mins using the old route via Dhaid. The new route is picturesque, slightly quicker but lacks service stations. You join it off the Dubai Bypass 611 following the signs for the Eastern Region. Very easy to take the new road home from Fujeirah as the signage is bold and clear.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:38 pm