Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai Eye journalist killed

Dubai Eye journalist killed

Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Eye journalist killed

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
I was trying to actually remember and acknowledge the person. I didn't know her personally but she made an impression through her broadcasting beyond reading the poorly scripted radio news. There was certainly nothing disrespectful intended and I struggle to see how it could be inferred. She seemed lively and funny and clever and she very much had a "schtick" (a word that your comment suggests you don't actually understand) in her joking about. Obviously you weren't listening to the same programmes that I was (hence also your comment about me mixing her up with Brandy). If you had been I would hope my comment would have struck a chord and made you smile, which is, I think, the nicest way to remember anyone.

And frankly "a simple RIP" seems like a meaningless token and not any kind of tribute at all. If you want to query weirdness of tributes, your morbid avatars would seem a far more logical target.
My avatars are simply a theme - not morbid. I get some very interesting reactions to them.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who hadn't got a clue what you were talking about - I listen to the Business Breakfast every day (admittedly only for about 20 minutes or so in the car) and did not recognise the 'farm-girl' or 'tomboy' you described. That may have been because, as I said, she was only rarely a contributor to that show. I accept though that you were not trying to insult her memory............ let's move on.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:52 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
My avatars are simply a theme - not morbid. I get some very interesting reactions to them.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who hadn't got a clue what you were talking about - I listen to the Business Breakfast every day (admittedly only for about 20 minutes or so in the car) and did not recognise the 'farm-girl' or 'tomboy' you described. That may have been because, as I said, she was only rarely a contributor to that show. I accept though that you were not trying to insult her memory............ let's move on.
Morbidity is in the eye of the beholder I would say.

And tomboy farm-girl were words Rebecca herself used, hence my choice. She had been fairly regularly reading the news on BB in recent months and invariably would get into an exchange of some sort with Malcolm, perhaps not at the time of day you were listening (I end up hearing it often for a couple of hours each day). That was primarily how I heard her.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:16 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Somebody, sadly, died of misadventure. You didn't know her personally.

Life, however, goes on.

Some of us did know her. I am not the least offended by Miss Anne Thrope's comments as they are very human. I very much doubt Bex would have been offended either, as she had a good sense of humour.

In the last few months she had made quite a few contributions to the Business Breakfast and had just started being a very hands on contributor to Richard Dean's evening business show. She has also stood in for other presenters when they have been on holiday, so she did far more than read the news.

Life does go on, but for those wanting to be respectful to someone who has just died, who was known to many, making comments about Diane and gangbangs is really not the way to go.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:17 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Some of us did know her. I am not the least offended by Miss Anne Thrope's comments as they are very human. I very much doubt Bex would have been offended either, as she had a good sense of humour.

In the last few months she had made quite a few contributions to the Business Breakfast and had just started being a very hands on contributor to Richard Dean's evening business show. She has also stood in for other presenters when they have been on holiday, so she did far more than read the news.

Life does go on, but for those wanting to be respectful to someone who has just died, who was known to many, making comments about Diane and gangbangs is really not the way to go.
What actually happened?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
What actually happened?
Boat accident. Two Dubai Eye staff were in a press trip in The Seychelles. Rebecca Davidson died. Lucy Taylor was injured but is okay.

Last edited by Meow; Feb 11th 2013 at 5:23 am.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:21 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Boat accident. Three Dubai Eye staff were in a press trip in The Seychelles. Two of them, Rebecca and Pooja died. Lucy Taylor was injured but is okay.
First I heard of another death - that seems to have been omitted from most of the reporting...
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:23 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Boat accident. Three Dubai Eye staff were in a press trip in The Seychelles. Two of them, Rebecca and Pooja died. Lucy Taylor was injured but is okay.
Yea.I know it was a boating accident, but anyone have any info on what actually happened.."Boating accident" could mean anything.

Did the boat capsize, crash, horseplay, catch fire, get attacked by Jaw's ...

Very sad regardless
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:24 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
First I heard of another death - that seems to have been omitted from most of the reporting...
Post corrected. I didn't know the other woman, but she has just died of cancer so the station is remembering her death too.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:24 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by commander
Yea.I know it was a boating accident, but anyone have any info on what actually happened.."Boating accident" could mean anything.

Did the boat capsize, crash, horseplay, catch fire, get attacked by Jaw's ...

Very sad regardless
A collision is all I know.