British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   In Dubai, everybody is asking the BIG question...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-everybody-asking-big-question-711442/)

The Dean Mar 30th 2011 12:59 pm

In Dubai, everybody is asking the BIG question......

........ what has happened to the parking meters? :confused:

It can't be coincidence - today I found my FIFTH meter in succession (over the course of the last 2-3 days) which was 'out of order' (or at least the coins just drop straight through and come out again at the bottom).

Can't be just me... can it?

For a moment I was stupidly thinking the RTA had programmed them not to accept coins so that they can issue more penalty notices to motorists, but then I realised that would be dishonest, so that can't be the reason. :sneaky:

lionheart Mar 30th 2011 1:48 pm

Re: In Dubai, everybody is asking the BIG question......

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9274115)

It can't be coincidence - today I found my FIFTH meter in succession (over the course of the last 2-3 days) which was 'out of order' (or at least the coins just drop straight through and come out again at the bottom).

For a moment I was stupidly thinking the RTA had programmed them not to accept coins so that they can issue more penalty notices to motorists, but then I realised that would be dishonest, so that can't be the reason. :sneaky:

Just get yourself a Nol card.

The Dean Mar 30th 2011 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9274214)
Just get yourself a Nol card.

I've got one.................. I can use it for parking?????????

Jim Smith Mar 30th 2011 3:23 pm

[QUOTE=The Dean;9274115]........ what has happened to the parking meters? :confused:

Been p'd off with coins dropping thru for some time now. Maybe the coin weight/size is inconsistent, or the machines need maintenance and perhaps they have sacked most of their staff to save money??!!!

Thydney Mar 30th 2011 3:28 pm

[QUOTE=Jim Smith;9274384]

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9274115)

Been p'd off with coins dropping thru for some time now. Maybe the coin weight/size is inconsistent, or the machines need maintenance and perhaps they have sacked most of their staff to save money??!!!

Maybe it's the first rumblings of the revolution

lionheart Mar 30th 2011 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9274289)
I've got one.................. I can use it for parking?????????

Try inserting it in the card slot and follow the instructions.:blink:

The Dean Mar 30th 2011 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9274400)
Try inserting it in the card slot and follow the instructions.:blink:

There's a card slot????????????

Autonomy Mar 30th 2011 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9275172)
There's a card slot????????????

said the banker to the.....

Sandboy Mar 31st 2011 5:01 am

use your mobile - then you get a handy reminder when it's about to expire

Bahtatboy Mar 31st 2011 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 9275915)

There's a mobile slot?????????

K8-notlate Mar 31st 2011 12:07 pm

My 'local' friend works at the RTA - basically, they can't be *rsed to collect the coins from the machines and want people to use nol or mparking. Also, they're turning themselves in to an almost 100% Emirati organisation, which means the job of collecting coins would be beneath them!

lionheart Mar 31st 2011 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by K8-notlate (Post 9276641)
My 'local' friend works at the RTA - basically, they can't be *rsed to collect the coins from the machines and want people to use nol or mparking. Also, they're turning themselves in to an almost 100% Emirati organisation, which means the job of collecting coins would be beneath them!

But the job of issuing parking tickets is not?:confused: As for using your mobile, I believe they charge for the service. It soon adds up, especially if you are a regular parker like myself.

K8-notlate Mar 31st 2011 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9276661)
But the job of issuing parking tickets is not?:confused: As for using your mobile, I believe they charge for the service. It soon adds up, especially if you are a regular parker like myself.

Am also a regular parker - bought an annual card from the RTA - much better value for money

Norm_uk Apr 3rd 2011 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 9275915)

That doesn't always work - I think it's limited to four hours then you have run out with coins or buy one of those pre-paid cards.

N.

Sandboy Apr 3rd 2011 8:32 am

That doesn't always work - I think it's limited to four hours then you have run out with coins or buy one of those pre-paid cards.

N.
depends on the location, some are limited to 4 others you can keep extending

handy if you've abandoned it somewhere and not at your best first thing the next morning :o