British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dubai english (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-english-735904/)

kittycat1 Oct 17th 2011 6:58 am

Dubai english

I have decided I can no longer speak english (think we all know I can't type it). Is it normal to start speaking funny english - ie been working with too many other nationalities for too long and have started saying things like 'I like that too much'.

Alexa Oct 17th 2011 8:29 am

Re: Dubai english

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9678928)
I have decided I can no longer speak english (think we all know I can't type it). Is it normal to start speaking funny english - ie been working with too many other nationalities for too long and have started saying things like 'I like that too much'.

Oh you mean like "Yalla, now I'm going"?
Yes....it seems to happen to the best of us..."khalas, what to do yani "????:eek:

mentalist Oct 17th 2011 10:23 am

And what is your good name?

fezzer Oct 17th 2011 11:47 am

Can we "pre-pone" that meeting?

:rofl:

kittycat1 Oct 17th 2011 11:50 am

fezzer- absolutely- is that actualy a word? or is it made up?

also doing the needful- not that I have used that but I have used the word prepone...

Bahtatboy Oct 17th 2011 11:52 am

"You are crossing the speed limit."

"Prices starting from AED 1,000."

My ****ing language skills have ****ing diminished considerably since I've been ****ing here. Its not that I have access to a small ****ing vocabulary, its just that I try to say the same ****ing thing in the same number of ****ing words but they're interspersed with ****ing ****ing.

kittycat1 Oct 17th 2011 11:54 am

are you ok Bahtatboy?

Morecambe Mindy Oct 17th 2011 11:59 am

Its too much hot

I have given up!

Husband had someone at work complaining that their foot fingers were pained the other day! Toes mate, TOES!

Bahtatboy Oct 17th 2011 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9679291)
are you ok Bahtatboy?

No, but thanks for your concern. Not only has my canoe drifted into a railway tunnel flooded with shit and I've lost my oars, there are lights at both ends of the tunnel and they definitely both are express trains headed inwards.

kittycat1 Oct 17th 2011 12:05 pm

:rofl: @ mindy- I like that foot fingers :D

Bahtatboy- hug xxx

lullabelle Oct 17th 2011 12:20 pm

My kids said to me the other day "you swear a lot more here mummy. And you swear ALL THE TIME in the car" I do. I find I'm channelling Malcolm Tucker most days. And this is me trying not to swear AT ALL in front of them.

My daughter has developed a weird accent. She sounds like she is perhaps Lebanese... Her class is really international and her best friend is British but perhaps it's because she fancies Lebanese Ramzi. It's very weird having your six year old respond to "do you want some apple juice?" with Arabic accented " I doooon like."

My husband is hilarious - he's terribly polite and posh sounding and will ahem, and haw, and rattle out entire paragraphs to shopkeepers etc. They will then look completely blankly at him until I or one of the kids steps in and say "2 ticket, four pm."

Pidgin English is the way. Unless you want a smoke alarm and then nothing will work.

Sandboy Oct 17th 2011 12:52 pm

please do the needful

and best of all

this is for your information and necessary action
- which we now all abbreviate to TIFYIANA

Millhouse Oct 17th 2011 12:56 pm

open the lights

LaLaLayla Oct 17th 2011 1:07 pm

Make it hot.
Beauty saloon / salon car.
Why like this?
Exit on the down.

Mogs Oct 17th 2011 1:10 pm

you want drop front side or back side ? (taxi drivers)