British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dubai crackdown on 'villa sharers' (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-crackdown-villa-sharers-622918/)

The Dean Jul 30th 2009 7:15 am

Dubai crackdown on 'villa sharers'

Government gets tough............

http://business2.maktoob.com/2009000...rs/Article.htm

........ but Ordinary Man fights back.........

http://business2.maktoob.com/2009000...le/Article.htm

AnotherWorld Jul 31st 2009 6:13 am

Re: Dubai crackdown on 'villa sharers'

Go the rebellion!

Dubai to Dibba Daily Aug 2nd 2009 1:44 pm

Does any body know what the actual laws are?

Obviously it being the UAE it makes little sense and is hazy as hell but anyone?

I share a villa in Mirdif with some other Western proffesionals. We are putting no additional load on the services (sewage / elec etc), in fact we currently have a spare room. There are 4 of us in a 4 bed villa (+ add maids room).
Surely they must see sense sometime as the majority of western proffesionals over here will be sharing and if they are forced to get an individual gaff then many with surely just pack up and head somewhere else. And these buildings / bridges etc etc won't design / build themselves.

admon Aug 2nd 2009 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai to Dibba Daily (Post 7805969)
Does any body know what the actual laws are?

Obviously it being the UAE it makes little sense and is hazy as hell but anyone?

I share a villa in Mirdif with some other Western proffesionals. We are putting no additional load on the services (sewage / elec etc), in fact we currently have a spare room. There are 4 of us in a 4 bed villa (+ add maids room).
Surely they must see sense sometime as the majority of western proffesionals over here will be sharing and if they are forced to get an individual gaff then many with surely just pack up and head somewhere else. And these buildings / bridges etc etc won't design / build themselves.

the theory is if you want to share, get an apartment. Villas are for single families only.

Monsoonhunter Aug 2nd 2009 8:12 pm

Dear admon,

so I should (being bachelor), when I hopefully arrive soon in Dubai, exlusively look out for an apartment, to avoid potential troubles later? But I hope that I can rent a 2 BHK without those troubles?

(A pity is that Mirdiff, where I intend to focus my search for accomodation, has rather limited options for flats (at least according to recent positings in Dubizzle and GNads4U)) :(

Greetings
Monsoonhunter

Euc- Aug 2nd 2009 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7806089)
the theory is if you want to share, get an apartment. Villas are for single families only.

Ridiculous really, as you can better share a 4bed villa with 4 people rather than a flat, but maybe that's just my logic.

Norm_uk Aug 3rd 2009 5:24 am

This is one of the only places in the world where they seem to care more about who you are renting their property with than if you pay on time, keep the place clean and tidy and don't make any noise.

N.

Dubai to Dibba Daily Aug 3rd 2009 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7807349)
This is one of the only places in the world where they seem to care more about who you are renting their property with than if you pay on time, keep the place clean and tidy and don't make any noise.

N.

I know, nuts! We are pretty quiet anyway and I try to be reasonable with the times I go out on my motorbike (its quite loud) so fingers crossed we will be ok. It is a shame also as I have basement the size of the whole villa and I reakon I could get 40 odd bunk beds down there so at 500 a pop a month thats 40k!

Jim Smith Aug 3rd 2009 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Dubai to Dibba Daily (Post 7807370)
I know, nuts! We are pretty quiet anyway and I try to be reasonable with the times I go out on my motorbike (its quite loud) so fingers crossed we will be ok. It is a shame also as I have basement the size of the whole villa and I reakon I could get 40 odd bunk beds down there so at 500 a pop a month thats 40k!

???

For 40K a month you would net to "Hot-bed" 'em!!!

Dubai to Dibba Daily Aug 3rd 2009 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 7807455)
???

For 40K a month you would net to "Hot-bed" 'em!!!

I was meaning 1 bunk bed as in two actual beds..... not sure if 1 bunk bed is the 2 beds together or .....

I like the suggestion tho. I could have a rotation system. No bed empty for more than 5 mins. Thats 960K a year! Awesome!

commander Aug 3rd 2009 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Dubai to Dibba Daily (Post 7807474)
I was meaning 1 bunk bed as in two actual beds..... not sure if 1 bunk bed is the 2 beds together or .....

I like the suggestion tho. I could have a rotation system. No bed empty for more than 5 mins. Thats 960K a year! Awesome!

you must provide 1 bog or at least a hole in the ground also

Dubai to Dibba Daily Aug 3rd 2009 8:08 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7807578)
you must provide 1 bog or at least a hole in the ground also

Got one down there and even a shower! There is also a seperate maids room down there so the Top Dog could have that, in fact Top Dog's. You could prob get another 5-6 bunks in there!