Dubai covers up..

Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai covers up..

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

A friend of a friend works here and was out the front of her works building (somewhere close to Wafi) having a smoke. She was wearing a vest style top, so spaggetti style straps, so nothing racey or in your face but her arms and neckline were uncovered. She was then approached by a policeman and has been slapped with a fine for being dressed inappropriately- to the sum of 3500dhm.

I have also heard this is due to Abu Dhabi having more control over Dubai thanks to their financial support and this is likely to become common practice. So I was wondering if anyone else had experienced or knows of someone who has also been slapped with fines for this type of thing or whether my friends friend just had poor luck? And whether it should be a conscious effort to cover up a little more, not that I go around flaunting it but occassionally may wear a top that isnt a polo neck with full length sleeves?

Kittycat
Interesting comment, I was only thinking the other day that there are more people wandering around Abu Dhabi in strapless or shoe string tops and I even saw someone crossing the Corniche Road in a bikini
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 4:30 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

I too have heard that it is AbDabs way of stamping their control..

But it doesnt actually help the UAE, and AbDab especially, if they want a return on their investment, other than the worlds largest phallic symbol named after them..

Interestingly, Arabian Business are reporting that they have now ordered a ban on alcohol used in recipes.

Hmmm, methinks, somewhere, there are some fundies starting to get their point across....
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 4:49 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

It may also be that they are just not being as tolerant as they need to be. I know it does not happen now but the police used to be a lot more tolerant to say drinking and the construction companies such as Costain had a drinking den in J1 and the police were fine with that. But all of the time this was against the rules as was immodest dress. If you contrast with the behaviour of the police in KSA / Kuwait then social control in Dubai is well relaxed.

If ladies wish to have greater freedom in what they wear in public in UAE then how does that reconcile with Europe taking a stand against women wearing Bhurkas there?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
Interesting comment, I was only thinking the other day that there are more people wandering around Abu Dhabi in strapless or shoe string tops and I even saw someone crossing the Corniche Road in a bikini
I have noticed this in Abu Dhabi too. To be honest, I actually find it a bit unacceptable as men think that they can join in too and I don't want to see a gut lord marching across the crossing.

I think the AD influence in Dubai is nonsense to be honest. My understanding is that quite a lot of the money has been coming from Saudi which might explain it.

Or maybe, it's just the standard thing... when it all goes tits up people turn to religion for answers and this is what you are seeing in Dubai.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

Or maybe, it's just the standard thing... when it all goes tits up people turn to religion for answers and this is what you are seeing in Dubai.
is probably the right answer
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

There are plenty of countries in the world where you need to cover up who have successful tourist industries... I'm always bemused as to why Dubai seems to be singled out as unique in this regard. I'm also slightly bemused as to why it's an issue? If I want to go out in a low cut top I wear a pashmina until I'm in the bar/club I'm going to. If I'm going to mall, I don't find it a hardship to put my baps away (challenging though this is given their size!)... if this basic respect was shown then this need for enforcing a law would not exist. It never needed to be a big deal until expats made it one. In our own homes/bars/clubs we can pretty much wear what we want, in public areas (parks/malls/the street) - put the "girls" away and cover your shoulders and knees... really - what's the problem? If we are at the point where we feel wearing spaghetti straps is a fundamental human right then I think perhaps we need to look a little closer at real human rights hardships and get a grip.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 5:44 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen
There are plenty of countries in the world where you need to cover up who have successful tourist industries... I'm always bemused as to why Dubai seems to be singled out as unique in this regard. I'm also slightly bemused as to why it's an issue? If I want to go out in a low cut top I wear a pashmina until I'm in the bar/club I'm going to. If I'm going to mall, I don't find it a hardship to put my baps away (challenging though this is given their size!)... if this basic respect was shown then this need for enforcing a law would not exist. It never needed to be a big deal until expats made it one. In our own homes/bars/clubs we can pretty much wear what we want, in public areas (parks/malls/the street) - put the "girls" away and cover your shoulders and knees... really - what's the problem? If we are at the point where we feel wearing spaghetti straps is a fundamental human right then I think perhaps we need to look a little closer at real human rights hardships and get a grip.
you took the words right out of my mouth there...
there is a place and a time for certain clothes...I am sure no one is going to fine you when you wear beach wear on the beach or around the pool...or when you wear a strappy dress in a bar or a club...but why oh why is it that women feel the need to go to Spinneys or the mall in those type of clothes is beyond me...does it really feel comfortable to be bending over the frozen foods section in a miniskirt...
The rules have always been the same here, and because most people stuck to them, there was never any need to go around giving fines...but over the past few years more and more people seem to think it's ok to walk around half dressed, so of course they are now doing something about it.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:14 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be that AD is trying to influence Dubai to become stricter while AD stays relaxed? Never heard of any problem here (in AD), and have seen a good many floozies (unreformed) with wares on display (and I tend to notice these things) wandering around untroubled by the local constabulary (while at the same time giving taxi drivers, labourers, the massed sans-coulotte et al a nice treat).

And please, MH, I'm trying to work--conjouring up visions of pretty much anyone bending over the frozen fish freezer in a mini-skirt isn't called for...
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:19 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
is probably the right answer
It is. People start migrating to extremes during times of hardship...for answers and for someone to blame. In the West we see this manifested in increased support for far right parties.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
It is. People start migrating to extremes during times of hardship...for answers and for someone to blame. In the West we see this manifested in increased support for far right parties.
spot on. When people are busy making money they worry about these things. When the money tree stops growing, they get bored and cause all sorts of problems.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:30 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And please, MH, I'm trying to work--conjouring up visions of pretty much anyone bending over the frozen fish freezer in a mini-skirt isn't called for...
here she is putting the groceries away...now get back to work

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:35 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari

http://thumb15.shutterstock.com.edge...en-3176976.jpg
I think I recognise her...
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like 98% of expat women in Abu Dhabi to me.....
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fantastic! I'd love a good ol-go on that!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:45 am
Hit 16's

Actually I'm puzzled. Shutterstock is a photo library for media professionals; I'm really struggling to imagine what possible media use this photo could have. Certainly not for promoting the shoes or the small red parachute. Certainly not for Magnet Kitchens. I suppose it might demonstrate the stength of the flooring--500 lbs/sqin? Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.