British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dubai covers up.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-covers-up-660417/)

kittycat1 Mar 21st 2010 2:01 pm

Dubai covers up..

Hi all,

A friend of a friend works here and was out the front of her works building (somewhere close to Wafi) having a smoke. She was wearing a vest style top, so spaggetti style straps, so nothing racey or in your face but her arms and neckline were uncovered. She was then approached by a policeman and has been slapped with a fine for being dressed inappropriately- to the sum of 3500dhm.

I have also heard this is due to Abu Dhabi having more control over Dubai thanks to their financial support and this is likely to become common practice. So I was wondering if anyone else had experienced or knows of someone who has also been slapped with fines for this type of thing or whether my friends friend just had poor luck? And whether it should be a conscious effort to cover up a little more, not that I go around flaunting it but occassionally may wear a top that isnt a polo neck with full length sleeves?

Kittycat

Meow Mar 21st 2010 2:06 pm

Re: Dubai covers up..

Was this a pay now fine or a piece of paper to be paid later? If the former, sounds VERY dodgy to me.

-

kittycat1 Mar 21st 2010 2:09 pm

No it was a proper fine, her sponsor also had to send a letter of apology to the municipality (possibly dodgy spelling)!

Hello.Kitty Mar 21st 2010 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8436512)
No it was a proper fine, her sponsor also had to send a letter of apology to the municipality (possibly dodgy spelling)!

I think the unfortunate thing is that spaghetti straps on a vest top are considered to show a bit more than [rolls eyes] "appropriate".

On the entrance doors to the malls, there are signs showing a short-sleeved t-shirt with something along the lines of "dress modestly". I kind of use this as my guide when out and about - plunging necklines maybe, but shoulders and armpits covered. Then again, I have a thing about armpits on show.

The Dean Mar 21st 2010 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8436498)
Hi all,

A friend of a friend works here and was out the front of her works building (somewhere close to Wafi) having a smoke. She was wearing a vest style top, so spaggetti style straps, so nothing racey or in your face but her arms and neckline were uncovered. She was then approached by a policeman and has been slapped with a fine for being dressed inappropriately- to the sum of 3500dhm.

I have also heard this is due to Abu Dhabi having more control over Dubai thanks to their financial support and this is likely to become common practice. So I was wondering if anyone else had experienced or knows of someone who has also been slapped with fines for this type of thing or whether my friends friend just had poor luck? And whether it should be a conscious effort to cover up a little more, not that I go around flaunting it but occassionally may wear a top that isnt a polo neck with full length sleeves?

Kittycat

As I have been saying for some time, Dubai is becoming more Islamic.

But the stupidity is - just as Dubai needs to attract tourists in ever increasing numbers simply to survive, they are doing their utmost to scare Western tourists away.

Dubai is bankrupt, and they are discouraging those who could rescue it.

It's time for a "Boycott Dubai" campaign on Facebook or something (there may already be one?). The Maktoums have got to learn that you can't be religious nutters and still hope to attract Western tourists.

Bonny Boy Mar 21st 2010 2:31 pm

I'm sure there is a huge debate underway between the fundies and the progressives.

The fundies will be saying: Look where the 'good' times got us. It is Allah's judgement and we need to return to more traditional values. Right now, this argument holds sway.

So I agree with the Dean, the pendulum is swinging in Dubai.

I'm not sure they are that bothered about tourists to be honest.

MataHari Mar 21st 2010 2:37 pm

I've never worn a spagetti strap type top in public during daytime, just cause I think it's too revealing. It's really not any cooler to wear than a normal tshirt, plus bra straps showing isn't a good look either. It's just one of those things that is 'not done' without there being an actual rule about it. It's a known fact that you are supposed to dress 'modestly' here and the fact that a lot of women don't do that, doesn't mean it's accepted or the norm.
I even put a cardigan on when I drop my kids off somewhere, just in case I have a car accident, lol...

Meow Mar 21st 2010 2:37 pm

How can Dubai not be bothered about tourists? Surely tourists bring in a lot of income and who else is going to fill all the hotels & buy all the apartments?

-

Meow Mar 21st 2010 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8436538)
I've never worn a spagetti strap type top in public during daytime, just cause I think it's too revealing. It's really not any cooler to wear than a normal tshirt, plus bra straps showing isn't a good look either. It's just one of those things that is 'not done' without there being an actual rule about it. It's a known fact that you are supposed to dress 'modestly' here and the fact that a lot of women don't do that, doesn't mean it's accepted or the norm.
I even put a cardigan on when I drop my kids off somewhere, just in case I have a car accident, lol...

I always think of those kind of tops as beach or garden wear, not for going out in public, no matter where I am

-

The Dean Mar 21st 2010 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8436539)
How can Dubai not be bothered about tourists? Surely tourists bring in a lot of income and who else is going to fill all the hotels & buy all the apartments?

-

Exactly.

Idiots.

Bonny Boy Mar 21st 2010 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8436539)

-

You're thinking logically.......

Blue Cat Mar 21st 2010 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8436538)

keep a pashmina in the car ;)

Victor Meldrew Mar 21st 2010 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8436542)
I always think of those kind of tops as beach or garden wear, not for going out in public, no matter where I am

-

Agreed.

Victor Meldrew Mar 21st 2010 3:40 pm

Though, don't get me wrong. I don't tend to wear spaghetti straps - they chafe!

Hello.Kitty Mar 21st 2010 4:04 pm

I was talking to a random Egyptian woman in the abaya aisle at Geant and she was saying that she only wears an abaya so that she doesn't need to worry about what she's wearing underneath. She apparently keeps it by the door and will chuck in on when she goes to pick up the kids from school.

Always an option... ;)