Dubai covers up..

Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:59 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai covers up..

Originally Posted by MataHari
tell me about it...some of the guys on here are vile...
Says the lady who posted pics of a carved-up girl on a beach...
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
oh dear, oh dear... *shakes head*

MM, xx
Don't worry. I am sure it's the TROLL again.
No western woman with a bit selfresprect would consider an abaya as liberation, so I guess it's the usual attempt of riling people up
Old Sep 29th 2010, 7:09 pm
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Back in early August, My family and I were staying in Nottingham (my home town and close to the in-laws), in transit between Libya and UAE.
Since when has Nottingham between a transit point between Libya and the UAE?!!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:28 am
Banned

Pipino Cuevas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dilmun
There's no way, he would never troll MH- Too much respect there.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:51 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pipino Cuevas
There's no way, he would never troll MH- Too much respect there.
Waahaaay, and he's back and no pulling punches either.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:42 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

A friend of a friend works here and was out the front of her works building (somewhere close to Wafi) having a smoke. She was wearing a vest style top, so spaggetti style straps, so nothing racey or in your face but her arms and neckline were uncovered. She was then approached by a policeman and has been slapped with a fine for being dressed inappropriately- to the sum of 3500dhm.

I have also heard this is due to Abu Dhabi having more control over Dubai thanks to their financial support and this is likely to become common practice. So I was wondering if anyone else had experienced or knows of someone who has also been slapped with fines for this type of thing or whether my friends friend just had poor luck? And whether it should be a conscious effort to cover up a little more, not that I go around flaunting it but occassionally may wear a top that isnt a polo neck with full length sleeves?

Kittycat
I've never heard of this happening in Abu Dhabi.

Something peopel quickly forget here is that this is an Islamic dictatorship - for a long time these rules have been in place and enforced. Now the crash happened people here need someone to blame and so they are stepping up enforcement of their interpretation of Sharia more and more.

It's got little to do with Abu Dhabi and more to do with the Arab media and views on expatriates in general. It also has a lot to do with the fact that most Western expats seem to think they are in the Costa Del Sol and not in a middle eastern desert.

I was in Dubai courts around eight years ago getting my wedding cert attested or something like that and saw a British lady walk in wearing high leg shorts, flip flops and a strappy top. She was immediately ignored by the hoards of officials who were wearing local dress or suits. After a while a local man informed her that she wasn't going to get whatever she came in for if she couldn't show some respect to the fact she was in a court and dress accordingly. He even asked her if she would dress that way to go to a court or government building in the UK to which she sheepishly replied no. This was one of the few times I agreed with what a local said and felt ashamed one of my own had so few social graces they didn't know the difference between a court and a beach.

Sadly it's endemic of most western expats here to not have anything close to a standard of dress. How many times have I seen the look of genuine shock on the faces of chavs who are refused entry to five star bars and restaurants because they are in shorts and flip flops...gosh we are such a classy nation these days aren't we?

N.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I've never heard of this happening in Abu Dhabi.

Something peopel quickly forget here is that this is an Islamic dictatorship - for a long time these rules have been in place and enforced. Now the crash happened people here need someone to blame and so they are stepping up enforcement of their interpretation of Sharia more and more.

It's got little to do with Abu Dhabi and more to do with the Arab media and views on expatriates in general. It also has a lot to do with the fact that most Western expats seem to think they are in the Costa Del Sol and not in a middle eastern desert.

I was in Dubai courts around eight years ago getting my wedding cert attested or something like that and saw a British lady walk in wearing high leg shorts, flip flops and a strappy top. She was immediately ignored by the hoards of officials who were wearing local dress or suits. After a while a local man informed her that she wasn't going to get whatever she came in for if she couldn't show some respect to the fact she was in a court and dress accordingly. He even asked her if she would dress that way to go to a court or government building in the UK to which she sheepishly replied no. This was one of the few times I agreed with what a local said and felt ashamed one of my own had so few social graces they didn't know the difference between a court and a beach.

Sadly it's endemic of most western expats here to not have anything close to a standard of dress. How many times have I seen the look of genuine shock on the faces of chavs who are refused entry to five star bars and restaurants because they are in shorts and flip flops...gosh we are such a classy nation these days aren't we?

N.
Spot on. For what it's worth, I'd say the standard of dress and respect levels are lower in Dubai than Abu Dhabi.

We have seen some quite frankly awful sights since moving up north (although it did start to get worse in AD as people migrated to where the jobs where).

I don't want to see what some of these chavs had for lunch and I can only imagine that the locals must be disgusted by it.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
Since when has Nottingham between a transit point between Libya and the UAE?!!
Since my contract in Libya finished and the next contract in the UAE hadn't been formalized. Hence nowhere to go apart from back to my roots
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:00 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Since my contract in Libya finished and the next contract in the UAE hadn't been formalized. Hence nowhere to go apart from back to my roots
Am I the only one who had a titter at the use of the word 'Roots'..??? The life and times of Kunta Kinte....
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:08 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Am I the only one who had a titter at the use of the word 'Roots'..??? The life and times of Kunta Kinte....
In OZ that word has a totally different meaning
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:12 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
In OZ that word has a totally different meaning
Its developed the same meaning in other places, Mac!!!!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:08 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Punta Negra
He's been unfairly banned once again. This is not the troll, this is the trolls lawyer. I'm currently negotiating to get him back on here as a Premium Member with full posting privilages. Legally and logisticly it would be hard if not impossible to bann a premium dues paying member of the BritishExpats community, so i'm advising him to take that route. My client is currently wintering in an undesclosed location in Mexico- In fact i'm sitting next to him as we speak. He'd like to address the board under my sign on..here he is

Hi everybody!

That was him, he's doing well and looks foward to his return. Right now he's eating an egg mcmuffin and orange juice. We are at the airport waiting on a flight to Vegas. He promises to never say anything nice about Mata Hari again, and to pretend that she's just another beautiful woman like so many others here.

Hold on he wants to say something else, here he is

I'll see you guys later!

That was him. He's reading the sports section of the paper now- now he's looking around at the other passengers..Now he's on the phone, again.

He wants to say one more thing

Mata Hari, I LOVE YOU!!

Ah..I advised him not to do that..

Now he's complaining about his seat assignment

I goota go

On a more on-topic note - it's not just the very obvious tourists that seem to have forgotten how to dress. I was in Marina Walk around lunchtime and a young woman walked past, accompanied by a young man and, well, you know, if she wasn't a cheap prossie, I don't know what she was. Hotpants, kinky clubby shoes and a strappy top. I don't have a huge problem with any of that (apart from knowing that I can't wear stilettos), but hey guys, let's have one rule for everyone and a bit of enforcement.

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Sep 30th 2010 at 3:13 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:01 am
Just Joined

libby2010 will become famous soon enoughlibby2010 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dilmun
No western woman with a bit selfresprect would consider an abaya as liberation, so I guess it's the usual attempt of riling people up
i don,t understand this stuff about trools.for me liberation is all about choice .but this is just another sad old first generation feminist who cannot accept other people,s views .
and what is this about MH, dishing it out but can,t take it? repect?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I like.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:55 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Spot on. For what it's worth, I'd say the standard of dress and respect levels are lower in Dubai than Abu Dhabi.

We have seen some quite frankly awful sights since moving up north (although it did start to get worse in AD as people migrated to where the jobs where).

I don't want to see what some of these chavs had for lunch and I can only imagine that the locals must be disgusted by it.
I'd agree after three years in AD and seven in Dubai as a general rule AD dresses better...but it's not by a huge margin.

I'm known for my rants but I honestly feel clothes make the person - I am often ashamed of the reputation Brits have here for things like manners, dress and class. If I'm disgusted as a secular libertarian I can only imagine what the locals must think - I admire them for at least having a cultural standard of dress (I don't admire their actual dress though hehe). We threw our baby out with the bathwater when we liberalised...gone is the mad empire building, racism and sexism but also gone are the nice clothes, forms and conventions.

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.