Old Sep 26th 2010, 5:26 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai covers up..

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Originally Posted by libby2010

can we get back to the cover up topic?

I don't live in dubai-yet.
but on my last visit I bought an abaya and headscarf thing, which to me seem the ultimate in liberation. no matter what I am wearing in the house or around the pool,scruffy or not, just out of bed, hair wet from last swim, it takes 10 seconds to throw on an abaya and be presentable.

not only that, I can move around in total anonymity, no worries about some aquaintance or business partner recognising me and forcing me to be sociable when I don't feel like it.

however I think there seems to be one serious drawback - which I only worked out after talking to people and reading stuff since I got back.

If you look like a muslim you are expected to behave like a muslim and since I don't know the code of conduct that can lead to problems.

for example it seems frowned upon for them to go out on their own.so when i tried to get a taxi back from the souk to the hotel i got abuse from some drivers and it took a while until one was willing to take me.
i felt very uncomfortable !
I also was not allowed into the bar and the nightclub in the hotel with my husband ( although that didnt bother me ), you can just take the abaya off.

I just wonder if anyone else has experience with wearing an abaya - although from your comments it seems you don't much like it.
can't understand why.

I just feel a bit resentful that when i am going to go to dubai on monday and was looking forward to travelling light and not worrying about a fat stomach i might be deprived of this pleasure and have to wear western clothes - and then have to cover up!

any advice will be gratefully received !
Are you sure you went to Dubai and not Saudi??

let me assure you she wasnt in Saudi
Old Sep 26th 2010, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

can we get back to the cover up topic?

I don't live in dubai-yet.
but on my last visit I bought an abaya and headscarf thing, which to me seem the ultimate in liberation. no matter what I am wearing in the house or around the pool,scruffy or not, just out of bed, hair wet from last swim, it takes 10 seconds to throw on an abaya and be presentable.

not only that, I can move around in total anonymity, no worries about some aquaintance or business partner recognising me and forcing me to be sociable when I don't feel like it.

however I think there seems to be one serious drawback - which I only worked out after talking to people and reading stuff since I got back.

If you look like a muslim you are expected to behave like a muslim and since I don't know the code of conduct that can lead to problems.

for example it seems frowned upon for them to go out on their own.so when i tried to get a taxi back from the souk to the hotel i got abuse from some drivers and it took a while until one was willing to take me.
i felt very uncomfortable !
I also was not allowed into the bar and the nightclub in the hotel with my husband ( although that didnt bother me ), you can just take the abaya off.

I just wonder if anyone else has experience with wearing an abaya - although from your comments it seems you don't much like it.
can't understand why.

I just feel a bit resentful that when i am going to go to dubai on monday and was looking forward to travelling light and not worrying about a fat stomach i might be deprived of this pleasure and have to wear western clothes - and then have to cover up!

any advice will be gratefully received !
oh dear, oh dear... *shakes head*

MM, xx
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:39 am
Just Joined

libby2010 will become famous soon enoughlibby2010 will become famous soon enough

Are you sure you went to Dubai and not Saudi?
maybe if i had been in saudi where everyone has to wear the abaya it would have been fine, but it seems true that a western woman in an abaya attracts attention. what a shame. i would have liked to have worn it and i thought i could choose.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:42 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

maybe if i had been in saudi where everyone has to wear the abaya it would have been fine, but it seems true that a western woman in an abaya attracts attention. what a shame. i would have liked to have worn it and i thought i could choose.
you can choose...no one will forbid you to wear one, I personally just cannot understand why you would want to wear one...there's plenty of comfortable Western clothing you can wear...or maybe just change your eating habits or go and work out a bit if you are worried about your figure...
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
you can choose...no one will forbid you to wear one, I personally just cannot understand why you would want to wear one...there's plenty of comfortable Western clothing you can wear...or maybe just change your eating habits or go and work out a bit if you are worried about your figure...
Maybe she likes the idea of walking around starkers covered only by an Abya!?
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:49 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

lets hope we never find out...
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:49 am
Just Joined

libby2010 will become famous soon enoughlibby2010 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MataHari
that's a good idea - never thought of that.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:59 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorta fur coat and no knickers. Having got glimpses of some of the f**k me shoes peeking out from under abayas, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. I think my next visit to the mall is going to be viewed through different eyes.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:00 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Sorta fur coat and no knickers. Having got glimpses of some of the f**k me shoes peeking out from under abayas, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. I think my next visit to the mall is going to be viewed through different eyes.
In the words of Supetramp:

Some girls will and some girls won't
And some you just can't tell
Some girls do and some girls don't
And some it's just as well
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:06 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
As per Jeremy Clarkson? - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...ka-debate.html

Though from recent stomach hairyness posts it would seem that copious amounts of fur are likely to replace the knickers?
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by glynster
Dont worry about your fat stomach its becoming the norm here too
thanks glynster, its nice to get a change from bitchy comments.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 5:19 pm
hmmmm...nice

thanks glynster, its nice to get a change from bitchy comments.
tell me about it...some of the guys on here are vile...
Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

where's that image of the bird in the abaya flashing her tits when you need it

*waiting for someone to oblige*
Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Back in early August, My family and I were staying in Nottingham (my home town and close to the in-laws), in transit between Libya and UAE.

One day, I was in Wilko's on Parliament Street, just joining the queue for the checkout and noticed this girl with all the black sack $hit in the queue behind me. Pushing a brat cart with an olive-skinned child. The mother has a face the colour of alabaster and speaks with the roughest St Anne's accent I've heard.

Now, before you all flame my arse, isn't this better than the girl going into the usual spiral of dope / working on her back / more dope etc?
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:03 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Back in early August, My family and I were staying in Nottingham (my home town and close to the in-laws), in transit between Libya and UAE.

One day, I was in Wilko's on Parliament Street, just joining the queue for the checkout and noticed this girl with all the black sack $hit in the queue behind me. Pushing a brat cart with an olive-skinned child. The mother has a face the colour of alabaster and speaks with the roughest St Anne's accent I've heard.

Now, before you all flame my arse, isn't this better than the girl going into the usual spiral of dope / working on her back / more dope etc?
Did you get a first class return to Nottingham pleaseeeee, tunessssss.

sorry but you lost me with the alabaster colour and St Annes accent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.