British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dubai - the cheque-bouncing capital of the world......... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-cheque-bouncing-capital-world-622330/)

The Dean Jul 27th 2009 9:13 am

Dubai - the cheque-bouncing capital of the world.........

:huh:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6728160.ece

lionheart Jul 27th 2009 11:22 am

Re: Dubai - the cheque-bouncing capital of the world.........

I have lived in Dubai over 3 years and Saudi over 8 years and have never once had to write a cheque, so their statement surprises me but then again, I am Lionheart. :thumbup:

Jeeper Jul 27th 2009 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7787581)
I have lived in Dubai over 3 years and Saudi over 8 years and have never once had to write a cheque, so their statement surprises me but then again, I am Lionheart. :thumbup:

I've written 3 - and everytime the bank declined it for some reason. Signature not 186% correct, date written american style instead of english style, date written english style instead of american style, cheque written when humidity is over 75% etc....
Can't work it out - so have given up.

shiva Jul 27th 2009 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7788152)
I've written 3 - and everytime the bank declined it for some reason. Signature not 186% correct, date written american style instead of english style, date written english style instead of american style, cheque written when humidity is over 75% etc....

yup i've had the signature doesnt match thing a few times, bizzarely though by the time they accept it its usually so far from my own signature that even i dont think its my signature

oktoberon Jul 27th 2009 8:33 pm

Hi Shag

Hmmm.... didn't work for me. I spent a few uncomfortable months at HH hotel in Rashidiya.

Glad to see you're still here

Confucius Jul 28th 2009 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by oktoberon (Post 7788908)
Hi Shag

Hmmm.... didn't work for me. I spent a few uncomfortable months at HH hotel in Rashidiya.

Glad to see you're still here

You alright, Shag???

oktoberon Jul 29th 2009 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7792021)
You alright, Shag???

I'm fine now, almost back to reality (whatever that is)

Dubai to Dibba Daily Jul 29th 2009 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7788152)

Someone was telling me the other day about a mate of theirs who was in the bank and asked to sign something, to which the bank staff replied that his signature didn't match. After 5 goes he was losing it so he asked to see the one they had on the system. It turns out the one they had wasn't even his name let alone his signature. So obviously he informed them of this error and they asked if he wanted you change his signature to which he replied he did. Then they asked him to fill out a form with his new signature on it but then insisted it be signed off at the bottom with 'his' old one.

This place really does crack me up sometimes!

Spugsy Jul 29th 2009 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Dubai to Dibba Daily (Post 7793959)
Someone was telling me the other day about a mate of theirs who was in the bank and asked to sign something, to which the bank staff replied that his signature didn't match. After 5 goes he was losing it so he asked to see the one they had on the system. It turns out the one they had wasn't even his name let alone his signature. So obviously he informed them of this error and they asked if he wanted you change his signature to which he replied he did. Then they asked him to fill out a form with his new signature on it but then insisted it be signed off at the bottom with 'his' old one.

This place really does crack me up sometimes!

heh heh, stupid mad bastards.