British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dubai Brunches.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-brunches-724876/)

commander Jul 14th 2011 12:28 pm

Dubai Brunches....

I am looking for a brunch to attend tomorrow with a group of mates..

nothing too posh..tried Yalumba but its fully booked..

any idea's.....

Meow Jul 14th 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Dubai Brunches....

Have you heard of this really useful magazine/website called Time Out? ;)

25 brunches listed here: http://www.timeoutdubai.com/summer/g...unches?image=2 Includes the basic to the high end and TO claims they all have space when they went to press (usually on a Tuesday).

Not sure if it's on the list, but for a group of people, not expensive or posh, what about Andiamo at Grand Hyatt (Italian food)?

Edit> Also on TO website, a piece about 14 perfect brunches (their words not mine) http://www.timeoutdubai.com/gallery/...rfect-brunches

co durham boy Jul 14th 2011 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9495001)

any idea's.....

The Westin is still pretty good and lively along with the usual suspects of Al Qasr , The Fairmont and Atlantis....There's loads at the top end of the range.

You could move really down market and head to Waxy's if you fancy your feet sticking to the floor by 4.00pm...!

Meow Jul 14th 2011 1:00 pm

If high end food is the priority then Meydan is good, particularly the seafood. The only downside is often a wait for cabs to get back into town afterwards.

commander Jul 14th 2011 1:06 pm

ive booked the Observatory...any feedback/opinions?

Spugsy Jul 14th 2011 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9495001)

any idea's.....

Belgian Beer Cafe, no poncing about, lovely big pints of hooegarden, meatballs, mussels, chips - summat like AED 150, big tables, good laugh.

hnd Jul 14th 2011 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9495062)

Went there last November with a great group of friends. Good selection of food - pork section, great freshly cooked seafood/pasta. First brunch we've ever done in DXB though, and probably the last - we don't have big appetites and don't really enjoy drinking at lunch time. It was the people we were with which made it so enjoyable.

Views from the bar then were fantastic (and for those who like to smoke there's a smoking section so no need to take the ultra slow lift to the ground floor and go outside).

Personally speaking would rather go in happy hour to the bar (or for longer) and graze through the bar menu. We'll be doing this with friends when they visit next month.

NorthernLad Jul 15th 2011 7:17 am

It would be interesting to know how it goes. Last Time Out review said the brunch there is bonkers (beating Yalumba in those stakes).

The Dean Jul 16th 2011 5:37 am

Where is the Observatory??

NorthernLad Jul 16th 2011 8:23 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9498627)
Where is the Observatory??

Marriott hotel, opposite Barasti. Last time I was there they did good deals on happy hour.

flares Jul 16th 2011 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9495104)
Belgian Beer Cafe, no poncing about, lovely big pints of hooegarden, meatballs, mussels, chips - summat like AED 150, big tables, good laugh.

a man after my own heart (attack)

note to self - Belgian Beer Cafe brunch at Abu Dhabi Intercon on the to do list

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 17th 2011 6:15 am

How was it mate?

I've been there a few times at night and the view is mind blowing, didn't eat in the restaurant because menu looked average...but I'd be keen to know what the brunch was like??

kittycat1 Jul 17th 2011 6:19 am

Scamp- I've done a brunch there and had a very good afternoon/night from what I can remember- very very messy- woke up the next day with a bump on my forehead, a handbag of sand and about 6 hours missing from my memory....so if thats your cup of tea its great :D

The Dean Jul 17th 2011 6:26 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9500147)
Scamp- I've done a brunch there and had a very good afternoon/night from what I can remember- very very messy- woke up the next day with a bump on my forehead, a handbag of sand and about 6 hours missing from my memory....so if thats your cup of tea its great :D

.... er.... about those "missing" six hours....... could I speak to you in private please....... ?

kittycat1 Jul 17th 2011 6:49 am

lol Dean what sort of girl do you think I am... actually best not answer that!