British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dubai to ban alcohol in food (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-ban-alcohol-food-660512/)

Desert Rat Mar 22nd 2010 6:25 am

Dubai to ban alcohol in food

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/58417...-ban-to-hotels

This must be another condition of Abu Dhabi or Saudi bailing out Dubai, looks like we are heading the same way as Sharjah

Blue Cat Mar 22nd 2010 6:28 am

Re: Dubai to ban alcohol in food

Originally Posted by Desert Rat (Post 8438015)
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/58417...-ban-to-hotels

This must be another condition of Abu Dhabi or Saudi bailing out Dubai, looks like we are heading the same way as Sharjah

they can't ban it totally they make too much money out of selling it

Desert Rat Mar 22nd 2010 6:41 am

They can if they are told to by the government or by whoever is funding them at the moment.

TGFKASE Mar 22nd 2010 6:49 am

Can't understand why AbDab would let KSA push for a less tolerant society, when all its going to do is drive away more tourists?

Bonny Boy Mar 22nd 2010 7:18 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8438039)
Can't understand why AbDab would let KSA push for a less tolerant society, when all its going to do is drive away more tourists?

If they can fund their society from oil, why have tourists cluttering the place up?

The model of their society is to have underlings working for them, bussed in from remote out of site work camps and sent back home if any trouble is caused.

Western expats (and the professional Asians) have been given more latitude to live their 'normal' lives, but one suspects they may be tiring of us.

Given the circumstances back home, it's all very well to say: "Well I'm off then" if the 'lifestyle' here becomes less comfortable. Fact is, there are plenty of people after work who would be happy to come out to the new reality.

littlejimmy Mar 22nd 2010 7:20 am

No more rum and raisin ice cream, eh?

lionheart Mar 22nd 2010 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8438019)
they can't ban it totally they make too much money out of selling it

I don't see why not coz how many meals contain alcohol as ingredients other than moules mariniere, steak & guinness pie and a few other delicacies? After all, they are not banning alcohol being served with the meal.

expat.brat Mar 22nd 2010 8:14 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8438160)
I don't see why not coz how many meals contain alcohol as ingredients other than moules mariniere, steak & guinness pie and a few other delicacies? After all, they are not banning alcohol being served with the meal.

...yet.

given the events of the past few months, even i - the dubai optimist - am left wondering where this is all going. if they ban alcohol from being served they will undo their tourism campaigns of the last decade in a single stroke. and i will pull my investments out of dubai.

TGFKASE Mar 22nd 2010 9:14 am

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 8438170)
...yet.

given the events of the past few months, even i - the dubai optimist - am left wondering where this is all going. if they ban alcohol from being served they will undo their tourism campaigns of the last decade in a single stroke. and i will pull my investments out of dubai.

You would need to find someone to offload those investments to.....!?!?!?!

Meow Mar 22nd 2010 10:27 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8438160)

Quite a lot. French onion soup and lobster bisque traditionally contain alcohol, so does a beurre blanc sauce and lots of other sauces.

Bloody stupid rule. :thumbdown:

-

expat.brat Mar 22nd 2010 11:43 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8438248)
You would need to find someone to offload those investments to.....!?!?!?!

profit margins might not be what the used to in the pre-2008 days, however there still are willing buyers. dont forget that there is a sizeable tourist/investment demographic (mainly regional arrivals) that really aren't that bothered if they can't have vodka jelly shots at friday brunch

lionheart Mar 22nd 2010 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8438383)
Quite a lot. French onion soup and lobster bisque traditionally contain alcohol...

You learn something new every day.:)

Hello.Kitty Mar 22nd 2010 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8438595)
You learn something new every day.:)

Lots of sauces... Bolognaise strictly speaking should have too... and then there's tiramisu, rum baba... my bread pudding...

DesertOcean Mar 22nd 2010 2:29 pm

Doesn't the alcohol dissipate during the cooking process leaving only the flavor of the spirit:confused:

Hello.Kitty Mar 22nd 2010 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by DesertOcean (Post 8438817)
Doesn't the alcohol dissipate during the cooking process leaving only the flavor of the spirit:confused:

allegedly! ;)

Depends how much you put in. You can easily get trashed on my family's variation on Christmas pudding and associated sauces...