British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Is Dubai back? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-back-788690/)

shiva Feb 26th 2013 4:36 am

Is Dubai back?

Is Dubai back? Discuss

I think it is, based soley on misplaced confidence and the usual propaganda but I actually think we have the beginnings of a bubble again.

I'm a firm believer that confidence no matter how misplaced is a big driver in a place like Dubai and it does seem as though that is back.

Traffic, rents, general pains in the arse are all on the up. Mega ridiculous projects are being launched again and so on. The 140 odd billion that's still outstanding has been forgotten as Arab spring money flees the Maghreb.

For me it means business is on the up which is never a bad thing but I can't help be amazed that people's memories are so short

Are we back and how long before everyone remember the massive debt pile ?

Blue Cat Feb 26th 2013 4:40 am

Re: Is Dubai back?

agreed, we are heading for another bubble.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 5:01 am

Could be right.

I'm getting more calls from ****ing idiots in the UK demanding double their gross salary plus a villa plus schooling plus two cars plus bills paid to take a Construction Manager job.

Blue Cat Feb 26th 2013 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10569827)
Could be right.

I'm getting more calls from ****ing idiots in the UK demanding double their gross salary plus a villa plus schooling plus two cars plus bills paid to take a Construction Manager job.

that says it all, sounds like Dubai 7 years back.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10569830)
that says it all, sounds like Dubai 7 years back.

It kills me.

I love hearing UK candidates get excited when I call them from Dubai...only to tell them that the options are Qatar, Saudi or some backward European country.

weasel decentral Feb 26th 2013 5:05 am

Time to polish up the old CV again, these past years struggling to get back on 250k a year have been hard.

This time around I think a spell with a developer would be good. (until the taps turn off again :) )

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 5:07 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10569837)
Time to polish up the old CV again, these past years struggling to get back on 250k a year have been hard.

This time around I think a spell with a developer would be good. (until the taps turn off again :) )

I hear Damac are nice...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

weasel decentral Feb 26th 2013 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10569841)
I hear Damac are nice...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

**** that, I want one of those developers with a world wide presence. So I can go to the Caribbean, South America, Fiji etc to research other developments

dubaiguy2011 Feb 26th 2013 5:27 am

Dubai hasn't got a pot to piss in. FACT.

Dumbo Feb 26th 2013 5:33 am

We had a pay rise last year, first time for 4 years so maybe there is some confidence returning. There seems to be plenty of work around but whether it comes to anything is another matter.

weasel decentral Feb 26th 2013 5:35 am

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011 (Post 10569857)
Dubai hasn't got a pot to piss in. FACT.

I am working on a development scheme to construct the world's largest pot to piss in.
The intention is that Dubai can eventually become synonymous with pissing in pots, and there are many investors lined up to back the scheme.

We are hoping for a successful project and will aim to piss on as many as possible from as great a height as possible.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 5:40 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10569845)
**** that, I want one of those developers with a world wide presence. So I can go to the Caribbean, South America, Fiji etc to research other developments

I can offer you something similar but the research locations are more 'up and coming':

Islamabad
Baghdad
Damascus (Lots of renovation opportunity here)
Tripoli
Benghazi
Algiers

8,000 US a month. Keen?

weasel decentral Feb 26th 2013 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10569866)
I can offer you something similar but the research locations are more 'up and coming':

Islamabad
Baghdad
Damascus (Lots of renovation opportunity here)
Tripoli
Benghazi
Algiers

18,000 US a month plus ridiculous package. Keen?

Your guys have a nicely failing project on the Bahamas with a Chinese contractor, how about that one?

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 6:03 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10569880)
Your guys have a nicely failing project on the Bahamas with a Chinese contractor, how about that one?

Who doesn't fail with Chinese contractors?

You wouldn't like the Caribbean anyway...it's too American and they don't understand sarcasm yet.

How about Delhi?

weasel decentral Feb 26th 2013 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10569890)
Who doesn't fail with Chinese contractors?

You wouldn't like the Caribbean anyway...it's too American and they don't understand sarcasm yet.

How about Delhi?

I meant nicely failing as in able to be saved, I could go for the hammock on the beach with a rum in hand lifestyle. Lack of sarcasm is a small price to pay.

I think my next move will be back to the misty green emerald swirls of Ireland *wipes a tear from my eye and salutes the flag*.

Then being bored and leaving again