Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai audiences..............

Dubai audiences..............

Old Mar 18th 2012, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai audiences..............

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Nothing remotely Arabic. He is an amazing singer and performer from Mali, getting on a bit now but still a proper mickeydazzler. Very distinctive as he is an Albino and also of royal descent so he's not supposed to be demeaning himself as a griot. Better known in the Francophone world, I guess, where he's been reasonably high profile since the mid eighties when he recorded his breakthrough album, Soro, in Paris. For my money though his best records have been the three he has released in the past decade since returning to Bamako. Really distinctive and worth investigating if you love music - I'd suggest to start with Moffou, his 2002 album.
There are at least six words in that post I am bewildered by, but as a music fan of all sorts I will go and have a look for him............
Old Mar 18th 2012, 7:43 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Isn't this the guy who's also worked with Sir Robert of Plant?
I haven't heard anything they've done together but I think you may be right as it rings a bell and RP has been incredibly eclectic with his collaborations. Their voices have a lot of similarities, including sheer power and range, so would probably be quite something. I'm off to search...
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Ah, but it was a disaster. It was 1987 after their first album and they were still not well known outside New York. This was Ohio! They were fifth on a bill of 5 or so rap acts headlined by Whodini (the irony of time, eh) and including Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince (who were quite good - much better than Parents Just Don't Understand would have suggested...). But PE never showed up and nobody seemed too upset except me! They were the only reason I was there. The other disconcerting aspect was that most of the audience were schoolkids. GF, her friend and me were the only ones old enough to buy booze - apart from, embarrassingly, some parents who had come with their kids (I guess they were among the few who just DID understand).

Now you've got me thinking about it, that was the best year of my life for concerts though: Jesus and Mary Chain, Sunny Ade, REM, Pixies, Prince, Earth Wind & Fire, Cameo, Stetsasonic... and ferking George Benson!
I'd love to see the Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff, even if it was just a few tracks. (must include "I think I can beat Mike Tyson"...it's a classic)
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Meow
A bigger irration for me at gigs in the UAE are the people who never bloody shut up and yak the whole way through.

If you can hear people talking at a gig, you are going to the wrong type of gigs and way too far from the speakers. Musicians who have in the past told me to be quiet, I have told to **** off..god I hate accoustic singer song writer type hipsters.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:50 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
If you can hear people talking at a gig, you are going to the wrong type of gigs and way too far from the speakers. Musicians who have in the past told me to be quiet, I have told to **** off..god I hate accoustic singer song writer type hipsters.
No I'm not.

People here are far too fond of their own voices.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I was dragged along to a James Blunt concert once......... at one point, I asked all the people around me to talk louder because I could still hear his singing......
Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by The Dean
I was dragged along to a James Blunt concert once......... at one point, I asked all the people around me to talk louder because I could still hear his singing......
You must have got one of the following to go;

A - Paid
B - Sex