Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai article in the Daily Heil!

Dubai article in the Daily Heil!

Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai article in the Daily Heil!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...-backlash.html

The thing they appear to be missing is that the behaviour of the expats here is really no different to that of the Arabs when they go off on their trips to London, Paris and even Lebanon.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:26 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai article in the Daily Heil!

Originally Posted by benzonar

The thing they appear to be missing is that the behaviour of the expats here is really no different to that of the Arabs when they go off on their trips to London, Paris and even Lebanon.

How's the hand?
Read that & x-referred it into 'Shared Accom' thread.

I honestly don't think you can make a like for like comparison here.
Quotas? Also their behaviour is hardly going to have a knock on effect on the young people of London, Paris & Lebanon in the way -as one interviewee alludes to-the overt behaviour of westerners makes life as little bit more difficult for young Emirati women.......just my 2 fils worth
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

typical misreporting and senstionalising from this rag of a paper...

i'm increasingly seeing groups of local guys wearing dish dashes in bars here, and actually at brunches recently, so they clearly don't have an issue with it...

i just don't see how they would dare stop brunches/free availability of booze...expats and tourists won't like it, and who is going to fill up the gazillions of hotel rooms and apartments etc if everyone stops coming here...

MM, xx
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
typical misreporting and senstionalising from this rag of a paper...

i'm increasingly seeing groups of local guys wearing dish dashes in bars here, and actually at brunches recently, so they clearly don't have an issue with it...

i just don't see how they would dare stop brunches/free availability of booze...expats and tourists won't like it, and who is going to fill up the gazillions of hotel rooms and apartments etc if everyone stops coming here...

MM, xx
Good point - and Eeyore's thread about Dubai being 'rumbled' ties in nicely.

There is sooner or later going to be one hell of a culture clash......

"Look - this is a Muslim country and you should show some respect by conforming to our culture and observing our traditions!"

"Yeah right! There's less than a million of you - and you need FIFTEEN million of us every year. It's what? Ramadan?? Who gives a --------?"
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:49 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Good point - and Eeyore's thread about Dubai being 'rumbled' ties in nicely.

There is sooner or later going to be one hell of a culture clash......

"Look - this is a Muslim country and you should show some respect by conforming to our culture and observing our traditions!"

"Yeah right! There's less than a million of you - and you need FIFTEEN million of us every year. It's what? Ramadan?? Who gives a --------?"
could you imagine
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
could you imagine
Am I wrong then? Sadly not, I fear..........

And I still don't buy into the 'terrorist target' theory (for reasons I and others have pointed out in other threads), but it makes good copy for the readers.

By the way - that must be the longest article ever to appear in the Heil - how the hell will their readers manage to finish it?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:19 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

And I still don't buy into the 'terrorist target' theory (for reasons I and others have pointed out in other threads), but it makes good copy for the readers.

By the way - that must be the longest article ever to appear in the Heil - how the hell will their readers manage to finish it?

it was like a novel!! some bits good, some wrong, some farfetched and some true I agree on the terrorist thing though, but it might keep some of the trash from coming here though
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light

For every 2 Gulf Arabs that go to London, Paris, Beirut etc and drink, there are 8 that go there and still follow their customs, religions, culture etc
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Worldismine
For every 2 Gulf Arabs that go to London, Paris, Beirut etc and drink, there are 8 that go there and still follow their customs, religions, culture etc
And your point would be........??
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Worldismine
For every 2 Brits that go to Dubai and fit in with local customs, there are 8 who go there and still follow their own customs and culture etc

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two statements and why one is construed as good and the other bad.

Last edited by benzonar; Jul 19th 2008 at 2:36 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light

And your point would be........??
My point is; People should not judge them as reflective of the majority.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:53 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

I agree there probably is ' home insurance' in place to protect UAE from terrorist attacks.I am not convinced it can prevent the lone opportunist fundamentalist.

Personally, I wouldn't overtly flaunt or mock any religious/cultural ways of a foreign country I happened to be living in.I am sure the majority on here feel the same Sometimes though,you cannot defend the indefensible and I think some expats' behaviour is unacceptable(even to themselves when sobriety kicks in the next day!)
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

For every 2 Brits that go to Dubai and fit in with local customs, there are 8 who go there and still follow their own customs and culture etc

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two statements and why one is construed as good and the other bad.
Because of stereotypes. Drinking, promiscuity, especially in public is more offensive to Islamic influenced cultures, than praying 5 times a day, not drinking and being conservative etc is to Western culture.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice

an interesting article !! a bit one sided imo but good reading nevertheless....

I would say the social and moral effects of the excesses are different but can not answer if one is as good as the other imho...

i.e excessive drinking = anti social behaviour which could lead to you committing illegal actions in the uae.

fundamentalist cultural/religous views = potential aggressive actions against those with opposing views.

kinda focuses on the effects of the excesses - if that makes sense !!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

As for terrorism,
1) The Maktoums are not hated, unlike the Saud family etc.
2) The UAE has been mostly neutral in this war between America and whoever goes against its will, and Islamist groups are not persecuted there, unlike Egypt etc.
3) Osama Bin Laden and some of the UAE royal family are bona fide friends
4) Dubai is pride and joy of the Muslim world, attacking it will be bad PR for the perpetrators
5) Moe advised George against attacking Iraq
6) Attacking the place where your money is stored would be akin to a surgeon shooting themselves in the hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.