British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dubai 2013 - according to the Telegraph............... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-2013-according-telegraph-785055/)

The Dean Jan 25th 2013 6:07 am

Dubai 2013 - according to the Telegraph...............

1 Attachment(s)
:huh:

Fossildog Jan 25th 2013 7:04 am

Re: Dubai 2013 - according to the Telegraph...............

'Quaffing and slurping', 'red faced Brits', 'champagne and oysters'

Sounds like a well balanced, impartial article.

Meow Jan 27th 2013 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Fossildog (Post 10504528)
'Quaffing and slurping', 'red faced Brits', 'champagne and oysters'

Sounds like a well balanced, impartial article.

I gave up reading after that part. Usual lazy jornalism and such comments are really rather rude about residents as we aren't all like that.

I mean, it's not as if anyone in the UK ever drinks too much and falls over in the street in a drubken state...

:zzz::zzz:

Miss Anne Thrope Jan 27th 2013 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10508064)
I gave up reading after that part. Usual lazy jornalism and such comments are really rather rude about residents as we aren't all like that.

I mean, it's not as if anyone in the UK ever drinks too much and falls over in the street in a drubken state...

Are we getting a little too sensitive? OK, so they rolled out (a not entirely unfair nor inaccurate) stereotype which is pure laziness, but the rest of the piece is hard to argue. A decent summary of current reality I would have said and I can't ever remember defending the Torygraph ever in my life before.....

scot47 Jan 27th 2013 10:14 am

British cities are full of pissheads falling down, throwing up and fighting while inebriated. So what is new ? Welcome to Sodom and Gommorha

Meow Jan 27th 2013 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10508072)
Are we getting a little too sensitive? OK, so they rolled out (a not entirely unfair nor inaccurate) stereotype which is pure laziness, but the rest of the piece is hard to argue. A decent summary of current reality I would have said and I can't ever remember defending the Torygraph ever in my life before.....

No, just bored of cliches and stereotypes.

The Dean Jan 27th 2013 10:23 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10508075)
Dubai is full of pissheads falling down, throwing up and fighting while inebriated. So what is new ? Welcome to Barasti

Corrected that for you.

Fossildog Jan 27th 2013 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10508064)

Yes I stopped reading at that point too. I don't think I have ever quaffed in my life. Slurped once or twice though.

The Dean Jan 27th 2013 4:36 pm

I thought the article was spot on........... :huh:

Miss Anne Thrope Jan 27th 2013 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10508594)
I thought the article was spot on........... :huh:

Oh dear, does this mean we agree? Yikes maybe the Mayans were just off by a few weeks......