Dubai 2013

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:44 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai 2013

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Every city in the Gulf harbours it's dislike for the Emirate of Dubai in some way shape or form yet everyone of them takes something from Dubai in it's planning or infrastructure.
I've always got the impression that it's jealous, because by the time they realised the direction Dubai was going in was the right way, it was already too late and Dubai had locked in all of the key industries.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
I've always got the impression that it's jealous, because by the time they realised the direction Dubai was going in was the right way, it was already too late and Dubai had locked in all of the key industries.
Yeah, but not too jealous that they don't all come here for a weekend piss up every so often...
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 2:04 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai is back and it's back for one simple reason. Confidence.

Not ours as westerners but the confidence of the much much larger population of Arab expats, Indians, Pakistanis, Filipinos and so on.
The vast majority of the people and money here isn't ours and our view is heavily skewed to our own cultural expectations.

Dubai is definately back my only question is how long before the confidence becomes over confidence and the bubble bursts again.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
........ but China and India are now seeing the dramatic end of the economic boom of recent years (some of the economic data coming out of China seems truly frightening). You may be right, but I just cannot see Dubai blossoming in a Shangri-La bubble of prosperity while the world continues to struggle. I hope I'm wrong.
What I heard was that India's so called boom was far more modest than bandied about; the government/business elite cooked the figures. In the case of poverty rate, the Indian government just lowered the daily minimun (to a non livable wage) so they can show the world how they are eradicating poverty.

Not a finance person so wonder what industry person's thoughts are.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
But... the demographics of Dubai have changed darling...China, Russia and India are the biggest group moving here for tourism,business,living etc.
A lot of the schools have seen an increase in families from those countries registering their children. The hotels have more Chinese and Russian clients than ever.
My client list has changed too. I have gone from about 80% western expat and 20% Arab/Asian to a complete reversal.
That's really interesting (well it is to me.) We were here in 2008 and have recently returned to the UAE. I felt like the demographics had really changed - it now feels less Arabic, less Pakistani and more Russian/Chinese.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
That's really interesting (well it is to me.) We were here in 2008 and have recently returned to the UAE. I felt like the demographics had really changed - it now feels less Arabic, less Pakistani and more Russian/Chinese.
That's how I see it too darling.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
That's how I see it too darling.
In ghetto da la retches, we are definitely more Arabic than two years ago. The mosque is jam-packed on a Friday now - it used to be busy, now it is insane.

We have seen a shift from westerners to Muslims (arab more than pak, I feel).
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
In ghetto da la retches, we are definitely more Arabic than two years ago. The mosque is jam-packed on a Friday now - it used to be busy, now it is insane.

We have seen a shift from westerners to Muslims (arab more than pak, I feel).
Apparently Pakistani visas are now impossible to get whereas a few years back it felt like we were living in Pakistan (Abu Dhabi 2008.)
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Golf courses are full of Asians (Korean, Chinese etc) and Russians.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

I'd love to live in South Korea, or just Korea as it's referred to I think Mr Lanark would wet himself at the amount of techy gadgets they have.

I agree with Patsy et al, the demographic is different here, AD is all Indian/Pak/Fil and Arab, here it's evidently Russian and Chinese etc, nice change of scenery though
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
I'd love to live in South Korea, or just Korea as it's referred to I think Mr Lanark would wet himself at the amount of techy gadgets they have.

I agree with Patsy et al, the demographic is different here, AD is all Indian/Pak/Fil and Arab, here it's evidently Russian and Chinese etc, nice change of scenery though
SK is an expensive place to be.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:24 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
I can honestly say I do love the way the talk the place up all the time and imply things are going well and on the up, if only the UK and Ireland took similar attitudes to attempting to build back some confidence
But people in the UK and Ireland aren't as naive and credulous and won't swallow any old bullshit just for the sake of feeling better. Talking somewhere up is fine as long as it's rooted in some kind of reality, otherwise anybody with half a brain will know that they're being fed something brown and smelly.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Eeyore
But people in the UK and Ireland aren't as naive and credulous and won't swallow any old bullshit just for the sake of feeling better. Talking somewhere up is fine as long as it's rooted in some kind of reality, otherwise anybody with half a brain will know that they're being fed something brown and smelly.
Like you said people have a brain and if you are constantly being told how totally shit everything is and there is no point in even trying even the most motivated people will give up. Theres a difference between any old bullshit and total negativity.

I am sick on the news at home telling us how utterly pointless living is, yet 3 people in my own family (In Glasgow) got new/better jobs at the beginning of December, not exactly the hottest time of year for recruitment.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
SK is an expensive place to be.
I know and almost impossible to get a job in, we've looked !!
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The mosque is jam-packed on a Friday now - it used to be busy, now it is insane.
Time to convert back Abu Mini!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.